Red IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jturman35

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am about to brew a Red IPA that i am shooting for that old school spicy/sticky/herbal/ fruity pine character. Any thoughts on this recipe below? The malt bill is based off of Oscar Blues GKnight but shooting for a different hop character so i did my own hop combo. Edited to reflect 90 min boil.

14 lbs 2 row
1lb Carastan Malt
1lb Munich 1
.5lb Carafoam
3oz Choc Malt

.85oz Chinook @ 90 (32ibu)
1oz Simcoe @ 30 (26ibu)
1oz Columbus @ 15 (23ibu)

US05 x 3 packs

3oz Simcoe Dry hop

1.077-1.016 = 8.2%
83 IBUS
16 SRM

Last edited:
Any thoughts on this recipe below?

Malt bill captures the the spirit of the beer (see below).

Hop profile seems appropriate as well (but I haven't brewed with Simcoe recently).

A "Red IPA" at 8.3% with 9%-ish crystal and chocolate malt is probably not an 2020s Red IPA.

Long story short, it looks like G'Knight is a tribute beer, initially brewed in 2005.

"We brew Gordon in tribute to the late Gordon Knight. In addition to opening some of Colorado’s first microbreweries, Knight was a Vietnam vet, grade-A citizen, and huge promoter of craft beer. He lost his life in 2002 while fighting a wild fire outside of Lyons, Colorado."​
-- Internet Archives link (scroll down to the beer named Gordon)​

Oscar Blues GKnight
I couldn't find the beer at their current site, so I looked in the Internet Archives.

This capture, from Aug 9 2020, moves the beer into the "Imperial" Red IPA category.

Internet Archives link:
1702595645898.png

In the Internet Archives, I navigated back to the home page then "time traveled" back to July 2006 (Internet Archives link)
1702596651325.png

A May 2008 description (Internet Archives link) describes the beer using a mix of styles:
1702597316104.png

edits: minor wording and formatting changes.

Last edited:
Look into Red X malt. Half 2 row, half Red X and MAYBE 1/2lb caramel malt. I’ve had great success with this approach, surprisingly simple.

I already have the grains for the above grain bill so for this batch i am going to roll with this recipe unless anyone has suggestions for tweaking. I do want to use Red X at some point it looks to be an interesting malt.

Just to clarify i am not trying to clone G'Knight but rather just use the malt bill for building my own version of a Red IPA. There is a local favorite Red IPA that i am shooting for called MS Fire Ant which is 80 IBU at 8%. When i last had GKnight it was more malty than hoppy. It was also probably aged more as this is a hard beer to get in my area. I am shooting for a pungent Pine earthy with some fruit which is why i substituted Simcoe for the DH rather than use Amarillo.

According to Beersmith my IBUs are well into the red on my slider bar at 80 IBU which i think is a good starting point even though the style calls for 40-70 IBUs. I am shotting for a more old school aggressive Pine tar beer.

My Red IPA clone

Pataskala Red IPA

Red IPA
6.3% / 14 °P
Recipe by
David Edgeley
All Grain

Klarstein Mundschenk 30 L

75% efficiency
Batch Volume: 19 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Mash Water: 23.75 L
Sparge Water: 2.95 L
Total Water: 26.7 L
Boil Volume: 23.83 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.050

Vitals​

Original Gravity: 1.057
Final Gravity: 1.009
IBU (Tinseth): 54
BU/GU: 0.94
Colour: 14 SRM

Mash​

Temperature — 65 °C60 min

Malts (4.785 kg)

2 kg (41.8%) — BESTMALZ BEST Red X® — Grain — 15 SRM
1.5 kg (31.4%) — Crisp Vienna Malt — Grain — 4 SRM
1 kg (20.9%) — Crisp Finest Maris Otter® Ale Malt — Grain — 3.3 SRM
250 g (5.2%) — Weyermann Carared — Grain — 24 SRM
35 g (0.7%) — Weyermann Carafa Special III — Grain — 710 SRM

Hops (95 g)

15 g (28 IBU) — Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) 14.3% — Boil — 60 min
30 g
(17 IBU) — Cascade 7.2% — Boil — 15 min
50 g
(9 IBU) — Cascade 7.2% — Aroma — 20 min hopstand

I am shooting for a pungent Pine earthy with some fruit which is why i substituted Simcoe for the DH rather than use Amarillo.
In the 8% range, take a look at some Double IPA recipes, then find an approach get red color. Double IPAs often use 10% sugar to help promote the hop flavors and push the malt flavors into the background.

There is a pretty good red IPA recipe here on HBT by @TimBrewz that looks similar to what you are after. You might want to scan that thread.

India Red Ale
Funny you posted this, i brewed this back in 2019 and imperialized it using honey. That version only got down to 1.022 which was on the sweeter side. This beer i will pitch 3 packs of US05 for good measure, also going to stick around 80 IBU's to start and tweak the next batch if this turns out like i want.

The Chinook i got is a tad higher AA so i am torn on how much bittering i should roll with. This below is sitting at 83IBU not counting the DH. I brew a lot of NEIPAS and stick around 20 IBU at 60 but this RED has more body so it should hold up to 30-35 IBUs i would think.

1oz Chinook 12.4AA @ 60 (35ibu)
1oz Simcoe @ 30 12AA (26ibu)
1oz Columbus @ 15 16AA (22ibu)

3oz Simcoe Dry hop

Bitterness Ratio 1.116 IBU/SG

I like your hop schedule, should be good. That said, that is A LOT of Simcoe in the dry hop. If you love Simcoe, that should be good because I think it will be intense. I like Simcoe, but usually in combination with other hops because it has a strong/unique flavor.

Only other thing I'd offer up is if I'm making something with a lot of bitterness, I go for 90 minute boils and 90 minute bittering addition. I read about some research that showed 90 minute bittering was found more favorable in tasting than 60 minute. Take it or leave it...

The Gordon GKnight malt bill did call for a 90 min boil. I think you have a point with the 90 min boil and adding to the caramelization that i am looking for. I have seen where others suggest skip the 90 min hop addition and start at 60 min. I guess its a flip of a coin.

I updated the recipe in the original post to reflect the change to a 90 min boil. Can’t wait to see how this turns out.

IMG_1424.jpeg
IMG_1427.jpeg
IMG_1431.jpeg

Last edited:
I use the Brew Boss 240v BIAB system since 2018. I dont have a picture of the brew set during the brew process up but I basically recirculate the mash. Below is my complete garage set up including homemade glycol chiller. I am using the fermentation process to purge my serving keg below.

IMG_1439.jpeg

Last edited:
10 days in the keg and really a great beer! Having a hard time leaving this alone. The hops are the star, not enough malt presence for my liking.

Attachments

• IMG_1841.jpeg
    IMG_1841.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
I'm guessing you went with Carastan regular not carastan light?

What more were you hoping for on the malt side? A description may help guide you? Is the character you are hunting for akin to what you would get from Victory Malt?

Back