Naked City Imperial Rye on tap in Seattle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brew is complete and the brewery is all cleaned up. All total, 8 hours.
DSCN8566.JPG
Hey, that sticker looks familiar
DSCN8565.JPG

and this one's for landhoney

We took about 13 gallons of Stix Red Ale and racked it into a keg. We pitched Wyeast's Lambic Blend and I attached the one dollar barrel. (Rubber stopper with an oak dowel) The keg is sitting in the restaurant at Stix.
one dollar barrel.jpeg

I somehow missed a few photos that should have come at the beginning. Oh well, here they are now

This is the exterior of Stix on a beautiful winter day in Seattle
DSCN8490.JPG
Stix buys their grain pre-crushed from Larry's Brewing Supply in Kent WA because there's no room to mill the grain onsite. Here's the grain for today's batch. Initially staged in the restaurant then brought into the brewery when we're ready to mash in.
grain.jpeg
DSCN8495.JPG
Another picture of the brewery. It's so small, it's like brewing in a German U-boat, We nicknamed the brewery "Das Boot"
DSCN8491.JPG
DSCN8492.JPG

Wow- those pictures are awesome! What a great way to show us your brewday. That's so cool! Thanks for showing all those pictures to us. We can brew vicariously through you!

Wow, I've never seen so much brewing equipment in such a small space. I bet that took a fair amount of planning cramming it all in there.

Great pics.

Originally posted by landhoney
The whole thing? You're too kind. When can I pick it up?

LOL. It's all yours man. Come by anytime!

Thanks everyone, it was a great time. If anyone finds themselves in Seattle and it happens to be a brewday at Stix, you're more than welcome to come on by and help out. Tomas is a lot of fun to work with and with 17 years as a professional brewer, he's a wealth of knowledge.

I'll be sure and update when the beer goes on tap. Would love to meet up with some fellow HBTer's.

That is totally awesome! :rockin: Congrats on the brew. As much work as it was, it still looked like fun to me. :mug:

Brewtopia said:

Thanks everyone, it was a great time. If anyone finds themselves in Seattle and it happens to be a brewday at Stix, you're more than welcome to come on by and help out. Tomas is a lot of fun to work with and with 17 years as a professional brewer, he's a wealth of knowledge.

I'll be sure and update when the beer goes on tap. Would love to meet up with some fellow HBTer's.

Yeah, but we have to bring our own hops...Where the heck am I going to find 10 lbs of hops...No seriously...Where can I find 10 lbs of hops. :tank:

I'm sure this was mentioned before, but one, I can't recall and two, I'm 'on my way', so what was the production capacity of that brewhouse? (i.e. how many barrels can you brew at a time with their mash/kettle config?)

Just curious...

:)

It's an 8.5 barrel (263.5 gallon) brewhouse. Annual production last year was around 500 barrels.

Wow, I can't believe I missed this thread! Ok, I can.. I've been slacking... anyway, dude that rocks! When will it be served? I've been meaning to take a trip up to Seattle to see my bother, might have to do it earlier now!

Best thread ever! The pics of the brew day were awesome! Thanks!

Too bad I couldn't get a taste of this brew on tap, I'm sure it will be great!

Wow great stuff BT. I like how their pump is on wheels. That chiller is the same one we use at my local brewpub. Good job man! :rockin:

Wow, that is awesome. When I make it out to the Seattle area (and someday I will), I'll make sure to look up some Naked City! Congrats!! :mug:

Went into Stix on Friday and casked two Firkins that will be served from the bar top at Stix. The draft version should be on tap by next Friday. There will be a keg or two going to Collins Pub as well.

I tasted it off of the fermenter on Friday and it's really good. Huge grapefruit aroma from copius amounts of Centennial, Cascade & Amarillo hops. We also dry hopped the Firkins with the same three varities.

I'll post here when I know for sure when it's going on tap. It would be great to get some local HBT members together for the occasion. :mug:

Brewtopia said:
Went into Stix on Friday and casked two Firkins that will be served from the bar top at Stix. The draft version should be on tap by next Friday. There will be a keg or two going to Collins Pub as well.

I tasted it off of the fermenter on Friday and it's really good. Huge grapefruit aroma from copius amounts of Centennial, Cascade & Amarillo hops. We also dry hopped the Firkins with the same three varities.

I'll post here when I know for sure when it's going on tap. It would be great to get some local HBT members together for the occasion. :mug:

Man that's awesome. I wish I could get a taste :mug:

Brewtopia said:

Would be awesome to help out one day! I will definately be down to try your brew!

I just spoke to head brewer, Tomas Munoz at Stix. The "Hoptrocity Rye" will be on tap by 5:00pm Friday. :ban:

Anyone want to come down to Stix on Friday for a few beers? :mug:

I'm coming back from a business trip early Friday evening so I'm not sure if I'll make it on Friday. Hopefully you guys don't drink it all. I'll probably head down there Saturday or Sunday though. :ban:

Originally posted by Flipper
Danggggg I am heading out for a business trip on Thursday

What time on Thursday? I'll be at the brewery all day. Come by on your way out of town and I'll pull you a sample from the fermenter.

ALL HBT MEMBERS HEAR THIS!

Please, if you can make it at all, come to Stix on Friday for the tapping of Hoptrocity Rye. I would love to meet more NW HBT members and it will surely be a great night.

The beer is tasting awesome at this point. We may even pour a Firkin from the bar top! :mug:

Damn, I was really hoping to be there for the big night. Are there any plans to bottle some of this, I definately want to try one before the first batch is gone. I'm going to plan on coming over next weekend if you'll be around, I'll know for sure in the next couple of days.

Edit: Forgot next weekend was just after Valentine's Day. I'll be taking the SWMBO out then. I'm going to try to swing coming over for a little bit this Saturday, if it works for you. If not then the following weekend after next.

Good Luck with the Hoptrocity Premeire, the beer is going to rock and start establishing the Naked City name in the Seattle area.

We will probably bottle some of it. Tom wants to enter it in the North American Beer Awards.:rockin:

I'll also be getting a keg for my kegerator.

I'll be around next weekend so come on by.

EDIT - I'll also be around this Saturday if you make it over. I have to check Stix schedule now though. They have winter hours in place so they don't open until 4PM during the week. Not sure what the weekend hours are yet.

Awesome. Be sure to post some pics from friday night. I love Rye-PA's and would love to try this one...

I'l llikely be hitting Seattle in the fall for a Seahawks game some weekend. Never been to Stix. Might have to include it in my plans. I'll be on the lookout for some Naked City when I'm in town.

No go this weekend, or next. But good to go for sure the following. If your around, I'll be there. Also plan on hitting up the cask festival in March.

That'll actually work out great. You'll be in town for the Real Strong Ale Festival at Collins Pub on the 23rd.

And there should be Hoptrocity still to be had. Seth at Collins is getting a keg.

Rock on. Talk about the perfect luck, my trip coinciding with the Strong Brew festival. That is definately a place I want to be.

We had a great time tonight.!

The beer came out great and we had an incredible turnout.

A very special thanks to shmevinator and seawort for coming by.

Here are a few pics.

Hoptrocity tap in the lineup
Hoptrocity 020.jpg

We also poured a cask version of Hoptrocity
Hoptrocity 005.jpg

L-R (forgive me for not remembering names) shmevinator's friend, shmevintor's SWMBO, shmevinator and seawort in the brewery at Stix
Hoptrocity 007.jpg

A full bar
Hoptrocity 009.jpg

The beer!
Hoptrocity 018.jpg

Latest posts

Back