my homebrew made me sick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumpwater

Reaction score
After being away from home for a month at work i finally made it home last wensday.I botteled a pale ale 2 days before i went to work so that gave it 33 days to bottel condition. My wife put a 6pk in the frige 2 days before i got home,and i opened one as soon as i walked in the house.oh man that was good so i put another six in the fridge.I finished off the first 6 and started on the next one and put another 6 in the fridge.After 14 beers and a cheesburger i puked in the trashcan. The burger was good so i'm pretty sure my brew must be infected:D Any suggestions?lol.

stumpwater said:
After being away from home for a month at work i finally made it home last wensday.I botteled a pale ale 2 days before i went to work so that gave it 33 days to bottel condition. My wife put a 6pk in the frige 2 days before i got home,and i opened one as soon as i walked in the house.oh man that was good so i put another six in the fridge.I finished off the first 6 and started on the next one and put another 6 in the fridge.After 14 beers and a cheesburger i puked in the trashcan. The burger was good so i'm pretty sure my brew must be infected:D Any suggestions?lol.

I think your beer is infected with ethanol, pour out all imo.

I had a food related problem this weekend. I had a hamburger too, with about 4 pints of my wheat ale. I swear to God that that hamburger gave me a headache the next morning when I woke up!

The only thing better than your homebrew making you sick is a bunch of other people's homebrew making you sick! Thanks, Homebrewer Appreciation Party!

14 beers, well, after 14 beers I think that would make anyone sing to the round porcelain choir, especially after a douse of dead cow between two pieces of bread and veggies.

My guess is it was not your beer. If your beer was infected, you would have probably puked after the first or second one.

-TripHops

:tank:

I've had this happen to me before but without the hamburger part, I cant remember what I ate for some reason. But I was watching football for the better part of the day and was drinking homebrewed american stout mostly. Towards the end of the night and probably a dozen or so beers later I was putting whiskey in my beer. Later that night I got extremely disoriented and ended up vomiting on SWMBO's mom's car. I bet someone didnt whip themselves properly after going to the bathroom and got into the snacks, yeah defiantly tainted food.

I'm no expert, but I know someone who is. Let me give you my address so you can send a few samples over and I'll pass them along...

I've had this happen to me before but without the hamburger part, I cant remember what I ate for some reason. But I was watching football for the better part of the day and was drinking homebrewed american stout mostly. Towards the end of the night and probably a dozen or so beers later I was putting whiskey in my beer. Later that night I got extremely disoriented and ended up vomiting on SWMBO's mom's car. I bet someone didnt whip themselves properly after going to the bathroom and got into the snacks, yeah defiantly tainted food.

Pretty kinky household you have

Maybe the beer was not infected. Maybe you are allergic to the 14th beer. In future go straight from No. 13 to No. 15 and carry on from there?

14 beers is definitely too much. You need a kegerator and a Liter mug. That way you could only have 4 or 5 each night. Moderation is key! :D

I have had the same thing happen and it seems to also be at right around that quantity consumed. I hope we can get to the bottom of this!

It sounds like he got to the bottom of it...about 14 times. :cross:

I don't know about the rest of you, but if I were a married man home after a month away for work I know I'd be lusting after more than just my homebrew...

I can see some lobbyist in Alabama using this thread as "proof that home brew makes you sick!!!!"

"Even the homebrewers themselves aknowledge its poison"

"What's wrong wit da beer we got? It drink purty good, don't it?"

Your assumption was correct, your beer was most definitely infected. So infected that it killed cells in your brain and dehydrated vital organs. To cure your infection, hydrate yourself very well, wait 24 hours, then do it again.

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago with my Dunkelweisen. I kept drinking and drinking to find off flavors. I don't remember if I found any or not.

I am glad I stumbled onto this thread. I was worried my homebrew was infected also. I have have never threw up from drinking it but for some reason after 14 or so it causes short term memory loss. :cross:

After that she's probably counting the days until your gone for another month.:D

Just to clear things up, drinkin the beer was actually the second thing i did, uh huh and the brew was one of my best so far.I think the cascade is to blame, 3oz. in 5 gal. and i love it. Drinkin one now and i feel pretty safe lol. And my wife was very proud of me for puking in the trash can instead of the floor

stumpwater said:
Just to clear things up, drinkin the beer was actually the second thing i did, uh huh and the brew was one of my best so far.I think the cascade is to blame, 3oz. in 5 gal. and i love it. Drinkin one now and i feel pretty safe lol. And my wife was very proud of me for puking in the trash can instead of the floor

It keeps getting better. I love it

Be aware that there is a condition known as "holiday heart". Atrial fibrillation can be caused by drinking too much too fast. How do I know? A week ago last Sat. I got an ambulance ride to the ER when I went into a fib by doing just that. You don't wanna do the same thing.

Atrial fibrillation, now thats 2 words i know nothing about but i bet if i told one of my buddy's i had that he would say something like " DID YOU MAKE IT TO THE TOILET SON? "

Back