About to can some wort for starters and I had a thought...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khannon

Guy who really knows where his towel is.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Bear with me..

My normal process is to do 1/2 pint and 1 quart jars of ~1.03 wort with some yeast nutrient.

I'm not asking about this part, it has worked well for me for a few years now
I will (over)build a starter, and put ~8ml of healthy yeast slurry with ~2ml glycerin into the freezer on "deep freeze" mode. A few days before I'm ready to brew, I will pull a sample, thaw overnight, put that into a flask with 1/2 pint canned wort, let it go a day or so, add a quart jar of wort, let it go 1-2 days, pitch into my fresh brew. If I'm at my last sample(actually second to last), I will overbuild again and start over. I have maybe 6 strains that I do this with, and have been happy, but it's a bit of work.

My thought was "What would the consequences be if in my canning stage, I did larger jars(1/2gal), and only filled them to 5-6 pints, and left myself a little more time before the brew, opened the jar, pitched the ~10ml of slurry/glycerin, covered with tin foil and shook it a few times a day, then just pitched that assuming I see good signs of fermentation?" It would cut down on sanitizing the flask and result in only a jar to clean at the end(and the yeast vial).

Probably going to try a few either way, and plan to report back.
Looking to save a few bucks while being as lazy as possible.

Thoughts/suggestions?

What would the consequences be if in my canning stage, I did larger jars(1/2gal), and only filled them to 5-6 pints, and left myself a little more time before the brew, opened the jar, pitched the ~10ml of slurry/glycerin,
I'm afraid the inoculation rate will be far too low to get anywhere near the growth you're aiming for.
https://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

covered with tin foil and shook it a few times a day
If you cap the jar before you shake it, this would be comparable to the s-n-s method, giving you very viable yeast, but not that much growth. Without capping you can't really shake it.

Last edited:
Bear with me..

My normal process is to do 1/2 pint and 1 quart jars of ~1.03 wort with some yeast nutrient.

I'm not asking about this part, it has worked well for me for a few years now
I will (over)build a starter, and put ~8ml of healthy yeast slurry with ~2ml glycerin into the freezer on "deep freeze" mode. A few days before I'm ready to brew, I will pull a sample, thaw overnight, put that into a flask with 1/2 pint canned wort, let it go a day or so, add a quart jar of wort, let it go 1-2 days, pitch into my fresh brew. If I'm at my last sample(actually second to last), I will overbuild again and start over. I have maybe 6 strains that I do this with, and have been happy, but it's a bit of work.

My thought was "What would the consequences be if in my canning stage, I did larger jars(1/2gal), and only filled them to 5-6 pints, and left myself a little more time before the brew, opened the jar, pitched the ~10ml of slurry/glycerin, covered with tin foil and shook it a few times a day, then just pitched that assuming I see good signs of fermentation?" It would cut down on sanitizing the flask and result in only a jar to clean at the end(and the yeast vial).

Probably going to try a few either way, and plan to report back.
Looking to save a few bucks while being as lazy as possible.

Thoughts/suggestions?

There are no safe tested ways of pressure canning in half gallon jars.

https://blogs.extension.iastate.edu/answerline/2019/07/18/canning-in-half-gallon-containers/

When I used to bottle, I bottled up some fresh wort to use for next batch's starter, with the same strict sanitation protocol as bottling beer.
It always worked fine when I wanted to make a starter for one of those rare and expensive smack packs (Back in the '90's).

These days I just run continuous batches with yeast cake that is in fermentor.

Seems like there are a lot of variables one would have to keep track of with OP's proposed method. Yeast is pretty easy to feed & keep going or replace.

But if yeast starter storage is the part of brewing that interests you most, have at it, and let us know results. I prefer to put my efforts into making good beer.

Back