My first batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fracturedman

Reaction score
So, I have been enjoying my first batch now for about a week. It tastes good besides the "gummy" after taste. Not sure why it has that but it does. However, I bottled two of my beers in clear bottles so that I could watch the results. After tasting a regular bottle I decided to put the two clear bottles in direct light for about a day or so. The results where a crisp, clean tasting beer with no funky after taste. It didnt taste skunky, I have to know is there a reason for this? I am assuming the yeast wasnt done doing its thing and When I exposed it to light it killed the yeast.

Just putting your bottles in the light won't kill the yeast, and two days in sunlight isn't enough to turn the beer skunky. You have to abuse it more than that.

So, I have been enjoying my first batch now for about a week. It tastes good besides the "gummy" after taste. Not sure why it has that but it does. However, I bottled two of my beers in clear bottles so that I could watch the results. After tasting a regular bottle I decided to put the two clear bottles in direct light for about a day or so. The results where a crisp, clean tasting beer with no funky after taste. It didnt taste skunky, I have to know is there a reason for this? I am assuming the yeast wasnt done doing its thing and When I exposed it to light it killed the yeast.

By gummy, do you mean "bubblegum" flavor?

Can't recall if it's from esters or phenols, but it's one or the other. Did you ferment warm? Dunno your yeast. But this could be the culprit. It's desirable in some beers but not others. Nice in some Belgians and other beers of that sort.

By gummy, do you mean "bubblegum" flavor?

Can't recall if it's from esters or phenols, but it's one or the other. Did you ferment warm? Dunno your yeast. But this could be the culprit. It's desirable in some beers but not others. Nice in some Belgians and other beers of that sort.

Yes, actually just like bubblegum. The instructions I got from my LHBS said to ferment in warmer temps.

I'm brewing that one right now. My batch got stuck at 1.020 gravity. I repitched yeast on it yesterday to get it started again. When I tasted it on Monday, I think I was getting some of that bubblegum flavor. I'm not sure if too much sugar could be causing the flavor. The Nottingham yeast that came with kit may have been old or bad.

I'm brewing that one right now. My batch got stuck at 1.020 gravity. I repitched yeast on it yesterday to get it started again. When I tasted it on Monday, I think I was getting some of that bubblegum flavor. I'm not sure if too much sugar could be causing the flavor. The Nottingham yeast that came with kit may have been old or bad.

Just curious...What style of beer came in your kit?

The kit never said what the style was supposed to be. Here were the ingredients:

3.3 lbs. Munton's Light Malt Syrup
2 lbs. Extra-Light Briess Dry Malt
.5 lbs. Dry Malt/Malto-Dextrine Blend
.5 lbs. Crystal Malt
.5 oz. Cascade Hops
Nottingham Ale Yeast

A pale ale or amber perhaps?

Don't know Nottingham yeast, but bubblegum would seem very out of place with that beer to me. Just a half oz of cascade? When? Weird recipe.

If I remember correctly, the recipe called for 1/4 oz. for 20 minutes near the end of the boil then the other 1/4 oz. at the end.

Yes, actually just like bubblegum. The instructions I got from my LHBS said to ferment in warmer temps.

Well, they were wrong. With that yeast, you don't want to go over about 70 degrees (beer temperature, not ambient temperature). As you've found out, the yeast doesn't taste very good at higher temperatures.

Back