Mixing WY3724 (or WLP565) with WY3711?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bd2xu

Reaction score
Getting ready to do another Saison. Love the tartness the 3724/565 gives but it takes forever, like 6 weeks, to finish and needs to be up in the 80s. 3711 is a monster, it will ferment a dining room table.

What do ya'll think about pitching a mix of 3724/565 and 3711?

I've done it, it works great if you start fermenting at 60 and then let it free rise into the 80's. I would do two separate starters though because otherwise the 3711 will dominate the 3724 and prevent it from growing

A lot of brewers pitch the 3724, give it some time to develop the flavors you are looking for and then pitch the 3711 to finish up.

If you pitch the 3711 at the start it will just take over.

I havw never had any problem getting 3724 to finish. I just slowly keep ramping up the temp and it never stalls on me. Treat it right and it works just fine.

I've brewed 2 saisons with 3711 and 3724 and I love it. I liked it so much I just combined the cultures for fridge storage. The blend is an absolute monster attenuator. Right now I've got one that went from 1.070 to 1.003. Great spicy saison flavors, bit of citrus, and a smoothness from 3711. The first one had separate starters of equal volume. The second one was a blend of both tossed into a starter. One may have taken over more, but not enough for me to notice. I like the idea of how the culture is slowly evolving, kind of giving my beer its own terroir

I've also added WLP566 to the mix and that was my absolute favorite. I recently got RVA263 (Fantome) and I've only made it in a saison by itself. I want to experiment with mixing that

Latest posts

Back