Mixing Two Different Yeasts in a Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philm63

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to do my first Saison, and I've read using a blend of two different yeasts can give a broader spectrum of classic Saison characters. I'm looking at WLP565 and WY3724.

Can I just mix the two yeasts in a starter and call it good, or should I make a starter for each, crash, decant, blend, then pitch? I'm thinking about how the yeasts will respond during the growth phase as far as producing desired characteristics. Or does this happen in the starter, and again in the fermenter? If so, would it be better to just pitch both packs into one starter?

Can I just mix the two yeasts in a starter and call it good, or should I make a starter for each, crash, decant, blend, then pitch? I'm thinking about how the yeasts will respond during the growth phase as far as producing desired characteristics. Or does this happen in the starter, and again in the fermenter? If so, would it be better to just pitch both packs into one starter?

If you really want to target a specific number of cells for each strain, make two starters. If you do them together, one strain will almost certainly produce more than the other. That said, 3724 and 565 are very closely related, so the difference might not be very much.

Back