MD, DC, DE, South PA Brewday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything wrong with just getting together and brewing what you want on that day?

Sure, that's a possibility, but requires more burners. :)

At least everyone should split into 10g batches whenever possible to reduce the amount of boil time/burners.

If we want to do multiple 10g batches, I think that's a swell idea.

Clap: you want the other 5 gallons of our nicely balanced Alt? :)

Also - the reason I like to get well prepared is that we can get the ingredients in hand before brew day that way if someone bails out who's responsible for one item (hops, Munich Malt, etc) doesn't cripple the brew session while we run out scrambling for ingredients.

Sure, that's a possibility, but requires more burners. :)

At least everyone should split into 10g batches whenever possible to reduce the amount of boil time/burners.

If we want to do multiple 10g batches, I think that's a swell idea.

Clap: you want the other 5 gallons of our nicely balanced Alt? :)

Also - the reason I like to get well prepared is that we can get the ingredients in hand before brew day that way if someone bails out who's responsible for one item (hops, Munich Malt, etc) doesn't cripple the brew session while we run out scrambling for ingredients.
I was planning on bringing all my equipment along, unless space is a problem where we are brewing? I've done three group brews in the past year and that is what we did on our group brew days. As far as hops go, I have a boatload of mostly extra leaf and some pellet, I over ordered expecting a shortage again but luckily that has changed. I'll do an inventory of what I have in the freezer and post it on here. I paid about $2.25 per ounce which would include shipping on most of them.

I was planning on bringing all my equipment along, unless space is a problem where we are brewing?

Likewise. I'd bring all necessary ingredients and equipment to make whatever I choose to brew.

Getting consensus on a single style/recipe is no doubt daunting, so I admire your chutzpah.

The only problem with everyone doing there own thing is that we would all have to stay sober enough to brew :(

Grrr...

Does ANYONE want 5 gallons of the POSTED (and style correct) Alt? :)
I like the Alt beers very much. How about you and I split two batchs? I'd like to brew the Alt based on a recipe from Horst book on Alt beers. To get a good authentic alt you need to do step mashes. A rest at 122, 144 and 154. My mash keg and false bottom is set up well for doing the step mashes. I have all the ingredients for an 11 gal batch. We can split this batch and you could brew a second 11 gal batch that we would also split. This way we end up with two different beers.

I like the Alt beers very much. How about you and I split two batchs? I'd like to brew the Alt based on a recipe from Horst book on Alt beers. To get a good authentic alt you need to do step mashes. A rest at 122, 144 and 154. My mash keg and false bottom is set up well for doing the step mashes. I have all the ingredients for an 11 gal batch. We can split this batch and you could brew a second 11 gal batch that we would also split. This way we end up with two different beers.

see you got it all wrong!

your supposed to antagonize alan more :)

Maybe Data should edit the first post with the time/date that has been (somewhat) agreed upon.

Looks like it's BYO equipment and ingredients and we'll brew whatever shows up.

I've been around a little but not much at all. I didnt see that last post. What is the date that we have settled on?

Maybe Data should edit the first post with the time/date that has been (somewhat) agreed upon.

Looks like it's BYO equipment and ingredients and we'll brew whatever shows up.
Last date I remember that we agreed on was May 16.

Correct. May 16, starting at 10:00am. I'll be there earlier (I live there) if you guys want to start earlier, but I know with people traveling 1-1.5 hours for the gathering, I don't want to start at 8am :)

Pick your poison. I've been thinking I need to brew a Biere de Garde or maybe a BGSA, or even a Flanders Red. The Roselare blends should be available now.

Hey - I'd be interested in splitting a 10 Gallon batch of BSGA if you're interested. I have a load of saaz that would work nicely in a BGSA.

I had a Rodenbach Grand Cru in Ireland last week. It tasted like a dog's bo*****s. Not good in other words.

Oops - this is in reposnse to Clap's above email.

Rodenbach Grand Cru is one of my favorites as well, though I'll admit that it is not a beer that jives with everyone's palate. There are some rich vinous notes - very winelike.

Cugel - here's a recipe I was tooling around with, based on Vinnie Cilurzo's recipe in BLAM :

[size=+2]Vinnie's Strong Golden[/size]
[size=+1]18-D Belgian Golden Strong Ale[/size]
Author: Vinnie Cilurzo
Date: 3/30/09

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 80%
Attenuation: 85%
Calories: 265.48 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.080 (1.070 - 1.095)
|==============#=================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.005 - 1.016)
|==================#=============|
Color: 4.8 (3.0 - 6.0)
|=================#==============|
Alcohol: 9.03% (7.5% - 10.5%)
|================#===============|
Bitterness: 32.2 (22.0 - 35.0)
|====================#===========|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
10 lb Pilsner Malt
8.0 oz White Wheat Malt
8.0 oz Munich Malt
2.0 lb White Table Sugar (Sucrose)
1 oz Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 90 min
1 oz Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1 oz Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
1.0 ea White Labs WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale

[size=+1]Schedule:[/size]
00:03:00 Dough In - Liquor: 3.5 gal; Strike: 160.91 °F; Target: 149 °F
01:33:00 Saccharification Rest - Rest: 90 min; Final: 147.0 °F
02:03:00 Lautering - First Runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 145 °F, 10 min; Sparge #1: 2.66 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 10.0 min; Sparge #2: 2.66 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 10.0 min; Total Runoff: 7.69 gal

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.2[/size]

Feel free to adjust it as you'd like - I'm tentative on the Spring Brew Out; it all depends on how my rugby team does during playoffs. I may be in Columbia, SC for the Sweet Sixteen on the 16th.

Back