Avoiding O2 at all costs for wedding NEIPA - My Low O2 Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan_Marino

Reaction score
tl;dr using corny keg to act as blowoff vessel during fermentation while simultaneously purging the very same keg to act as my primary conditioning vessel

After my last post on Reddit I have decided to spin up another batch and hope for the best by wedding date in 4 weeks.

I took a lot of their insights and feedback, plus some YouTube vids etc. to come up with a system I hope works to keep O2 the f*** outa my beer.

Ok here goes.

First off - I have a pressure transfer system from grainfather that will play an important part for both preventing suck back during cold crash and also closed transfer for racking to primary.

Here's a pic of the setup

another pic

Edit: updated system using a normal lid and the OUT line going to my PLAATO bubbler to track fermentation.

As fermentation gets going in the fermentor - the transfer tube, raised above the wort, will feed into an empty corny keg via the IN post

This will enable normal fermentation while preventing suckback as the corny keg acts as a 5gal volume of CO2 to normalize pressure in the fermentor as the temperature swings quickly (e.g., cold crashing). Additionally I have a third line from a CO2 tank attached to the same pressure transfer TriLock for which I can set to 1psi to prevent any minor crumpling to my fermentor.

To dry hop for a couple days between end of fermentation and cold crash I will be using these Sous vide magnets to lower my 12oz of hops into the wort(3bags of 4oz - 6 magnets total). Again avoiding any lid opening or risk of O2

The blowoff/primary keg will already have 2ndary dry hops (hop bombs) inside and the fermentation process itself will have purged the keg of all O2 so it is ready to now serve as my primary conditioning vessel. This has another potential benefit of adding some aroma since the outgasses will be yeast produced and not pure CO2.

Lastly, lower the transfer tube into my beer and using the same pressure transfer system, I simply swap via quick connects the gas ball fitting for the liquid and fill the blowoff keg, currently purged from fermentation) with my beer as I allow the CO2 to escape via the IN post which I have swapped after cold crashing.

I have a beergun and canning system from Oktober and plan to follow the "cap on foam" technique. Not much else I can think to do at canning time to prevent O2, will sprinkle some ascorbic acid into each can and hope for the best - at this point it's drink and shelf ready I spose, and we will tell folks to drink within a couple weeks for ultimate freshness.

What say y'all!? Any feedback is HIGHLY appreciated!

If you run the fermentation gas through the out tube you will get suckback of any liquid (ie starsan) that’s in the keg and that will go into the fermenter. Ask me how I know. lol 😂.

If you run the fermentation gas through the out tube you will get suckback of any liquid (ie starsan) that’s in the keg and that will go into the fermenter. Ask me how I know. lol 😂.
and we're back to fermentation gas though the IN tube. What a rollercoaster

You shouldn't have suckback unless you cool the wort significantly after you hook up the hose to the fermenter, or the keg is pressurized.

Brew on :mug:

Back