Driving Coast-to-Coast in a Miata....with DC plates. Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramling Cross

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We've reached the point in the kidney donation process where I need to leave DC and drive back to Portland, OR for a few months so that they can gut me like a fish and get my sister the hell off of dialysis. To do so, I will be saddling up my slow, gay, hairdresser's car (the usual Miata jokes) and driving across the country in late-October/early-November...with DC plates.

My family is from Northern Nevada, Eastern Oregon, and Southern Idaho. I know how to drive low-key fast as blazes on the West side of the Rockies--assuming the plates don't get me trouble, I'm confident. I've also learned how to do that in the area East of the Ohio Valley--I've spent the past 25 years learning this region in a methodical, scientific fashion. If I'm honest with myself, I could've done the same in about 12hrs with the aid of 2g of PCP and an earnest desire to outrun the head snakes devouring my brain.

But I didn't know that 25 years ago, cut me some slack.

That leaves me with the Ohio Valley, across the Mississippi and the never-ending Plains, and up to the Rockies. What is the driving culture like out there? How do you go low-key fast between the Ohio Valley and the Rockies? And while I get a kick out of making fun of my hairdresser's car, it's the DC plates that worry me...you don't see too many of them West of PA.

The car is prepped with excellent Michelin all-seasons, <25K miles, regular maintenance has been performed religiously, and all fluids have been changed in preparation. The car is solid, it's the driving culture that I'm curious about. In my 20's I was pulled over twice and issued warnings, but I've never gotten an actual speeding ticket--I'm always pushing it, but never asking for it.

Any tips you have for going low-key fast across the middle of the country would be most appreciated. How much should I worry about the DC plates?

Thanks for your time!

You'll see a lot of flat open country out there, but just be aware they can hide in the roads that turn off into the fields just as well as they can behind anything else. What I do when I see a rise is I take a good look at what's ahead, and if it's open like it usually is, go for it. If there are tall fields, be careful. It's not just DC plates there, it's ANY out of stater.

Oregon can be hit or miss in Oct/Nov..Cabbage Hill can be clear or a foot of snow.. feel free to PM for a pint of beer when you are in Oregon..I live in Beaverton and there are plenty of places to get a local made pint.

Last edited:
We've reached the point in the kidney donation process where I need to leave DC and drive back to Portland, OR for a few months so that they can gut me like a fish and get my sister the hell off of dialysis. To do so, I will be saddling up my slow, gay, hairdresser's car (the usual Miata jokes) and driving across the country in late-October/early-November...with DC plates.

That leaves me with the Ohio Valley, across the Mississippi and the never-ending Plains, and up to the Rockies. What is the driving culture like out there?
Great, I’m glad you are getting to do this, and wish you and your sister a successful procedure with a complete recovery.

The car is prepped with excellent Michelin all-seasons, <25K miles, regular maintenance has been performed religiously, and all fluids have been changed in preparation. The car is solid, it's the driving culture that I'm curious about. In my 20's I was pulled over twice and issued warnings, but I've never gotten an actual speeding ticket--I'm always pushing it, but never asking for it.
Please tell me your Miata is not red. 😀 that would help. I lived in Nebraska for a few years and drove myself back and forth a number of times, never in a sport car, but usually pushing it. If you’re the dude weaving in and out of traffic or shooting by at 90 when everyone is just 10 mph over the limit obviously you could get singled out and the out of state plates won’t help much as stated before. Be safe and be well.

Miata driver here... NC1 PRHT What model do you have? If you have an NC or an ND you should be fine. I should say I've never driven that area of the country, but a newish car should fly under the radar. Get an oil change when you hit your destination and another when back home.
Make sure to wave when you see another Miata...lol

EDIT: Just saw your mileage, so must be ND

Please tell me your Miata is not red. 😀 that would help. I lived in Nebraska for a few years and drove myself back and forth a number of times, never in a sport car, but usually pushing it. If you’re the dude weaving in and out of traffic or shooting by at 90 when everyone is just 10 mph over the limit obviously you could get singled out and the out of state plates won’t help much as stated before. Be safe and be well.
Sadly, it's not arrest-me-red--that would be so much more pleasurable to live with.

Unfortunately, the correct car at the right time at the (less than) correct price happened to be black. First black car I've ever owned and I swear it'll be my last! The smallest bird dropping visibly etches the clear coat. Tree sap etches the clear. I have to clay the stupid thing weekly. I tend to drive a car for a good twenty years, so by the time I'm done with this one, I'll be clinically insane and the care will be polished down to bare metal.

As for weaving, that's not my style. I keep it in the right lane with the cruise set at 5-15mph over, depending upon what I observe around me. If I find a clump of mouth-breathers running door-to-door across all three lanes with a big clump of cars behind them (a common E. Coast thing, typically VA, GA, or PA plates in the left lane) I'll work my way through them, but always smoothly. You don't ever want to look like the maniac.

Miata driver here... NC1 PRHT What model do you have? If you have an NC or an ND you should be fine. I should say I've never driven that area of the country, but a newish car should fly under the radar. Get an oil change when you hit your destination and another when back home.
Make sure to wave when you see another Miata...lol
ND1, soft top. Brilliant car! I've never owned a car that I'm more confident in making this trip. It's so amazingly well put together. I drove a BMW Z3 for 25 years prior to this and while the first 20 years were amazing (the last five were like living with the Marque De Sade) the ND is so amazingly evolved and perfectly refined. There simply isn't a better sports car--it has no compromises, unless you want it to be something other than a sports car.

I always wave and blink during the day, wave out the window at night. 😍

Yup, oil there and transmission fluid, and the same when I get home!

My wife and I have done a lot of cross-country road trips, including the Alaska Highway last month. We've driven from Minneapolis to San Diego and back a few times, doing it in 3 days each way.

Keep a good spare and a few basic tools. Sounds like your car is in great shape. Watch the weather forecasts, as it's not unusual to snow this time of year in the northern Rockies. If you do go a northern route (I-94), and plan to come through the Twin Cities, send me a PM. Maybe we could meet for a brew or coffee.

Your DC plates won't get anyone's attention, especially if you travel interstates and major 2-lane highways. You'll see plates from dozens of states. Driving a Miata won't draw many looks, either. It's not like in the movies where rednecks are out there, looking to hassle out-of-state drivers. Some of the western states have speed limits of 75 or 80, but be careful, as some troopers may not give you more than 5 miles over the limit. South Dakota, in particular, allows 80 on the Interstates, but can have a "zero tolerance" for speeding. Still, you'll see people going 90 or more. Do that at your own peril.

Boredom will be your biggest enemy, especially in some of the plains states. For me, taking lots of short breaks is better than a few long ones. Bring lots of tunes, as radio is bleak out in a lot of those places. Depending on your carrier, cell coverage is generally good all along the major routes, though there can be some dead spots.

Have a good trip and be safe!

Back