malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cch0830

Reaction score
If a recipe calls for 2-row pale malt, can you use Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt or Briess Pale Ale Malt? Or are they all three different? Also, can you use Briess Pale Ale Malt when the recipe calls for British Pale Ale Malt? Or are these two also different? And what is the difference, if there is any, between crystal malt, crisp crystal malt, and caramel malts. Feel free to elaborate on the numbering behind them as well (ex. Briess 2 Row Caramel 40 or Crisp Crystal Malt 15L). Trying to learn my grains.

If a recipe calls for 2-row pale malt, can you use Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt or Briess Pale Ale Malt? Or are they all three different? Also, can you use Briess Pale Ale Malt when the recipe calls for British Pale Ale Malt? Or are these two also different? And what is the difference, if there is any, between crystal malt, crisp crystal malt, and caramel malts. Feel free to elaborate on the numbering behind them as well (ex. Briess 2 Row Caramel 40 or Crisp Crystal Malt 15L). Trying to learn my grains.

You can use any US maltster's base malt interchangeably, but you may find that you prefer one over another. They have minor flavor differences.

For English malt, you can sub US malt but the taste won't be the same. British malts tend to be kilned a bit more and taste 'warmer' for lack of a better word.

Crystal and caramels are basically made the same way and are interchangeable, except as noted that English crystal malts may have a slight flavor difference than, say, Belgian or US cara- type malts.

It's like ketchup, in that I might like Heinz while you prefer Hunt's. Neither is bad, and they are both ketchup, but I prefer one over another. Malt would be the same way. They are still base malts, but pale ale malt might be breadier while the English floor-malted malt may be warmer and richer tasting.

It really depends on the beer style, the other ingredients, and the brewer's preferences.

Yooper said:
You can use any US maltster's base malt interchangeably, but you may find that you prefer one over another. They have minor flavor differences.

For English malt, you can sub US malt but the taste won't be the same. British malts tend to be kilned a bit more and taste 'warmer' for lack of a better word.

Crystal and caramels are basically made the same way and are interchangeable, except as noted that English crystal malts may have a slight flavor difference than, say, Belgian or US cara- type malts.

It's like ketchup, in that I might like Heinz while you prefer Hunt's. Neither is bad, and they are both ketchup, but I prefer one over another. Malt would be the same way. They are still base malts, but pale ale malt might be breadier while the English floor-malted malt may be warmer and richer tasting.

It really depends on the beer style, the other ingredients, and the brewer's preferences.

So if I was making a Pale Ale I could use all those malts interchangeably and the outcome would be about the same? ...minus, US vs British.

So if I was making a Pale Ale I could use all those malts interchangeably and the outcome would be about the same? ...minus, US vs British.

Yes, pretty much. The pale ale malt might be a little darker than brewer's two-row, but it's about the same as far as gravity points, etc.

I tend to like to use Rahr for my American pale ales, because it's pretty neutral and it's cheap. Briess has a bit more flavor, but I don't know if I could really pick them out if they were side-by-side.

Yooper said:
Yes, pretty much. The pale ale malt might be a little darker than brewer's two-row, but it's about the same as far as gravity points, etc.

I tend to like to use Rahr for my American pale ales, because it's pretty neutral and it's cheap. Briess has a bit more flavor, but I don't know if I could really pick them out if they were side-by-side.

Awesome. Thanks for the quick lesson.

Back