Briess malt question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoochin'Fool

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm contemplating some mash brews/experiments (have been all extract+steeping grains so far), and wondering why (for NorthernBrewer, at least), the Briess "pale ale malt" @ $1.99/lb is so much more expensive than Briess "2-row brewer's malt" @ $1.19/lb

Last edited:
I'm contemplating some mash brews/experiments (have been all extract+steeping grains so far), and wondering why (for NorthernBrewer, at least), the Briess "pale ale malt" @ $1.99/lb is so much more expensive than Briess "2-row brewer's malt" @ $1.19/lb
Pale ale malt is processed a bit more, but it shouldn't make that big of a price difference. Possibly the 2-row is a cheaper variety.

My numbers here are from 2021 for my LHBS group buy.

2-row 1.5-2.0 .941/lb 47.05/sack
Pale Ale 3.2-3.6 .956/lb 47.80/sack
Pilsen .9-1.2 .956/lb 47.80/sack

Edited with slightly more recent info.
Excellent comparison! ^

BSG right now lists Rahr 2-row at 1.8-2.3 °L
https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/rahr-standard-2-row/
Rahr themselves lists it slightly differently:
1.7-2.0 °L

It used to be, and probably still is, a 50/50 blend of Harrington and Metcalf barley, grown in the western US.

So is there any reason to choose the "pale-ale malt" instead of the cheaper (at least with locally available for pick-up) "2-row brewer's malt", like taste-wise?

The darker base malts have more flavor compounds from Maillard and other reactions, and generally a more "malty" flavor. The lighter ones (like plain 2-row brewers malt and especially pilsner malts) tend to taste more crisp and "grainy."

So is there any reason to choose the "pale-ale malt" instead of the cheaper (at least with locally available for pick-up) "2-row brewer's malt", like taste-wise?
(echoing what @DBhomebrew and @VikeMan said): I get different flavors from different malts (brewers malt, pale ale malt) as well from different brands (Briess, Rahr, Great Western) of the same malt. I haven't brewed with Maris Otter or Golden Promise for a while, but they should also offer a slightly different flavor.

If you can get to a local home brew store with a grain room, chew on a couple of kernels to get an idea of what the malt has to offer. For base malts, Briess brewers malt and Maris Otter are a ways apart in terms of flavor. With crystal malts, start by comparing a Crystal 40 to a Crystal 80.

Pale ale malt is processed a bit more, but it shouldn't make that big of a price difference. Possibly the 2-row is a cheaper variety.
There's been some big price increases this year due to higher grain and energy costs (particularly in Europe), I suspect what's happening here is a retailer with stock from different years, the 2-row is 2021 and the pale malt is 2022.

There's been some big price increases this year due to higher grain and energy costs (particularly in Europe), I suspect what's happening here is a retailer with stock from different years, the 2-row is 2021 and the pale malt is 2022.

Very likely, IMO. Under normal circustances, briess 2-row and briess pale ale malt have similar pricing, IME. I just looked at MoreBeer and both are $1.99 at the moment.

Back