2 Row Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
I am looking towards my next 2 brews and found a couple of cool recipes. One is a pretty basic write up and states to use 8 lbs of 2 row. That is all it says. It is supposed to be a Pale Ale and will also include Carapils and Caramel 40l and a small amount of Corn Sugar. My question to the masses is this. What is the difference between 2 Row and 2 Row Pale and 2 Row extra pale? Also, there are different companies as well. I have used Briess and Viking, but Rahr is one I don't think I have used, so I am wondering what that brings to the table? Any input on the differences in a Pale Ale style? Thanks in advance.

The differences are the color - and to an extent, intensity of flavor - from extra kilning.
Generally "Two row" and "pale" are nearly interchangeable, but "extra pale" would be moving towards something like Vienna...

Cheers!

Two row is a very misleading term for barley, since there is general only two types, 2-row and 6-row.

When you are not sure about certain malts, check out the website from the supplier. If you have two that are the same you can compare how they are different and which one you'd prefer to use.

Weyermann has some great info on their grains too.

I try to stick with Briess, they are local to me plus my grain supplier stocks most of their grains. I've had good luck with them, but I also use others depending on my recipe.

On the Briess website here's what they have for their Pale Ale:
1698687371649.png

Also check out on the web, there's a malt comparison/substitution chart. I looked through my stash but I'm not finding it. This might help you when you run across similar grains from different suppliers.

What is the difference between 2 Row and 2 Row Pale and 2 Row extra pale?
With base malts made from 2 row malt, each maltser will likely have their own product name for the different malts the make.

For example, Briess has "Brewers Malt" (~ 2.5 SRM) and "Pale Ale Malt" (~ 3.5 SRM). Rahr has a "standard 2 row (~ 2 SRM) and a "Pale Ale Malt" (~ 4 SRM). An "extra pale malt" is likely to be a little darker.

Any input on the differences in a Pale Ale style?
An American Pale Ale made with a "Pale Ale Malt" would likely be a little maltier than one made with a "Brewers" malt / "standard 2 row" malt.

There are also differences in flavors due to terrior (where the grain was grown) and the malting process. For me, Rahr (and Great Western) tend to be a little more flavorful when brewing "single malt" beers. I suspect that this flavor difference extends to the crystal malts they offer.

Also, there are some AHA forum topics from a couple of years ago where flavor differences were discussed.

Awesome. Thanks all for the input. I think I have used Briess and Viking with most of the kits I get from Morebeer. I am thinking of trying Rahr as I have not used them that I can remember. I did not think there was that much difference so I don't note which company I get the malt from. I will from now on.

An "extra pale malt" is likely to be a little darker.
Viking Xtra Pale malt:
1.9 °L - Viking Malt - Xtra Pale is a modern 2-row base malt designed for very light-colored ales. While it works great as the base malt for any ale, it is particularly perfect for today’s extra light colored pale ales and IPAs.

Xtra pale is germinated like a pale malt to have a high degree of modification for easy brew house conversion. However, it is then uniquely Kilned like a pilsner malt for a very light color in the 1.7 to 1.9 Lovibond range. The result is a malt that easily and quickly converts like a true pale ale malt, but is as light or lighter than most Pilsner malts.

^definitely different^ as most maltsters "Extra Pale" are actually darker than their "Pale" malts.

When we still had the biggest LHBS in New England nearby Strange Brew normally carried Briess for domestic malts but I know I bought a bag of Rahr Pale Ale more than once. I'd say off hand it was indistinguishable from Briess Pale Ale. I'll note my preference was and is Briess Brewers Malt as it's lighter kilned than most pale ale malts...

Cheers!

From the Rahr website:
Rahr standard 2 row has an SRM of 1.5 - 2.0. They describe their malt as . . . “lighter than most pale ale malts. It has moderate protein levels, and good extract yield.”

Back