Looking for simple and affordable DIY RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred

Former Microbrewery Founder & Pro Brewer
Reaction score
I've been searching the forums (and Google) looking for the most affordable way to build a RIMS system. I'm moderately handy, but I'm not an engineer. Anyone have links to an easy build out there?

I'm not totally sold on RIMS. I've just researched it more than HERMS. $50 sure sounds attractive though and I could probably do it a lot cheaper since I already have a 1/2" x 50' immersion chiller and 5 gallon stock pots!

If you are not stuck on rims i would highly recommend my 50$ HERMS system in my signature.

Looks like your system is near flawless and the added benefit of having a free sous vide is nice too.

I have a 1/2" x 50' immersion chiller and several spare pots ranging from 8 qt to 7.5 gallon. I sounds like your thinking was "less is more" as the lower volume of water is easier to temp control.

I also have (probably) about 10-12' of spare 3/8" copper tubing from my original, smaller wort chiller. Do you think that coupled with my cheap 108GPH food safe water pump (like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/160963311155?lpid=82) would do the job?

I also have (probably) about 10-12' of spare 3/8" copper tubing from my original, smaller wort chiller. Do you think that coupled with my cheap 108GPH food safe water pump (like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/160963311155?lpid=82) would do the job?

yea it would work great, you could even get the coil smaller and use even less water in the herms pot.

I have a RIMS system that I put together from a RIMS tube and 1/2" nipples for high temp hose. Worked OK but I have a different solution now that is providing me reasonable extraction efficiency so if you are interested let me know. I can provide pictures.

I build my rims tube from 3/4" copper pipe soldered together and a 1000w stainless cartridge heater. Also about $50 to build. I had built a herms system prior to the rims but it was not as responsive and did not increase temps as quickly as the rims does. I almost went with 3/4 or 1" stainless piping and still may if the copper gives me any issues but so far I've done 3 brews with good results.

I've got almost everything I need to build Poptarts's HERMS system and it sounds like he's had good success. If I decide to later switch to RIMS, I appreciate all the info!

If you do decide to entertain a rims setup,
Heres a picof my el cheapo rims setup ...I got the idea from another on the DIY section under "Dirt cheap rims"

heres the $9 element link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-220V-10...160946?pt=US_Garden_Tools&hash=item3cea1324f2

IMG_20140925_192913_344.jpg

Yea dirt cheap rims is about the same as my ghetto herms, my system requires a little less work to build but they are basically the same cost.

I've actually got a spare STC1000. In fact, I think I have all the parts I need minus the plastic T to put the heat probe in.

So I built Poptart's setup and hard-wired everything works great. Unfortunately, the heat port in my STC1000 isn't sending power so I need to order a new one.

So I built Poptart's setup and hard-wired everything works great. Unfortunately, the heat port in my STC1000 isn't sending power so I need to order a new one.

Your wording sounds like you've not wired it right. The STC does not supply power to the terminals, but only provides a switch contact (relay). You wire it is if it were a switch. Hot line of your power to one terminal, the second terminal to the heater, and the other wire from the heater to neutral. Keep in mind the the STC is limited to 10 amps.

This isn't my first STC-1000. It's wired right. There is power going in but not out. There's a bad connection on the board or something. The port feels a little loose. Still waiting on my replacement.

Back