Looking for a temperature probe collar pass through solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tboog86

Reaction score
I'm planning a keezer collar and I wanted to know if anyone has come across any more elegant solutions to running the temperature probe through the collar than just drilling a hole or just running under the gasket. I will be attempting to ferment and serve in the same keezer so I plan on running two probes one for keezer temperature and one for controlling a heating pad for the fermentation vessel. I know its simple enough to drill a small hole and fill with some silicone but I would rather not have it be permanent so it is easier to clean or remove. I found I've combed through countless threads and haven't been able to find anything like a 3.5mm bulkhead or what seems like the right grommet/gland for the job so I figured I would reach out to see what people have done. I might be overengineering this aspect of the build but I figure I might as well do it cleanly if there is an option. Thanks!

If you want to see over-engineering of a keezer check out my thread here :D With flow meters, multiple temperature sensors, interior lighting and fans, I had to run a bunch of stuff into the interior, so I fabricated a small panel carrying a DB37, a 4-pin mini-XLR and a pair of 3-pin tiny-xlr receptacles, and inset it in the rear stretcher.

That technique would be crazy overkill for a single temperature sensor, or course. What could be done alternatively would be to install a single mini- or tiny- XLR connector with sufficient pins screwed in the back of the collar (over a through-hole) to receive an appropriate plug wired to your controller and hardwired to the temperature sensor inside the keezer...

Cheers!

I cut a small notch just wide enough for the wire in the top of the collar and backfilled with silicone. You will probably want to run wires for one or two fans also.

Latest posts

Back