Thermowell Weldless Thermocouple Parts for Temp Probe - What to buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lashack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My HLT is programmed with an electric PID with this temperature sensor that is wired to the PID to read the temperature of the water. Here is the PID temp. probe looks like. Currently, I am just setting (free dropping) the temp. probe inside the water during heating. But I want to fix (make permanent) the temp. probe with a thermowell probe into the HLT. I am looking for a weldless solution. Basically, I want to drill a hole, bolt on a thermowell probe, and screw in temp. probe in the below picture into the thermowell.

I am just unsure what parts I need to make this setup ready to install. Will this part alone work? It's weldless. I am just making sure the current temp. the probe I have will screw into it correctly and the length is long enough to get a decent reading from the hot water?

- Link to thermowell weldless thermocouple part.
Screen_Shot_2023-02-20_at_8_22_24_PM.png

Thanks for the help.

That sensor actually appears to be designed for through-wall mounting with a flat gasket on the outside and a locknut on the inside. All you need is the hole, the gasket and the locknut. It doesn't look like any thermowell-compatible sensor I've ever seen. Such sensors are either bare and epoxy potted inside the thermowell, or are cylindrical to fit snugly and coupled with thermal compound...

Cheers!

I'm surprised the sensor is still working because the cable isn't waterproof where it enters into the crimped metal capsule and water can get in where I drew the yellow arrow. Also, you can't make this thing weldless either. That bolt is just bored out through the center and swivels on the inner capsule. Water can enter were the brew arrow points in and then it will leak out the back of the bolt. If budget is a major concern, the only way I can figure making this one work is to get some food grade silicone (aquarium repair stuff) jammed in between the capsule and bolt.

1678931787051.png

image.jpg
image.jpg

So that original thermo cable in my original images was included with my Inkird PID.

I ended up buying some of these thermowells with 1/2in NPT male that screws into female bulkhead, and hole drilled inside of HLT.

Latest posts

Back