Let's complain about stupid drivers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooo, I've got another one, let me see if I can describe this.

4-way intersection, I'm on the South edge facing North, waiting to turn left (West), behind another car. The East/West road is 2 lanes in each direction. We have a green light. There are cars on the opposite (North) side of the intersection from us, turning right to go West on the East/West road.

By law, those cars must turn into the closest lane. That means the other lane is open, and the guy in front of me can safely complete his left turn into the near lane (which he is also legally required to do). Yet he'll sit there and wait until there are no more cars on the opposite side of the intersection turning right before he'll go. Drives me nuts.

Had a situation with a similar setup to this a few months ago. I was wanting to turn left on to a two lane road. The road straight across from me had two lanes, one going straight (towards me) and the other was a right turn only lane (ie where I wanted to go).

Traffic was somewhat busy but there was a break in the wall of cars coming towards me so I started turning left.

Some jaggo apparently didn't realize he was in the turning lane kept going straight (at considerable speed I might add). Missed me by that much. Now I'm that guy that's hesitant to turn left on to a two lane road.

Don't even get me started on a lack of turn signals.

Maybe we need to look beyond just stupid drivers, at stupid and abusive rules and policies effecting drivers. Policies like jumping speed limits up and down irrationally so frequently that drivers are so busy reading signs so they don't miss a speed change that they are reading instead of driving............. Is this any different from driving with a book propped on the steering wheel or watching a movie?? I encountered this north of Spokane on the secondary highways.......... and witnessed draconian enforcement......though I was never pulled over while passing through. A driver's primary responsibility is to DRIVE, and driving does not mean simply operating the steering wheel and brakes. It means total situational awareness. It means watching what is taking place ahead as well as behind you, and in traffic traveling the other way. It means anticipating what might happen over the next hill or around the next corner. It means noticing the dog chasing a deer, and anticipating that that deer will jump in front of the car 2 cars in front of you, making space and preparing for evasive action when the wreck happens. It means watching for subtle signals that someone is going to do something unexpected, noting where that driver is looking and knowing that he is going to so something other than what he's signaling. It means not passing someone who is in the right lane rapidly gaining on another vehicle, thus placing yourself in his blind spot when he decides to change lanes. It means seeing traffic on the on ramp and giving the guy ahead of you in the right lane room to change lanes. It means judging from the trajectory and speed of a car coming from an intersecting road that he isn't going to stop at the light or stop sign. It means noticing that the girl in the car ahead of you is dealing with 3 young children alone while driving and not paying attention or is talking or texting, and taking extra precautions. It means keeping a safe distance behind the car in front of you... one car length per 10 mph. It means being prepared if the brakes or other system do not work.
Huge amounts of garbage information on signs does NOT make for safe driving.

I encountered a signage situation during rush hour in KC Missouri as I was coming in from the north, headed for St Louis that was absolutely outrageous a number of years ago. The signs for HWY 70 were all on the right side, but the exit was on the left and none of the signs indicated this....... Driving a truck pulling a trailer, alone, and before GPS, I managed to piss everybody off by forcing my way across the highway.... it wasn't very nice, but I wasn't going to try to figure out how to get back to 70 with a truck and trailer just because some jackass didn't have brains enough to at least put "exit left" or put the signs on the left!

Another outrageous practice is leaving "men working" and other construction signs up long after the job is done, and slowing traffic down to absurd speeds many miles in advance of construction.

I've several times ended up behind pilot cars where the idiot driver was constantly speeding up and slowing down creating an accordion effect behind them.

Construction is irritating but necessary......... At least make it as painless as possible for the traffic. It often appears that they don't give a damn!.

Near Livingston, Mt. The highway department put up fancy electronic signs to alert people to conditions in the pass........... Probably half a million dollars worth. These signs have NEVER displayed accurate information when I've seen them, and are usually displaying something stupid like "click it or ticket", or "buckle up it's the law", or "watch for changing road conditions". If it says "low visibility, snow packed and icy"..... the road will invariably be dry and clear with good visibility.

And then there's Oregon.... the worst state in the union to drive in with speed limits designed to put drivers to sleep. Interstate 84 is posted 80 through most of Idaho and drops to 65 in Oregon........Ever try driving from Pendelton to Portland at 65 on a highway designed for 100 mph traffic? Are drivers that fall asleep at the wheel safer than drivers traveling 80? Worse yet turn off at Ontario and take 20 or 26 through miles and miles of open country on 2 lane highways with broad shoulders and good visibility...... at a snail's pace of 55!! Still worse, highway 95 south to Winnemucca and parts south. The state cites "safety considerations", yet nearly all the accidents are from drivers falling asleep at the wheel an drifting off the highway! Time for Oregon to wake up and smell the roses!! Clearly someone in the highway dept is asleep at the wheel! (morons!!). At one time they were even enforcing school zone speeds 24 hours a day 365 days a year
Then there are the states that enforce the speed limit during a pass...... You are driving the 55 mile speed limit in Oregon for example and come upon someone traveling 45. You pull out to pass, and you are not allowed to exceed 55 while passing??? It's the law here too.........but they wouldn't dare enforce it. It not only does not make sense, but it creates a hazard.

It's not just idiot drivers that are the problem.........it's idiot bureaucrats too.

H.W.

Had a situation with a similar setup to this a few months ago. I was wanting to turn left on to a two lane road. The road straight across from me had two lanes, one going straight (towards me) and the other was a right turn only lane (ie where I wanted to go).

Traffic was somewhat busy but there was a break in the wall of cars coming towards me so I started turning left.

Some jaggo apparently didn't realize he was in the turning lane kept going straight (at considerable speed I might add). Missed me by that much. Now I'm that guy that's hesitant to turn left on to a two lane road.

Don't even get me started on a lack of turn signals.

Only an idiot doesn't signal when making a turn......... but only and idiot assumes that a signal tells you what the guy is actually going to do, or that a lack of a signal means that he isn't going to do anything.
I was pulling a trailer on a 2 lane Montana highway a few years back and pulled into the left lane to pass a car that was signaling a RIGHT TURN............ The car turned LEFT instead..... it was a close thing.......... The shriek of the lady sitting next to me still rings in my ear ............ I was off into the gravel and grass on the left side. The lesson is not to trust turn signals!

H.W.

You forgot yours, didn't you? :D

I like to advertise that I'm not from around here by using my turn signal when it's called for :D

@Owly055 I typically don't trust other people's signals, but it is handy to know that someone will probably be slowing down in the very near future. This dude was in the right turn only lane. Turn signal or no you don't go straight when you're in a turn only lane.
Unless you're that guy of course. Then you go straight.

Oh boy! I was going to turn into a plaza today off a pretty busy two-lane (each side) street. This street has a middle turn lane as well for both sides to use.

I had to completely stop in the right lane because I couldn't turn into the plaza entrance. This idiot was diagonal in the entrance/exit and trying to turn left (would be across 4-5 lanes). The person directly behind me actually got out of his vehicle and shouted at the diagonal blocking person "Why the hell do you think your so special to take up the entire entrance?" The diagonal person responded back "I didn't have room to maneuver in the lot, suck it up!"...

Behind the diagonal person, probably a good 200 foot square section that they could've used to position themselves perpindicular to the entrance/exit so as to not block the flow of traffic.

Let's just say this person had blocked up traffic for a good 5 minutes before finally giving up and just turning right. Fail logic at its finest...

That's BS sometimes. I know some on-ramps that getting up to 75 is nearly impossible with some cars and the curve is so tight you can almost hear the squeal of your tires as you take it.

I also hate it when you can't move over for a guy getting on, and they "match speed" (good) and try to merge right into you! (bad). Yeah, you still have to get in front or get behind, buddy!

Or when someone is merging on and is already ahead of you going your rate, then they slow down to get behind you, only they end up trying to merge right into you because they can't adjust speed properly.

People who make left turns from two lanes to the right of any left turn lanes at an intersection. If that sentence sounds retarded, that's because it was.

F***er almost killed me (I was on a motorcycle, in a straight-only lane to the left of him) and then proceeded to narrowly miss several other cars. And of course he didn't use a turn signal before abruptly making the world's most reckless left-turn.

People who make left turns from two lanes to the right of any left turn lanes at an intersection. If that sentence sounds retarded, that's because it was.

F***er almost killed me (I was on a motorcycle, in a straight-only lane to the left of him) and then proceeded to narrowly miss several other cars. And of course he didn't use a turn signal before abruptly making the world's most reckless left-turn.

If you'd have kept your mouth shut about his txt'ing ... ;)

First time I met Hunter he was on his bike, which of course means I had to go into my life as a funeral director.

Sometimes being socially awkward is a gift.

That was a very pleasant ride home, by the way. No thoughts of impending doom at all.

You were going to think about that anyway...

Every time I get in a car I go "Alright Austin, this could be it. You could get smashed by some incoming driver and just die right there.".

It scares the hell out of my kids in the backseat.

There are 3 signs that say "NO LEFT TURN," they even have pictures in case you can't read, there are 3 people honking their horns at you & 1 calling you names as you proceed to turn left anyway, blocking traffic in 3 directions as you do so. According to your plates, you live here & should know better! (This happened Friday.)

The speed limit is 35 mph, there are signs telling you this, but you still only drive 30 mph. A few blocks down the road & there's a school zone, posted speed limit is 25, again, there are signs telling you this; you still drive 30 mph. After the school zone ends, it's 35 mph again, and again, there's a sign saying so; you STILL drive 30 mph! This is NOT a law of averages, the speed limit is NOT a suggestion! (This happens daily.)

I swear there is something in the water here that makes people's IQ's drop significantly as soon as they get behind the wheel of a vehicle. I'm only drinking bottled/filtered water from now on, that way I can't turn into a stupid driver. BTW, I'm not from here originally & I can not only read & comprehend street signs, I can actually drive legally, safely & intelligently. End rant, for now.
Regards, GF.

25mph residential street through an apartment complex. black honda civic riding my ass as I go 30mph. get to the stop sign to turn right (with my signal on), she breaks through the plumbing wholesale companies parking lot, skips the stop sign, and pulls right out in front of me after I turn right. Wound up right next to me at the next stop light. she had one of those big stickers of a stripper-fairy looking thing covering her entire back windshield. wonder how that civic runs on sweetened gas? :D

There is a big beautiful city park practically across the street from my house. This time of year it is always full of kids playing, coming to and fro (especially around 6:00 p.m. when the pool closes), lots of families getting in and out of cars. For some reason, dip$&*ts feel the need to show off and rocket down the street, very frequently blowing the stop sign right by the main entrance to the park. That drives me crazy. Occasionally the cops get 'em, but not often enough.

The other day I was behind this driver for several blocks. She couldn't stay in one lane, couldn't keep the same speed, and had her turn signal on for about three blocks so far. I pulled up next to her at the next light to see that she busy texting away on her phone. This upset me so much, I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her.

Why do ALL the stupid people seem to have the need to get in their cars and drive around aimlessly when the weather gets hot? Driving home from work on I-5 this car was completely stopped in the right lane with his left blinker on waiting for someone to let him merge. At 55mph cars were passing him on the shoulder.....

Back