Let's complain about stupid drivers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SWMBO's pet peeve is "people who don't low how big their car is." A while back, we went to a shopping center in a hoity-toity part if the suburbs because there's a jewelry shop that could repair something for her. While she did that, I walked to the grocery store to what? Get some good beer. Anyway, she finishes her thing and drives over to the grocery store to wait for me.

She was fully within the lines of a parking spot and along comes some dummy in a big BMW SUV who tries to park next to her. There's PLENTY of room FOR THE BMW to get in, but the dummy doesn't know how big her car is, she starts flipping out and gesticulating to SWMBO to move. Meanwhile SWMBO just laughs at her because she can see that there is several FEET of clearance between the two vehicles.

yes! this bugs me to no end.

either it takes them 47 tries to maneuver into a parking space, or they can't see they have plenty of room to go around or pass another vehicle.

Along with the people who don't know how big their car is are the people who won't put the phone down to make that 47 point maneuver into the parking space. Put the phone down, Special Lady, park your Canyonaro, call Maude back to discuss Downtown Abbey.

Sing with me!

Can you name the truck with four wheel drive,
smells like a steak and seats thirty-five..

Canyonero! Canyonero!

Well, it goes real slow with the hammer down,
It's the country-fried truck endorsed by a clown!

Unfortunately in Billings and Bozeman.........The two cities where I occasionally drive, a turn signal is taken as a signal to move forward and block you from changing lanes...... I never have understood this, but now signal a lane change milliseconds before actually making it, so the guy behind will not try to cut me off. I believe in signals, and have always used them religiously, but I can understand why people don't.

Interestingly, on the very few trips I've taken into Southern California, I found that people there respected turn signals on the interstate.......... A signal is not "asking permission" to change lanes, it's a statement that you ARE going to change lanes, and people make space........ That and people making space automatically when you hit the bottom of an on ramp at highway speed were the ONLY two driving behaviors I found down there that I liked.

I drive lightly traveled two lane highways mostly....that's what we have here. The big problems are idiots who pass when you are slowing down signaling a left turn. People get killed doing that all the time. We've had two fatalities within a mile of where I live as a result of this........ asleep at the wheel??..... I've had a number of close calls at the marked highway intersection near where I live...........To the extent of putting amber signals on the headache rack of my pickup to get people's attention. The other problem is passing on blind hills and corners....... I no longer tolerate people passing me where there is no visibility, especially trucks and towing vehicles........... You try to pass me where you cannot possibly see oncoming traffic, and I'll move over the center line and block you. It's a matter of survival! Three vehicles meet on a narrow two lane, and someone is likely to wreck. I've been forced off the road by the passing vehicle when he meets an oncoming vehicle........... in those several cases, my vehicle was unharmed, but both other vehicles were GONE. If damage or injury were to result, it would be a single vehicle accident as far as the highway patrol was concerned.

One case that really got me thinking was a wreck where 5 people were killed, that happened about 80 miles from here on a two lane highway. 3 drunken kids coming home from Northwest College in Powell, Wy. passed a truck on the two lane and met an oncoming car. Both the drunken kids and the oncoming car went for the ditch to avoid a head on............ and they hit head on in the ditch. A man and is wife, and three drunken kids died that day........
When you are both alongside a truck, traveling toward each other in opposite directions, it's a game of chicken.........If you both chicken out, you are going to die, and if neither chickens out you are going to die...... What do you do? What you do in that situation is take the LEFT ditch as you approach the truck. The kids are alongside the truck and have only one way to go.......... You have three options before you actually are alongside the truck....... left, right, and straight. The truck is NOT going to take the ditch.

One thing that is incredibly irritating here is big city drivers who insist on tailgating on wide open highway with literally miles of space. There is room for miles of space between cars here, yet people will get behind you and try to "push" you........Ironically when they do pass, I usually find myself right behind them at the stop sign in town. They'll often risk their lives passing in a blind spot to gain a fraction of a second. When there is traffic.... say half a dozen cars, they will tailgate, and when I leave a few hundred yards ahead of me, finally pass because it apparently irritates them to have driving room...... Again at the stop sign at the junction, they will be right ahead of me......... I'd far rather have them a few hundred yards ahead of me than on my ass!

The 20 miles to town takes 17 minutes at 70 mph ( Montana's speed limit on two lane highways) It takes 16 minutes at 75, and 15 minutes at 80. That difference of one or two minutes amounts to nothing, especially if you end up behind a string of cars anyway..... What's the rush? Is your life worth two minutes? Hills, narrow road and bridges, livestock, deer, farmers, etc.............. 70 is more than fast enough.

H.W.

Twice today on the same highway. Cadillac Escalade just has to be in that cushion space ahead of me. I mean, damn, if there's a space, I must be going too slow. Never mind the cushion space ain't growing. They were just ahead of me until I got in the express lane, and eased on ahead.

Then, I'm in that lane, and I see a PT Cruiser sawing on the back of a BMW. I'm doing 72 mph and not gaining. PT is right on BMW just sawing side to side. Dude. There's nowhere to go. It's barriers on either side.

We all get off when the express ends, into 40 mph traffic. I see the Caddy two cars back. For the next five miles, these two danced all over the highway. Neither ever got any more ahead for all their antics. C'mon, people.

How about people who absolutely have to back into a parking space. But they are so bad at it that it takes them 6 attempts. It is not a requirement in most grocery store lots people

And here in Va it tends to be people from DC or MD

How about people who absolutely have to back into a parking space. But they are so bad at it that it takes them 6 attempts. It is not a requirement in most grocery store lots people

And here in Va it tends to be people from DC or MD

or worse, PA

and every inch of the back of their vehicle covered in Penguin/Steeler stickers

The company I work for requires us to take several different driving classes on a regular basis. My company truck is just a half ton 4 door but I will say that I've learned a lot from the classes, and just from getting older I guess.

When most people complain about other drivers, it's usually because they are being slowed down by them, they believe they are more important than other drivers. It's easy to forget how serious driving is, and to remember that arriving SAFELY is what matters. I am amazed at how many people seem to have never made a driving mistake before either...........

Years ago when I would see a car weaving all over the place, speeding up and slowing down I figured they were drunk.

Now I assume they are texting.

Twice today on the same highway. Cadillac Escalade just has to be in that cushion space ahead of me. I mean, damn, if there's a space, I must be going too slow. Never mind the cushion space ain't growing. They were just ahead of me until I got in the express lane, and eased on ahead.

Then, I'm in that lane, and I see a PT Cruiser sawing on the back of a BMW. I'm doing 72 mph and not gaining. PT is right on BMW just sawing side to side. Dude. There's nowhere to go. It's barriers on either side.

We all get off when the express ends, into 40 mph traffic. I see the Caddy two cars back. For the next five miles, these two danced all over the highway. Neither ever got any more ahead for all their antics. C'mon, people.

I didn't even bother to comment when someone recently called me a "slow driver".......apparently if you don't tailgate and fill every empty space, you're a "slow driver".... I've watched these idiots all my life....... Always in a hurry, but never gaining anything. I drive fast when there is a reason, and it can actually make a difference. What I see mostly is people driving with a hard on.... A few fractions of a second gained by being the first car at the stop sign on the exit ramp instead of second or third don't amount to a hill of beans...... You just burn more gas and wear out your brakes..... and piss people off............ Half the drivers out there need a cold shower, a few are driving rationally, and the remainder are not really even there.........

H.W.

Ever notice the way so many asshats push their grocery carts in Walmart? Guess what??? They drive that way, too! Yesterday, my day almost ended early twice! Asshat drivers attempted to pass me ON THE RIGHT...in a lane that quickly ended! Almost lost the right front fender to both of those jackasses!

glenn514:mug:

I didn't even bother to comment when someone recently called me a "slow driver".......apparently if you don't tailgate and fill every empty space, you're a "slow driver".... I've watched these idiots all my life....... Always in a hurry, but never gaining anything. I drive fast when there is a reason, and it can actually make a difference. What I see mostly is people driving with a hard on.... A few fractions of a second gained by being the first car at the stop sign on the exit ramp instead of second or third don't amount to a hill of beans...... You just burn more gas and wear out your brakes..... and piss people off............ Half the drivers out there need a cold shower, a few are driving rationally, and the remainder are not really even there.........

H.W.

This x 1,000! Where I'm from, most folks can still find value in simple day to day activities, and a few even believe in treating fellow human beings with respect, though I do fear our southern values are generally on the decline, that is another subject. While many call us slow, I would say that we're just not dumb enough to drive that way!

A number of years ago I was with a group of about 15 people in Nevada heading out to a mine for the day. We had to drive about 10 miles on dirt "BLM Superhighways", then climb an extremely steep and rough trail to get there. I placed myself near the rear, and left about a quarter mile between myself and the next vehicle because of the dust...... It wasn't like there was any difficulty finding the way. The one vehicle behind me was right on my bumper the whole way, and when I stopped well below the steep rocky trail so the guy ahead of me who was driving a 2wd would have plenty of room if he spun out. As the fellow ahead of me headed up the steep pitch, the guy behind me got out of his car and started screaming at me "close up close up".... and acting as if the space I left ahead of me was slowing him down. As expected the guy ahead of me spun out and came off the hill backward. The idiot behind me never seemed to realize that had we been close together, all three of us would have had to come off the hill backward. Some folks just don't get it.

In another situation, I had hired a truck with a lowboy to move a 3 yard loader I bought.... in January in Montana......... We were on an extremely remote secondary highway, that was icy, and drifting, with a very long steep grade ahead. The trucker was apparently unfamiliar with the highway, and stopped..... there was no traffic. When he set the air, the truck slid off the road onto the shoulder. I walked up to talk to him, and he asked me if there was a hill ahead............ Arrow Creek hill is a brutally steep hill with no guard rails (at that time), and drop offs of hundreds of feet to the West. I told him there was, and we'd better chain the truck up or he wasn't going to make the hill. He had ONE set of three rail chains.... enough for one axle. Not enough in my opinion for what was ahead.......... I wouldn't have tried it!! We got to the bottom of the hill, and the one car we saw in the entire 60 mile stretch of highway came up and passed me, following the truck less than one car length behind..... I was about 1/4 mile back so if things went wrong I wouldn't be in the path of the wreck. 30,000 lbs of loader, on 30,000 pounds of truck was NOT something I wanted going over the top of me! At the steepest pitch of the hill, I could see the truck spinning.............. The chains were digging and throwing snow out behind like a rooster tail behind a jet ski.......... which is what I expected. The entire time the car behind didn't back of an inch. Someone with a death wish!! He made the hill...........just barely. Not a fun trip. The remaining 80 miles home was all glare ice and blowing snow.

Some folks are just stupid......... and many of them earn their richly deserved Darwin Award eventually. Unfortunately the often remove someone else from the gene pool with them who might have had something to offer the world.

H.W.

Get a dash cam*, send the video to 'the cloud', a copy to the cops. Be sure to record plate number and any useful supporting info you can.
*one that produces images that are allowed in court.

Not sure if this has been posted, but just got back from a recent week long trip to Puerto Rico. I consider myself an experienced driver. I used to routinely drive a work truck through the Bronx and I'm used to aggressive drivers and honestly prefer them over what we have here in NC. Holy **** though....I've never seen people as a whole drive so terribly.

Stop signs? That's just a suggestion.
Cutting across the highway to drive in the direction of oncoming traffic to take a short cut? Totally better than just making a U-turn at the next intersection.
Parking your car in the middle of the street to grab cash from the ATM? Totally cool. I'm not talking parking on the shoulder, I'm talking parking in the middle of the only driving lane.

If you're going to turn from the turning lane in the middle, don't be a wuss about it and stay straddled in the straight lane. Get your ass all the way in the turning lane.

Holy crap. Those lane splitters in CA. I don't think it's illegal in MA (my home state), but I see it only rarely, and usually in slow or stopped traffic.

Holy crap. Those lane splitters in CA. I don't think it's illegal in MA (my home state), but I see it only rarely, and usually in slow or stopped traffic.

I looked it up. I think it is actually encouraged for 2 wheelers (motorcycles or scooters) to split the lane at red lights in CA.

The ones that get me are the pacers. You know, when you have a wide open road up ahead and two or more cars are side by side filling every lane of the road with a string of cars behind them. And neither will slow down or speed up so that traffic can flow.

I looked it up. I think it is actually encouraged for 2 wheelers (motorcycles or scooters) to split the lane at red lights in CA.

The ones that get me are the pacers. You know, when you have a wide open road up ahead and two or more cars are side by side filling every lane of the road with a string of cars behind them. And neither will slow down or speed up so that traffic can flow.

in Virginia, it is against the law to NOT move over if the driver of an overtaking vehicle signals, with lights or horn, for you to move over

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-842.1

Had two cars behind me yesterday. I pulled out from a stop sign and eased up to 60. I wasn't really dragging ass, but I was driving the 4 banger and accelerating at a reasonable speed.

Well, the guys behind me couldn't stand it. Their problem is that they WANTED to pass, but it just couldn't happen. So they seethed as I got up to speed. Then as soon as it was clear the first one jumped around me. After another mile the second one jumped around me.

And then we were all doing 60...

I can't understand the NEED to pass someone just to drive the same speed. We're already doing 5 over on a 2-lane.

in Virginia, it is against the law to NOT move over if the driver of an overtaking vehicle signals, with lights or horn, for you to move over

Taking my kid out for driving practice. Got to a passing lane and told her to move over.

"I checked there is nobody wanting to pass!"

"That sign back there, did you read it?"

"What sign?"

"The one that said, 'Keep right except to pass.' That means YOU MOVE OVER, unless you are going around someone."

Of course, there are those who stay in the left lane on that short passing lane forcing the rest of us to pass on the right lane. Apparently it's such a short passing lane that they decide it's not worth the effort of moving to the right so if you want to pas them, YOU have to move to the right...

I swear this state needs to air special commercial breaks and remind people of the laws of the road and basic common road courtesy!

"What sign?"

I'd understand if you didn't, but I would smack my kid in the head he/she said that until he/she understood. pay attention to the signs

here's one on DC's Beltway, routinely ignored, may as well not even be there

257161_2153664204886_3177912_o.jpg

I'd understand if you didn't, but I would smack my kid in the head he/she said that until he/she understood. pay attention to the signs

No, I test her all the time about signs we passed. She's new, so I understand there's a lot to keep track of, but at least she's learning to try.

No, I test her all the time about signs we passed. She's new, so I understand there's a lot to keep track of, but at least she's learning to try.

I know, I'd cut a shiny new driver some slack.

and the world's a better place, me not having kids of my own ;)

This thread needs videos.

Start at 1:00

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZCv27yk1Og[/ame]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZCv27yk1Og

I'm questioning why that guy spent so much time hanging out in the left lane when he obviously knew that truck wanted to pass. It looked like there was plenty of space for him to move over and let him go by.

EDIT: Nvrmd I see the other truck next to him now. I thought they were way behind that truck the first time I watched.

Its a shame I have never seen it enforced.

Taking my kid out for driving practice. Got to a passing lane and told her to move over.

"I checked there is nobody wanting to pass!"

"What sign?"

"The one that said, 'Keep right except to pass.' That means YOU MOVE OVER, unless you are going around someone."

Of course, there are those who stay in the left lane on that short passing lane forcing the rest of us to pass on the right lane. Apparently it's such a short passing lane that they decide it's not worth the effort of moving to the right so if you want to pas them, YOU have to move to the right...

I swear this state needs to air special commercial breaks and remind people of the laws of the road and basic common road courtesy!

Thank you. In VA i hear that there are laws in general about driving in the left lane in general. I have a friend who got pulled over for that exact infraction. Apparently you arent supposed to be in the left for more than 1/4-1/2 mile as it is for passing only.

Slow or stopped, I understand, but these guys were flying through 60mph+ traffic.
I noticed that most drivers out here stick pretty close to the speed limits, unlike home, where flow is routinely 10-15 over.

Its a shame I have never seen it enforced.

Thank you. In VA i hear that there are laws in general about driving in the left lane in general. I have a friend who got pulled over for that exact infraction. Apparently you arent supposed to be in the left for more than 1/4-1/2 mile as it is for passing only.

That's the way I tend to drive, as that is how it was explained to me by my driving instructor in school (Yes, we took driver's training in school back then.)

He once said, "Any time you can put more distance between you and the cars coming from the other direction, do it. So always drive in the right lane unless you are passing.

My FIL drove me nuts on the way back from picking up his '67 Cougar. We had a truck and a trailer hauling that car and he spent half his time in the left lane on the freeway.

Another thing to be careful of, is a passing lane. I've had people coming from the other direction passing a car in front of them and using the "spare" left lane on my side. Even though all the cars are in the right lane and nobody's passing from my side, cars from the other direction are NOT supposed to use those lanes to pass unless nobody's coming from my direction. Doesn't matter which lane they are in.

THIS IS TO KEEP TWO CARS FROM OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS FROM TRYING TO PASS AT THE SAME TIME AND HAVING A HEAD-ON COLLISION!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZCv27yk1Og

I have found the perfect response to getting into traffic altercations.

Get the finger? Do the tears motion. Point at them and make them think you won already. Point and go "Boo hoo" while rubbing your eyes like you're crying, mocking them for being titty babies.

It enrages people when they think you think they are upset or hurt. It's funny as hell.

Over the past few years I always get behind that person who is first at a traffic light, light changes to green and they just sit there, and sit, and sit, after about 20 seconds I get frustrated and hit the horn, the person's head snaps up from looking down and then they go. Nice... Playing with your cell phone again hunh? Same thing with the divided roads around here, you have to look left to see if there is any on coming traffic, when clear, you pull out onto the road. I get behind these morons, who are first to turn right onto the road, I'm looking left, no on coming traffic, zero cars coming, they sit, and sit, and sit... I hit the horn again, their head snaps up, they frantically look around, then they go. Freaking cell phone morons, either drive your car or use your phone, NOT BOTH AT THE SAME TIME!

People who text and drive should be put in a orange jump suit and sent to ISIS.

It's worse than drinking and driving. People are getting killed from it every day.

Am I being to harsh?

People who text and drive should be put in a orange jump suit and sent to ISIS.

It's worse than drinking and driving. People are getting killed from it every day.

Am I being to harsh?
IMO Texters should do a night in jail as Dui drivers do and also diversion and all that....

Oh, I just LOVE it when I'm stopped at a red light and I see in the rear view another driver approaching - with his/her head down obviously messing with the phone. "Hey, I'm going to stop in 20 or so feet. No need to watch anymore."

Oh, I just LOVE it when I'm stopped at a red light and I see in the rear view another driver approaching - with his/her head down obviously messing with the phone. "Hey, I'm going to stop in 20 or so feet. No need to watch anymore."

Yeah, that's scary. I've had it happen to me when I was on my Motorcycle at a light.

Like Dixon said, it should be, you text and drive, you go to jail.

On the other end of the spectrum, those jerkwads that honk their horn less than 2 seconds after the light turns green. Its not like I am drag racing. There is nothing wrong with tooting your horn if people obviously arent paying attention. If they havent had time to move foot from brake to gas though they deserver a little bit of a break.

Latest posts

Back