Keezer Temp Controller and Fan Wiring Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Contradiction

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am getting ready to build my first keezer and I have some “Keezer for Dummies” type of questions.

I’ve seen plenty of threads about how to wire an STC-1000 controller but not necessarily lots of info on how to hook everything up.

Am I correct in the following?

1) The STC-1000 controller is independent of the freezer temp controls and I do NOT need to attempt to disable the freezer controls or splice into the compressor wiring.

2) I plug the freezer cord into the cold side outlet plug for the STC-1000 and the cord from the STC-1000 to the regular wall outlet and this in effect makes the STC-1000 take over the temperature controls of the freezer. The freezer temp is now regulated by the STC-1000 entirely and I do not need to do anything with the built in freezer temp controls.

I have seen some people integrate the STC-1000 controller into the collar instead of building it into a project box.

On this thread in particular, some people questioned that idea saying that you could get condensation in the outlet box that the controller and the plug are in.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=221572

Is the risk really that great?

If I were to seal the edge with silicone would I have to worry as much?

I like the idea that I can easily read the temp output and frankly it just looks “cool” to have that visible vs. a box that’s going to be laying on the floor next to the freezer.

I would also like to setup a computer fan in the freezer. I’ve mostly read that people run a computer fan off a DC adapter to plug it into the wall or a cell phone charger. The general concenous opinion is that the fan should just be running all of the time.

Is there any reason or way to wire the fan into the STC-1000?

Could you hardwire it into the cooling terminals of the STC controller or does that cause an issue with inserting the fan wiring into the same terminal as the “cooling outlet”?

If not could I somehow wiring both plugs of the “cooling outlet” to receive a plug? In other words top plug receives the freezer cord and the bottom plug receives the fan cord?

1. Correct.
2. Correct.

I have an MH1210 (single stage controller, same form-factor as the STC-1000) in the lid of my keezer in a compartment lined and sealed with plastic sheet and it's never had a problem in spite of the prodigious humidity and commensurate condensation in my keezer interior in mid-August.

I run my keezer fans 24/7, and see no point in doing otherwise. Stratification will occur if the fan shuts off with the compressor, because the evaporator will continue to produce "cold" for some time.

I also recommend DC fans as you can get small, low-power models that are plenty for the job, while AC fans tend to be higher output and produce more heat. An 80mm fan running at half output is plenty for my 13cf keezer and it dissipates only a watt or so...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back