Walnut coffin Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Browningbuck

Reaction score
Decided to upgrade from my vertical 9tap to a coffin style after many years. Figure I’d post some pics to contribute to the site. I spent a lot of time getting ideas from others in the below link and hope some of my works helps others.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/coffin-keezer-list.256871/
The old girl that ran from 2014, and now is a fermentation chamber.
IMG_1645.jpeg

Started with a whirlpool 16cf Model #WZC5116LW that was on sale for $650 delivered or I probably would have went for one of the more proven models.

IMG_1620.jpeg

Relocated the control panel since it allowed fridge or freezer mode and considering it has some interesting cycle controls I opted out of a standard digital thermo relay , the final design of this area changed a bit after I added lights and coffin fan controls, but I’ll get to that later
IMG_1621.jpeg

Most people build a sleeve for the freezer to sit in, I decided to mount straight to the skin. Liquid nails for the stand off supports which allow passive cooling from the bottom up. I decided that I would not use a skin cooling fan and am pleased with my decision. However I did allow for air to move through the skin as I heats freely.

IMG_1622.jpeg

i decide that for a test in skill with my minimal tools that i wanted to do a 4 piece mitered edge. i was able to accomplish it, but had some geometry things i didnt think about while building that i had to over come after assembly. the ripped 45 here lost about 1/8" on the total width of the board, so when i met it with the top piece and the bottom piece perimeter they were not the same width and required some massage/ fading to attempt to get them to look even.
IMG_1623.jpeg

If you look closely you can see the wood looks like it kinda bows to the corners.
IMG_1624.jpeg

Preped the substrate for the lid in the needed dims to allow for airflow
IMG_1625.jpeg

just a sexy shot of my wood, no big deal, seriously though, this would was bought as rough lumber, then ripped and planed to thickness.

IMG_1631.jpeg
IMG_1627.jpeg

got the face on the lid
IMG_1626.jpeg

post planing to get the planks dry fitted and verify correct thickness
IMG_1630.jpeg

more dry fitting and layout coordination for drip tray. would have been easier to "draft" this out and use drawings to figure out where the drip try would go, but this was more my style for the build. Whole thing was done with out a single drawing or plan of what i would do until i got to it.
IMG_1629.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1628.jpeg
    IMG_1628.jpeg
    312.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1619.jpeg
    IMG_1619.jpeg
    831.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
glue and epoxy the top, figured the kegs were great for the ballast :)

IMG_1632.jpeg

started the veneer for the coffin and considering it was about 31" and my minimal experience with veneer lets just say i learned alot.
IMG_1633.jpeg

with the glues dried, i cut the drip tray recess with a router.
IMG_1634.jpeg
IMG_1635.jpeg

decided that it was easier to do the build in place rather than move it to the basement post build. so for the messy routering on the trim and final sanding i decided to erect this screen.
IMG_1638.jpeg

all smoothed out and cleaned up
IMG_1637.jpeg

PPE !!! i wore glasses and hearing protection for the whole build, make sure you protect your future beer drinking capabilities.

IMG_1636.jpeg

post clean up, which is funny as i am ripping out the carpet between typing this and drinking my coffee. also you can seen the amazing drywall work i did post routing of my new electrical service to the brew room.

IMG_1639.jpeg

temp lid stand as i secure mounting points for the gas struts that will allow easy opening as well as mounting for the regs and manifolds. Also be sure to take in those corner :cool:
IMG_1642.jpeg

after a quick rubio coat fort the walnut.

IMG_1641.jpeg
IMG_1640.jpeg

not my greatest work, but for two weeks and my tool list being :
miter saw, skill saw, drill, 6' level, router, clamps, orb sander, planer, and chisel
Im happy with the outcome, i think itll "serve" me well for the time being.

IMG_1644.jpeg
IMG_1643.jpeg

Last edited:
The ocd in me wants to keep those three stout taps centered, but nitpicking aside, that is a beautiful build!

Nice job!
Yeah, I swear the handles won’t stay like this, but at the same time, I know I can’t guarantee I can keep my taps as organized as I like either

Thanks for cropping the pics! Looks great, nice job! :mug:

Cheers!
Hahaha, yeah, I didn’t think i was that old until last night when file types wouldn’t play nice with the forum 🙄. Must have just been too tired after moving 4100# of tile into the basement.

Btw, might have to DM you once I get the flooring down to update my raspberry pints. Once upon a time i was knowledgeable of the language, but skimming the thread a LOT has changed. I’m hoping the system is a little quicker to change what’s on tap and that tying it to a clean keg is no longer needed. Just looking to have it as a server of what’s on tap and not necessarily use it as powerful of a tracking tool that it is. As I type this I realize it’s probably easier to host a site, but hell for nostalgia I might play with updating it and learn all the new options that might make me change my mind.

Indeed, a lot has changed, mostly related to Raspberry Pi OS and related package evolutions, which with the release of Buster broke the classic RaspberryPints which relied on a database manager version that is no longer supported. If you still have a viable Wheezy, Jessie or even Stretch installation, iirc, you might want to hold onto that with a death grip (backup your old SD card!). Then with a fresh card and a Bullseye OS kit you can try out the RaspberryPints version that HBT member @RandR+ put together that some folks have moved on to...

Cheers!

Indeed, a lot has changed, mostly related to Raspberry Pi OS and related package evolutions, which with the release of Buster broke the classic RaspberryPints which relied on a database manager version that is no longer supported. If you still have a viable Wheezy, Jessie or even Stretch installation, iirc, you might want to hold onto that with a death grip (backup your old SD card!). Then with a fresh card and a Bullseye OS kit you can try out the RaspberryPints version that HBT member @RandR+ put together that some folks have moved on to...

Cheers!
Will do, not sure why the old stuff is so coveted? I assume anyone like me that has a relic is willing to share it? Anyway. Yes we shall talk soon enough

Woof! Have fun with ^that^ ;)

Will do, not sure why the old stuff is so coveted? I assume anyone like me that has a relic is willing to share it?

hahaha! I didn't mean it "that way" - nobody's going to come to your house to pilfer your working SD card relic 😁
Just meant don't lose it or repurpose it for your portable music player because you may wish you hadn't.
But if it comes to it I'll be happy to burn you a copy of my working legacy kit - which anyone would have a tough battle trying to recreate from scratch now...

Cheers!

Well this wasn’t anticipated, under the carpet there was a hidden 1/2 unlevel floor:mad::mad:

Well at least it’ll be done correctly

IMG_1660.jpeg

Well today was going pretty well as I started laying the tile but as I turned the corner into the next room I found while the inside of the room was levelish, it was 3/4” low 😟😞, thought I’d be done with both these rooms today🤬. Well I ran out of concrete and will just have to pick up monday.
IMG_1667.jpeg
IMG_1668.jpeg
IMG_1669.jpeg
IMG_1670.jpeg

Latest posts

Back