Wiring Question - 220V 4 wire to 3 wire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennengr

Reaction score
So, my old controller started smelling yesterday - I opened it up and there is a burned out wire coming out of one of the components. I"ve been thinking anyway of a controller upgrade to the new Spike Solo or Blichmann BrewCommander.

My existing plug to the wall (220V 30A) is a 14-50, and the new controllers look like they use L6-30's. I have a nice long power cable that I'd like to reuse. Any suggestions on how to proceed? If I understand correctly, I won't need the neutral. I"ve verified that there are four wires in the wall.

Thanks.

If the controller is 240V, and only has a 3-wire power feed, then there are no 120V loads in the controller. In that case you do not need a neutral. You can change the receptacle on your power cord to match the L6-30 plug on your new controller.

Brew on :mug:

Thanks Doug. I’m trying to sort out what I do with the neutral wire in the power cable. Do I just tape it off somehow inside the new L6-30 plug?

Thanks Doug. I’m trying to sort out what I do with the neutral wire in the power cable. Do I just tape it off somehow inside the new L6-30 plug?
Yes, you can just tape off the neutral. I'd cut off any exposed conductor on the end of the neutral wire prior to taping, to minimize any chance of stray neutral wires becoming exposed and then shorting inside the new receptacle.

Brew on :mug:

Back