Keezer lid build (14 cu ft Insignia)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcaudill

Reaction score
Hi - so in the spirit of all that is homebrew goodness I'm sharing my keezer lid build. In all honesty I have no idea if this is going to work lol! I'm afraid the weight of the lid, although not crazy, might overwhelm the stock hinges. That said I've used poplar, foam insulation and FRP so it's not crazy. One thing in have no idea on is what I'll use for a top. This is where I would love to hear your ideas! So the idea is I'll use foam along the sides and in the three areas in the top (1" thick) and I'll cover that up with a thin piece of ecowood. Then I'll install shanks through the lid and use the Insignias stock hinges.

But like I said I have little in the way of ideas what to use up on top. Part of me thinks metal would look cool. What do you think?

IMG_20201105_152333.jpg

fwiw, I finished my 14.8cf keezer custom lid a couple weeks ago (as serialized in the "What I Did For Beer Today" thread in the General forum). I used 1x4 maple for the structural bits and 3/4" plywood for the top, with a gloss white Formica laminate.

The oem lid weighed 25 pounds, mine weighs 50 with the 6 tap t-tower, 30" rinser tray, insulation, wiring, and interior lighting. I am careful when resting the lid open. Good thing there are three hinges :)

Cheers!

fwiw, I finished my 14.8cf keezer custom lid a couple weeks ago (as serialized in the "What I Did For Beer Today" thread in the General forum). I used 1x4 maple for the structural bits and 3/4" plywood for the top, with a gloss white Formica laminate.

The oem lid weighed 25 pounds, mine weighs 50 with the 6 tap t-tower, 30" rinser tray, insulation, wiring, and interior lighting. I am careful when resting the lid open. Good thing there are three hinges :)

Cheers!

Sa-weet! Checked out your build - wow looks great! I do love the tower system and part of the reasoning for the lid is to have a path to that in the future if so desired. I know I'm not anywhere close to that in terms of weight at this point though. I'm thinking I'm under 15 lbs at this point. Insulation is lightweight but still have the top and taps and such.

I probably didn't go far back enough in the thread - what freezer is that?

It sports a Frigidaire badge, model FFFC15M4TW, but it was built by Electrolux in a China facility, and I am pretty sure it is sold under numerous brand names.

15 pounds would be amazing - actually anything lighter than the oem lid would be amazing...

Cheers!

It sports a Frigidaire badge, model FFFC15M4TW, but it was built by Electrolux in a China facility, and I am pretty sure it is sold under numerous brand names.

15 pounds would be amazing - actually anything lighter than the oem lid would be amazing...

Cheers!

I'll weigh it later to double-check lol. I think that is one I looked at but since I was trying to buy during the pandemic this was the only one that was in stock!

Bit of progress on assembly... If I can get motivated today I'll cut the cover panels for the interior insulation and finish up the top insulation (goes in the three areas above the FRP.)

IMG_20201107_181302.jpg
IMG_20201107_181204.jpg
IMG_20201107_181211.jpg

Back