Input for a knuckle sandwich II IPA clone attempt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gigan

Reaction score
9 lbs LME
2 pounds corn sugar
1.5lbs crystal 15
.5 lbs crystal 40

Simcoe 13% 1.000 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 25.4
Simcoe 13% 1.000 oz Boil 5.000 min Pellet 6.6
Amarillo 10% 1.000 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 18.6
Amarillo 10% 1.000 oz Boil 5.000 min Pellet 4.8
Centennial 10% 0.500 oz DH 0.000 s Pellet 0.0
Simcoe 13% 0.500 oz DH 0.000 s Pellet 0.0

Im shooting for Knuckle sandwich clone I got the hop shedule from another thread.

The corn sugar idea comes from a guy I met that worked at bootleggers for a year or so. He said they use a butt ton of corn sugar and crystal .
Does anyone see anything horribly wrong with this? its my first not using a kit :p Thanks One more thing, I wont be using pellet Ill be using fresh Hops. Thanks for the input! :mug:

Just looking for someone to let me know of it looks like absolute S#!t or it looks drinkable :) Anyone?

I have only just begun upping my levels of crystal and corn/cane sugar in my beers, but with that being said, I think it looks like it should work.

I would maybe play with beercalculus a little just to see if you may need more extract with that level of corn sugar. I just did an IPA with 9 # of LME and used 1/2# of sugar and it seems nice to me. Or another idea would be to sub some of your Crystal steeping grains for some Munich Malt Extract.

Also, I have had a revelation with clean bittering hops like Magnum or Horizon for bitterness. I used to use some High or Medium Alpha Hops for IPA's and would get green flavors (like grass) that tend to fade with a little bottle aging, but stick around when the beer is fresh. Some have said that Simcoe can give off aromas/flavors if used at the 60 Min mark (others have said the opposite). I have never used it, so try it and see.

I'm still pretty new to brewing but fwiw it looks really light on the hops. It'll be a sugar bomb being that heavy on the crystal and light on hops.

I tried to find how many IBU's are in knuckle sandwich to get a better idea of how much hops you should use but I couldn't find it. I've never had Knuckle Sandwich but I would guess you need 2 almost 3 times the amount of hops you have listed.

Dumptruck, I've gone on sites where they say it's 53 ibu's and others that say it's 100+. I sent bootleggers an email to see if they could stir me in the right direction. We'll see..

Okay, you're closer than I thought. I took a look at a few other DIPA's on other brewery's websites to see how many IBU's they have listed.

Avery Dugana 93 ibu's
Sierra Nevada Hoptimum 100 ibu's
Pliny the Elder 100 ibu's
Heady Topper 120 ibu's

Hopefully they'll get back to you on it.

Are you adding all the extract at the beginning of the boil? If you add half at the beginning, and half in the last 15 minutes, you will get higher IBUs with the same hopping schedule.

Ya weird Im going to do a lil at the beginning and most at the end. also a full boil will get me in the 98 IBU range. I m super excited! Doing this tonight. Thanks for your help :)

last minute hop schedule change

boil 60 mins 1.0 Amarillo leaf 10.8
boil 60 mins 1.0 Centennial leaf 10.8
boil 60 mins 1.5 Simcoe leaf 11.9
boil 30 mins 1.0 Amarillo leaf 10.8
boil 30 mins 1.0 Simcoe leaf 11.9
boil 5 mins 0.5 Centennial leaf 10.8
dry hop 7 days 0.5 Centennial leaf 10.8
dry hop 7 days 0.5 Simcoe
Um ya well keep in mind it has 2lbs of Crystal and 2 lbs of corn sugar ? :p
I tasted it at og and it was interesting....

I tasted it today with the yeast going off and I gotta say it tastes a lot like Knuckle Sandwich. Very sweet at the moment but the yeast has a lot more work to go. I cant wait to dry hop this and get it a little further! This is my first attempt at brewing with out a set recipe from a kit. Im stoked so far. It could blow up on my face though still hehe.

This had an O.G. of 10.71 now at 10.15. It is tasting pretty good, though right now it is tasting a lot like Green Flash's West Coast IPA. Also I can tell it's going to take a lot of time for this to clear up. I used 2 packets of US-05, no starter, and no rehydrate. I want to try to do Yoopers lakefront recipe after this maybe!

BTW Beersmith puts this at 227.6 IBU's with the amount of crystal I used you can hardly tell :p

Well at this point all I taste is Alcohol :( . It pretty much sucks at the moment. Wondering if I should cut my losses and dump it? It seem I lost the body of it. And I taste hardly no Hoppiness in it at all right now. Does anyone have any advise for me? This thread hasn't really had much in the way of advise from any seasoned people here.... Nows the time to come out and tell me my recipe sucked..... Anyone? Ya, I know I'm gonna hear it about the cyrstal malt amount :p I think Ill just try Yoopers lake front recipe. I wish I coulda gotten some input from her on this mess :p

It's been said many times, but not to often heeded. Patience pays off. After keging and carbonating the beer it tastes pretty darn good! There are some good lessons I learnt and I will tweak this recipe but all in all its pretty good! I will change the hop schedule having learned how to time it to get more of what I was looking for and the grain bill will get a lil work over such as lowering the crystal and dextrose. Not what I was going for but A good IPA none the less.

if your looking to make a clone of knuckle sandwich dont look here this clone stinks..... Im still looking..... :mug:

Gigan were you able to find a decent clone of this beer? I was wanting to try and make one and have not been able to find very much info on it.

Back