Adding fruit or flavoring to a sour beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernoob88

Reaction score
So I am in the middle of making a sour beer using Philly Sour yeast. I'm about 5 days into fermentation and I was debating on what fruits to add. (Recipe below)

When I was at my brew shop in town I saw some Brewers Best Natural Flavor bottles. I picked up Peach and Raspberry.

My original plan was to add 4lbs of raspberries to the fermenter at day 10 till day 15. But since I saw the flavors I wondered it they would be better. The reason I was gonna do fruit is cause I tried a sour that had tiny chunks of fruit in it and it was amazing.

So im wondering if I should add 2-4lbs of peaches or raspberries to the batch or just use the flavorings instead.
Thanks

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Fruit Sour
Brew Method: BIAB
Boil Time: 30 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermenter volume)
Boil Size: 5.79 gallons
Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1
FERMENTABLES:
4 lb - North Star Pils (38.6%)
1 lb - Vienna (9.6%)
4 lb - Flaked Wheat (38.6%)
4 oz - Acidulated Malt (2.4%)
2 oz - Special B (1.2%)
1 lb - Corn Sugar (9.6%)
HOPS: 1.15 oz - Crystal, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.3, Use: Boil for 30 min
1 oz Citra 30 min
OTHER INGREDIENTS: 1 each - Whirlfloc, Time: 5 min,
YEAST: Lallemand - WildBrew Philly Sour x 2
NOTES: Corn Sugar added at 10 min left in boil

I've never tasted a beer (sour or clean) made with bottled "fruit" flavor that was as good as a similar beer made with real fruit (or puree or concentrate or juice).

I've never tasted a beer (sour or clean) made with bottled "fruit" flavor that was as good as a similar beer made with real fruit (or puree or concentrate or juice).
that makes sense. I tried the flavoring, and its more or less the exact same that I use when I used to make my own vape juice. (It was cheaper and I could customize it)

So I'm feeling that real fruit would be the way to go. Isn't there something I can add to stop fermentation once i get to the FG I am wanting?

I have a split batch of philly sour fermenting now. I was thinking one batch would be a key lime pie (graham cracker extract, lime zest tincture, cinnamon tincture, vanilla tincture) and the other would be a pasteurized fruit. Still undecided.. How did yours turn out? What fruits did you add?

Last edited:
Have only made one sour beer with fruit, and I think puree or real fruit are definitely the way to go. Made a Catharina Sour earlier this year with 6 lbs of pink guava puree from Fierce Fruit. They sent me the wrong size bag of puree, so only had 38 lbs let over. Wound up putting 24 lbs into a mead and gave the remaining to a fellow brewer.

I have a split batch of philly sour fermenting now. I was thinking one batch would be a key lime pie (graham cracker extract, lime zest tincture, cinnamon tincture, vanilla tincture) and the other would be a pasteurized fruit. Still undecided.. How did yours turn out? What fruits did you add?
The key lime was great, and ended up doing fresh blueberries eith a touch of blueberry extract in the other. I’d highly recommend both. In fact I enjoy it so much I’m brewing another batch to experiment with two new flavors (undecided so I landed here).

I added ~250g/l of a 50/50 mix of sweet and tart plums to a PhillySour batch. Got pretty good results.

(I added Brett at the same time; so I got pretty different results from what it sounds like you're assuming for.)

Latest posts

Back