West Coast IPA recipe check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all. Looking for a recipe check here. Doing our first WC IPA and want to make sure everything looks solid. I feel pretty good about it but just want to make sure I’m not missing anything. The hop combos are paired such that at each addition, we’re using a variety that has some pine to it and another variety that lends more fruit notes (except whirlpool, that’s more fruit forward). Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 43 gallons (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 45 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.058
Efficiency: 80% (ending kettle)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 0.97

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.063
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 6.96%
IBU (tinseth): 67.24
SRM (morey): 6.45
Mash pH: 5.3

FERMENTABLES:
18 lb - Pilsner (19.7%)
58 lb - Pale 2-Row (63.4%)
1.5 lb - Acidulated Malt (1.6%)
11 lb - Caramel / Crystal 20L (12%)
3 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose - (late boil kettle addition) (3.3%)

HOPS:
4 oz - Summit, Type: Pellet, AA: 18.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 29.64
10 oz - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 10.38
10 oz - Azacca, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 11.98
8 oz - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Aroma for 0 min
14 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Aroma for 0 min
10 oz - YQH-1320, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 180 °F, IBU: 6.1
12 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 180 °F, IBU: 9.14
15 oz - Azacca, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Dry Hop for 2 days
25 oz - YQH-1320, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Dry Hop for 2 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 30 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.36 qt/lb

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 F
Fermentation Temp: 58 F
Pitch Rate: 1.0 (M cells / ml / deg P)

Looks great man. I just wonder if you have had success fermenting S-05 at the low end of the range like that (58*), I think you could risk being under-attenuated there, and could still get a clean ferment at 63-65.

Looks great man. I just wonder if you have had success fermenting S-05 at the low end of the range like that (58*), I think you could risk being under-attenuated there, and could still get a clean ferment at 63-65.
Appreciate the response! Yeah, US-05 I always have good luck with at this temp, except in high abv beers. I have yet to get it to finish at the top of it's ABV range. But for this OG, yeah, I've had pretty good success with it.

Dump the crystal and corn sugar and add Munich. You'll thank me later. It's amazing in a WC.

US05 @65-68 will do the trick and be clean as a whistle.

Dump the crystal and corn sugar and add Munich. You'll thank me later. It's amazing in a WC.

US05 @65-68 will do the trick and be clean as a whistle.
Maybe I’ll bump the temp up to that. I always just try to stick to the low end but in this case, I think you guys are right and I can get away with that.

Add Munich? Is that because you like a bit of a heavier malt backbone in your ipas?

Maybe I’ll bump the temp up to that. I always just try to stick to the low end but in this case, I think you guys are right and I can get away with that.

Add Munich? Is that because you like a bit of a heavier malt backbone in your ipas?
Better flavor. I don't use any crystal in my WC anymore. Munich is not heavy at all.

Last edited:

May I ask what percentage of Munich do you typically use in your WCIPA grain bill?
And what is your typical base malt for the style?

I'm thinking about trying a grain bill of 85 % Maris Otter or Golden Promise, and 15 % Munich in my next WCIPA, while also dropping the crystal malt entirely. But I am not sure if such a grain bill might still be a tad too malty for the style. Maybe I should blend in some Pilsner to lighten it up a bit.
Background: I am in Europe so we don't have US 2-row here.
Thanks!

May I ask what percentage of Munich do you typically use in your WCIPA grain bill?
And what is your typical base malt for the style?

I'm thinking about trying a grain bill of 85 % Maris Otter or Golden Promise, and 15 % Munich in my next WCIPA, while also dropping the crystal malt entirely. But I am not sure if such a grain bill might still be a tad too malty for the style. Maybe I should blend in some Pilsner to lighten it up a bit.
Background: I am in Europe so we don't have US 2-row here.
Thanks!
Adding Munich will not make it too malty. Just be sure to bitter it enough. My most recent batch is 60 ibu, and I could go more or less depending on what I prefer at the moment. I feel it needs maybe 70-75 ibu for a true WC.

My most recent batch is
77% 2 Row (or Pilsner. I see a lot of people using Pilsner for the style. I have yet to do so)
15% Munich
8% carafoam.

I'd be fine with adding even another 5% Munich to push the limit. It's fantastic.

Better flavor. I don't use any crystal in my WC anymore. Munich is not heavy at all.
Might have to give it a try. Might have to brew it both ways and see what we like better. I’ve had a couple IPAs as of late where the malt flavor was way too much and took the emphasis away from the hops and I just was not a fan of those. I’ll have to do some research and see if there’s any commercial examples by me that use Munich instead of crystal

Might have to give it a try. Might have to brew it both ways and see what we like better. I’ve had a couple IPAs as of late where the malt flavor was way too much and took the emphasis away from the hops and I just was not a fan of those. I’ll have to do some research and see if there’s any commercial examples by me that use Munich instead of crystal
Spring Grove, PA? I can ship you a couple bottles of mine if you'd like.

Spring Grove, IL. While I would love to try it, don’t feel you need to. That’s an expense
Well, the offer is there, but the beer is going fast. It's literally in my top 3, maybe 2, favorite homebrews. I swapped in Munich for Vienna and it took the beer to another level. Highly recommend.

I think the modern trend goes towards 100% pilsner malt. Makes a great beer if you ask me!
I did come across that. I’m definitely intrigued by it. The people who get our beer are a little old school and like the old school IPAs. We’re starting here and then will probably do one in that style down the road. Gotta get people out of their comfort zone slowly lol

Well, the offer is there, but the beer is going fast. It's literally in my top 3, maybe 2, favorite homebrews. I swapped in Munich for Vienna and it took the beer to another level. Highly recommend.
Well, if you’re not opposed to it, I’ll take you up on it. Like I said, would love to try it

Hey all. Looking for a recipe check here. Doing our first WC IPA and want to make sure everything looks solid. I feel pretty good about it but just want to make sure I’m not missing anything. The hop combos are paired such that at each addition, we’re using a variety that has some pine to it and another variety that lends more fruit notes (except whirlpool, that’s more fruit forward). Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 43 gallons (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 45 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.058
Efficiency: 80% (ending kettle)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 0.97

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.063
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 6.96%
IBU (tinseth): 67.24
SRM (morey): 6.45
Mash pH: 5.3

FERMENTABLES:
18 lb - Pilsner (19.7%)
58 lb - Pale 2-Row (63.4%)
1.5 lb - Acidulated Malt (1.6%)
11 lb - Caramel / Crystal 20L (12%)
3 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose - (late boil kettle addition) (3.3%)

HOPS:
4 oz - Summit, Type: Pellet, AA: 18.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 29.64
10 oz - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 10.38
10 oz - Azacca, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 11.98
8 oz - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Aroma for 0 min
14 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Aroma for 0 min
10 oz - YQH-1320, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 180 °F, IBU: 6.1
12 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 180 °F, IBU: 9.14
15 oz - Azacca, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Dry Hop for 2 days
25 oz - YQH-1320, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Dry Hop for 2 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 30 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.36 qt/lb

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 F
Fermentation Temp: 58 F
Pitch Rate: 1.0 (M cells / ml / deg P)
I stumbled upon your post, I am the founder/ owner of YQH-1320, please let me know how you like it. It has been making great single hop beer and works well with others. [email protected]

Cheers, Tim

I stumbled upon your post, I am the founder/ owner of YQH-1320, please let me know how you like it. It has been making great single hop beer and works well with others. [email protected]

Cheers, Tim
Holy cow! Awesome! Yeah I’ll for sure let you know. My order from Yakima just shipped and we’re brewing on 1/21. I’ll keep you posted. We’re super pumped about that hop

I'm in Glenview just south of you! I don't know anybody that does munich specifically around here but Third Space and Good City up in Milwaukee make IPAs with really light grain bills. Lane at Roaring Table by you is doing some really, really interesting stuff with very light grain bills too. Worth a trip if you're chewing on recipes. Every time I'm in that place it's packed with families and locals and they seem to love it as much as me. Hopewell in the city builds their WC IPAs on some very lean grain bills too. 100% pils for some, just like @Miraculix mentioned.

My latest two WC have been mostly 2 row, a little MO, and a tiny bit of C10. Honestly, it doesn't need the caramel in my opinion. I've already cut it out of the next planned brew day. Playing around with the hop bills seems to move the needle more for me. I'm curious what others think. Having decent 15 and 5 mins additions seem to give me what I'm really wanting from a WC. I pulled the 15 min from my last Cold IPA and threw them in the whirlpool. It felt like the beer suffered for it. Still great aroma but pretty empty mid-palate in comparison.

You must have ordered from Yakima Valley Hops?
Why wouldn't he?!? You all are awesome!

Cheers, Tim
Tim, emailed you as well but this YQH-1320 hop was really fantastic. As stated we used it in an American ipa and paired the additions of it with chinook and azacca. It really came out with a beautiful balance of fruity and pine character. This hop will definitely make an appearance in our brewery again!!

1A6A83EF-E0A7-46CB-B39A-23583A26B46B.jpeg

5B824A34-769F-4652-8A68-D2F06B414C66.jpeg

I like crystal 10 or 15 in my IPA. It's only 4 to 5% of the grain bill though.
Yeah I think I would probably back this down a touch but not that far. I may go 8-10% next time but overall I like the flavor profile it has. @wepeeler was super generous and sent me 2 bottles of his with only Munich and they were great beers but that flavor profile is not one that I like with ipa.

I like crystal 10 or 15 in my IPA. It's only 4 to 5% of the grain bill though.

Yeah I think I would probably back this down a touch but not that far. I may go 8-10% next time but overall I like the flavor profile it has. @wepeeler was super generous and sent me 2 bottles of his with only Munich and they were great beers but that flavor profile is not one that I like with ipa.
Might have to give some crystal a try in the future. I just got my hands on Cascade, Centennial and Columbus, so I'm going to stick with my current grist and try the new hops out first. I actually went an extra pound of Munich in the last batch, and I love it. Sorry @Rob2010SS lol

Might have to give some crystal a try in the future. I just got my hands on Cascade, Centennial and Columbus, so I'm going to stick with my current grist and try the new hops out first. I actually went an extra pound of Munich in the last batch, and I love it. Sorry @Rob2010SS lol

I love Munich. I think it works great in an IPA.

No need to apologize man. That’s the beauty of Brewing! Brew what you like! Cheers my dude.

You have a lot of responses so far but here is my view;

My suggestion would be drop the 12% Crystal to 5-7% and make up the GU with basemalt. You don’t have high enough ibus to justify such a high percentage. It wouldn’t be a make or break but I don’t think you’d be overly happy with the character. Also, I wouldnt worry about the 3% dextrose with a 1.063 beer as with a lower mash temp you should be able to easily dry it out without needing to add it, especially if you drop the crystal. Again, not a make or break but might make it more “spritzy” than just dry.

This last suggestion is just truly personal. I don’t think you should use a brand new experimental hop the way your using it. If you really want to see how it performs, use chinook boil, mosiac and yqh 1320 whirlpool at 1:2 ratio and then dryhop exclusively with 1320. This is all assuming you haven’t used it yet as that will give you the best idea of what it can do. If you already have and you specifically planned your hop bill with your experience than disregard this last bit

Adding Munich will not make it too malty. Just be sure to bitter it enough. My most recent batch is 60 ibu, and I could go more or less depending on what I prefer at the moment. I feel it needs maybe 70-75 ibu for a true WC.

My most recent batch is
77% 2 Row (or Pilsner. I see a lot of people using Pilsner for the style. I have yet to do so)
15% Munich
8% carafoam.

I'd be fine with adding even another 5% Munich to push the limit. It's fantastic.
I'd like to try this one. what was your hop schedule?
did you use US-05?
thanks
Ken

I'd like to try this one. what was your hop schedule?
did you use US-05?
thanks
Ken
Here's the schedule, although I did not dry hop. I will be doing another batch next with the dry hop. It's insanely aromatic right now, so I can't even imagine a dry hop addition!
Hops.png

You have a lot of responses so far but here is my view;

My suggestion would be drop the 12% Crystal to 5-7% and make up the GU with basemalt. You don’t have high enough ibus to justify such a high percentage. It wouldn’t be a make or break but I don’t think you’d be overly happy with the character. Also, I wouldnt worry about the 3% dextrose with a 1.063 beer as with a lower mash temp you should be able to easily dry it out without needing to add it, especially if you drop the crystal. Again, not a make or break but might make it more “spritzy” than just dry.

This last suggestion is just truly personal. I don’t think you should use a brand new experimental hop the way your using it. If you really want to see how it performs, use chinook boil, mosiac and yqh 1320 whirlpool at 1:2 ratio and then dryhop exclusively with 1320. This is all assuming you haven’t used it yet as that will give you the best idea of what it can do. If you already have and you specifically planned your hop bill with your experience than disregard this last bit
As usual, great feedback man. This has already been brewed and distributed. However, like I said, I think a future iteration, we’d drop the Crystal to 8-10% and maybe increase the IBUs a bit. I thought higher than 84 IBU would be aggressive but after drinking it, I think I’d take it to 100 even. As far as the experimental hop, it worked out really well. It gave the beer a nice fruity profile but still kept some of those soft pine characteristics in the background.

Everyone who had it really liked it though! Had several people come in and try it and tell us that they don’t really like anti hero or irie but loved this.

As usual, great feedback man. This has already been brewed and distributed. However, like I said, I think a future iteration, we’d drop the Crystal to 8-10% and maybe increase the IBUs a bit. I thought higher than 84 IBU would be aggressive but after drinking it, I think I’d take it to 100 even. As far as the experimental hop, it worked out really well. It gave the beer a nice fruity profile but still kept some of those soft pine characteristics in the background.

Everyone who had it really liked it though! Had several people come in and try it and tell us that they don’t really like anti hero or irie but loved this.
Glad it turned out good, there wasn’t anything “wrong” with your recipe, brewers just have certain styles/preferences. It also strongly matters where you are located as region taste different greatly.

My comments on the hops were strictly because it was a new hop so I always like to use new hops in single hop beers or single dryhop beers so that you get a feel for the hop. With mosiac and azacca being fruity and chinook being piney, you may not of got a good feel for what 1320 brings to the table. Again what you did was perfectly fine and turned out good. it was just a suggestion to better understand the hop variety itself

Glad it turned out good, there wasn’t anything “wrong” with your recipe, brewers just have certain styles/preferences. It also strongly matters where you are located as region taste different greatly.

My comments on the hops were strictly because it was a new hop so I always like to use new hops in single hop beers or single dryhop beers so that you get a feel for the hop. With mosiac and azacca being fruity and chinook being piney, you may not of got a good feel for what 1320 brings to the table. Again what you did was perfectly fine and turned out good. it was just a suggestion to better understand the hop variety itself
Absolutely and that is how it was taken. All good man.

I agree completely with this approach. As I typically make 10 gallon batches, I am able to dry hop each 5 gallon keg with a different hop (I do mix hops in the boil, flavor and steeping). Single dry hop beers have really helped me appreciate different hops and better recognize the ones I like the best.

It’s funny. Sometimes I like to THINK that I know everything and know better but in this case, I think I can accept you were right. I tried this ipa side by side with Old Nation Brewings 70+ west coast ipa a few min ago. The difference is VERY obvious. Ours is very malty/sweet compared to the old nation version. While I still like ours a lot, I think there’s something to be said about less caramel malts. This recipe definitely needs a few tweaks.

Appreciate all the feedback.

Brought my latest (WC-ish) APA to my brew club meeting last night, and the owner of the brewery loved it. He did mention my last version was "snappier", and he thought this one was missing the "snap". He said to dial back the Munich to 15%. I had it at 25%.

It's going in a competition this weekend, so I'll get more unbiased feedback soon.

Last edited:
Back