I'm Thinking... 09/09/09 Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL. I love you and your Photoshop skills, BM.

I need to build and split my starter.... I already know what yeast I'm using.... Cry Havoc. :fro:

PS, +1 to this trend of Flight of the Conchords avatars! Gotta love that show.

I want to brew this so bad but I have to move Sept 1st..Damn roommates!!!!

Who said moving is an obstacle. You just have to plan it right.
I am probably moving about 700 miles in October and I estimate that about 25 gallons will be going with me (in kegs and carboys). That doesn't count my bottle collection.:rockin:

I was thinking about Breaking in the new house with the smell of hops. So a Sept 4th brewday might be possible

what are the thoughts about using a Belgian abbey yeast for this like 1214? I think thats the abbey strain.

I'm planning on a 90-minute mash and a 120-minute boil.

I'll still have to use 5# of DME to reach the target OG of 1.119 since my MLT is small (7 gals) and I want a full 5.5 gallon batch. No whimpy 3 gallons for me!

Right now I'm planning on pitching two rehydrated packs of Nottingham, but I might make a big Cali Ale starter just for kicks.

Was there ever a consensus as to if this could be made with a 10 gal cooler MLT? Or, it is too big for that?

Was there ever a consensus as to if this could be made with a 10 gal cooler MLT? Or, it is too big for that?

I'm doing a 3-gallon batch (using my 10-gallon).

I figure a 1 1/2 cases (+/-) of barleywine is plenty.

The scaled down recipe is in my "Guidelines and Recipe" sig link below if you're interested.

The scaled down recipe is in my "Guidelines and Recipe" sig link below if you're interested.

Does doing a 3 gal batch require a different size of primary and secondary? The smallest fermenter I have is a 5 gal BB. Would it be a problem to secondary a 3 gal batch in this, due to the headspace?

You would be surprised. :cross: After being down to only a hand full of my last BW made a year ago, I'm wishing I would have had 10 gallons of it.

9/9 yes you should be able to do it in a 10 gallon cooler, its just gonna be filled to the top.

Sounds good! I'm brewing it on 9/11, my birthday. Can't think of a better way to spend my day.

I did mine yesterday so that it has a little more than a year to age for my 50th birthday next August( that and the fact that I'm probably going to need surgury on my elbow soon:( )
I did my own recipe (Closer to pastors "water to" recipe) and got 1.098 with no added sugar(100% malt). It is fermenting harder than anything I've ever made and that is at 60-61f.

Bit off topic, but I'm researching coolers for my MLT. I don't want any issues with size so I'm looking at a 70qt a wally.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4807332

Am I shooting too high? This will be my first AG setup, and I realize I won't be doing beers this large all the time. I can get a 10g cooler anytime as well. Just thought this would cover my needs, plus some.

I'm going to make a full-sized batch using my 7 gallon cooler MLT. I'm going to max out my cooler with grain and then supplement with 5# of DME in the boil to reach target grav. Hopefully that is not against the rules...:)

Bit off topic, but I'm researching coolers for my MLT. I don't want any issues with size so I'm looking at a 70qt a wally.

Am I shooting too high? This will be my first AG setup, and I realize I won't be doing beers this large all the time. I can get a 10g cooler anytime as well. Just thought this would cover my needs, plus some.

I kind of like this one from wally.

Holds 15 gallons and is a bit more mobile and compact.

I wouldn't go with the 60qt wheeled version bc I've read that the wheels make it more difficult to add a manifold/braid/whatever. That said, I've got the 48qt version and love it. Thats what I plan on doing this bad boy in....plus I do my 5gal batches in it without any problems.....

FYI this "can I mash it?" calculator says it'll take up 9.62gal of space...or 38.48 quarts :D

I have that one but in the 80qt size and I like it. Wish I would have gone to a 100qt though.

Edwort,

Please step in here and back up the Pastor.
He is getting hammered for speaking of dry yeast in a positive tone.
I know you use it in many of your staple recipes.

dry yeast rocks the hiz-ouse. I always use it unless it's required for a specific style.

Safale 05, bitches!

OK, I may have started another yeast war so lets switch back to the 999. Where do we stand on an extract version. I have not read all 346 messages.

OK, I may have started another yeast war so lets switch back to the 999. Where do we stand on an extract version. I have not read all 346 messages.

I haven't seen one yet.

I've posted the 3-gallon AG version on the sticky.

As soon as someone comes up with an extract/PM version, I'll add it to the sticky.

Note - according to Can I Mash It this 5 gallon recipe can be done at 1.2 qts/lb in a 10 gallon cooler(26 lbs of grain). At this mash thickness you will use 9.88 gallons. No problem!

I think I posted this previously, but am not sure.

I may be wrong, but 9.88 gallons plus the amount of room the grain will take up seems like over 10 gallons...

Looking at with 26 lb that means you are at something like 8.125 gallons, I just don't believe that 26 lb of grain takes up less than 1.875 gallons of space

Heavyweight? I am 6'2" so 200# is not really too far out of line. Is it?:cross:

I am 6' 210 lbs (and growing with 2 brews on tap at all times).

Anyway, back to 999......how many people are not going to(read can't) wait until September for this. I know I am one of them.

I may be wrong, but 9.88 gallons plus the amount of room the grain will take up seems like over 10 gallons...

Looking at with 26 lb that means you are at something like 8.125 gallons, I just don't believe that 26 lb of grain takes up less than 1.875 gallons of space

The calculator tells you the volume needed (grain + water), that's the 9.88 gallons referenced. It's not been wrong in the past, but I agree it does sound funky. Maybe it's absorption?

Did anyone get Forrest to commit?

Is Austin Homebrew Supply going to set aside ingredients? Or maybe even AG kits?

It isn't looking good for both the Magnum and Centennial's.

Latest posts

Back