I'm Thinking... 09/09/09 Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am 6' 210 lbs (and growing with 2 brews on tap at all times).

Anyway, back to 999......how many people are not going to(read can't) wait until September for this. I know I am one of them.

As I posted earlier,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, did mine yesterday.

So,,,,,,,, so far 1 person couldn't wait, anyone else?

So, I've got a question......

For those of us that are doing a 5 gal batch, how should we go about it? Are we using all/mostly first runnings (is there enough??) or are we sparging until we hit our desired preboil volume (like 7gal) or are we sparging for like 12gal and boiling down??

Also, what amout making this a partigyle?

This has possibly been answered but hey, doesn't hurt to talk about the logistics :D

So, I've got a question......

For those of us that are doing a 5 gal batch, how should we go about it? Are we using all/mostly first runnings (is there enough??) or are we sparging until we hit our desired preboil volume (like 7gal) or are we sparging for like 12gal and boiling down??

Also, what amout making this a partigyle?

This has possibly been answered but hey, doesn't hurt to talk about the logistics :D

Biermuncher made a 3 gallon batch, is that what your looking for?

No, I want to do a full 5 gallon batch but I'm just wondering about the preboil volumes. My MLT will handle the grain, I've just never done a beer this big...

So, are we sparging for like 7gal, using just first runnings, or sparging for like 12 gal and boiling down :confused:

No, I want to do a full 5 gallon batch but I'm just wondering about the preboil volumes. My MLT will handle the grain, I've just never done a beer this big...

So, are we sparging for like 7gal, using just first runnings, or sparging for like 12 gal and boiling down :confused:

If you want good efficiency you will need to boil a **** ton down. I just put extra wort, in other pots and boil on those, and then some in my HLT.

Hmm maybe I should have just read this part of the recipe :drunk:

00:33:00 Mash In - Liquor: 8.24 gal; Strike: 162.3 °F; Target: 150.0 °F
01:33:00 Saccharification Rest - Rest: 60.0 min; Final: 148.0 °F
01:41:41 Mash Out - Heat: 8.7 min; Target: 168.0 °F
02:26:41 Sparge - Sparge: 1.46 gal sparge @ 170.0 °F, 6.6 gal collected, 45.0 min; Total Runoff: 6.77 gal
Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.29

Says Mash w/ 8.24gal, sparge w/1.46gal and collect 6.77gal. That answers my question(s) :D

So, then I SHOULD have enough fermentables left in the mash to do a small beer......SWEET!

Hmm maybe I should have just read this part of the recipe :drunk:

Says Mash w/ 8.24gal, sparge w/1.46gal and collect 6.77gal. That answers my question(s) :D

So, then I SHOULD have enough fermentables left in the mash to do a small beer......SWEET!

With that small of a sparge except you efficiency to suck. I always do .5 gallons per pound of grain.

Me to....but the recipe is set to 65%. As long as the OG is right in the kettle then I don't really mind a sh!tty eff.

Again though, I've never done a big beer so I'm just going by what I know and what the recipe says...

Me to....but the recipe is set to 65%. As long as the OG is right in the kettle then I don't really mind a sh!tty eff.

Again though, I've never done a big beer so I'm just going by what I know and what the recipe says...

Thats How I felt, I was asking myself if I should do an extract batch instead.

Personally I don't see how you could come even close with that little sparge, but if you can more power to ya.

I'm sure I can pull off an AG version of this beer.........I guess it'll just be a brew day decision. You know, take gravity readings to see where I am/where I should be and sparge/boil accordingly.

Just keep some Extra Light DME on hand. I had to add 3 lb to my Eng style but it had an O.G. of 1.132 I hit an O.G. of 1.107 from just the grain.

My plan is to act like this is just my normal 11 gal batch and then just "forget" while I'm boiling and end up with 5.5. :D It will be a long day but I can boil off 2.5 gal an hour if I want to.

I'll probably follow the recipe and check my pre-boil volume and SG and see if that works out, if it doesn't I'll most likely throw another couple gallons in the mash tun and add that, then put 7 gallons in the mash tun and drain that into my HLT to do my small beer (it'll be a crap shoot on how small). I'll just have my keggle and my HLT boiling at the same time.

Seem like a reasonable plan?

I'll probably follow the recipe and check my pre-boil volume and SG and see if that works out, if it doesn't I'll most likely throw another couple gallons in the mash tun and add that, then put 7 gallons in the mash tun and drain that into my HLT to do my small beer (it'll be a crap shoot on how small). I'll just have my keggle and my HLT boiling at the same time.

Seem like a reasonable plan?

If you are going to batch sparge it should work fine. A bunch of small sparges are quick to heat and you could go until you have the numbers you want.
I will endup woth 15-16 gal start and boil down to 5.5 so what I'll do is collect in buckets and then use both the kettle and HLT to boil it down to 7 and then move it all to the kettle and start the hops.

So, what is the formula for how much DME to add if the SG is low? In other words, if I am 10 points low from low eff. before the boil, how much do I add to bring it back up?

If you are going to batch sparge it should work fine. A bunch of small sparges are quick to heat and you could go until you have the numbers you want.
I will endup woth 15-16 gal start and boil down to 5.5 so what I'll do is collect in buckets and then use both the kettle and HLT to boil it down to 7 and then move it all to the kettle and start the hops.

The only reason to sparge so much is to keep your efficiency high, right?

I was thinking of doing a 120 minute boil, but I've decided to just collect my usual amount of wort and do a 60 minute boil. I have to use some DME to reach gravity anyway, so there is little benefit to me of the extra hour spent boiling.

The reason to have more sparge water, and thus have to boil longer is an efficiency thing. Probably not cost effective since you could just throw another couple pounds of base grain in, or some DME to bring it up. But a lot of people like to keep the recipe all-grain if possible.

My thought for a recipe like this is if I hit 1.100 instead of the 1.112 predicted then I think that is just fine for a barleywine, I wouldn't worry about the 10 points when you are shooting for such high gravity anyway.

But remember the bigger the beer usually means the lower the effieciency. I did 2 runnings on mine(3.75 gal batch) for 6.75 gallons. Then I added 1lb Pale Malt, 4oz crystal and 2oz RB and make 5gals of 1.032 mild

But remember the bigger the beer usually means the lower the effieciency. I did 2 runnings on mine(3.75 gal batch) for 6.75 gallons. Then I added 1lb Pale Malt, 4oz crystal and 2oz RB and make 5gals of 1.032 mild

That all depends on how you do it. This grain billis the same as all my beers. because I to 11 gal batches. So I won't have any problem hitting an 80+% on this if I treat it as a 11 gal and just boil it down. Sure it's not cost efective to do it this way but I'm not doing it to make money so what do I care if it cost me another $5 in LPG and a few hours? A 1.175 - 1.190 OG would be great.:rockin:

I'm thinking of doing two 5 gal batches. The first being a Thomas hardy's clone at 1.132 followed by an American style at about 1.098. I'll have to add another mash on top of the first to get the gravity that high. I'll just have some DME to adjust my gravity if needed.

Count one more in for this. I joined to late for the 888 event. Made me feel like I wasn't a real HBT member. I think this will be a GREAT brew experience and also it's just a great sense of community doing something like this!

*edits*
Just read about the memebers only. Is there a date we have to be confirmed by? I plan on joining but with a baby due any day it's getting harder and harder to squeeze out extra money.

Also was there ever a general consensus as to the Pale malt being used? So many varieties.

Also, Pale Chocolate not in beersmith... what to do?

For the 3 gallon batch do you still want to use 2 packs of yeast? A starter and yeast nutrient?

Also i would think an O2 system for aeration would be necessary for a beer this big (seem to remember that from an interview with someone from wyeast)?

IrregularPulse, pale chocolate malt is just like regular chocolate malt, except it's SRM is 200 instead of 350. There's more info in the wiki about the two malts.

Picked up a 10gal Rubbermaid cooler at HomeDepot this morning. I guess I will be pretty close to AG for this beer. Might have to supplement a little DME depending on the efficiency.
Now I have no excuses. For using extract in my beers. Atleast until I go 10gal batches :D

Craig

Any word from Forrest at Austin Homebrew Supply yet?

+1, I hope he's willing to help us with a kit again, I was really happy that it worked out for the RIS brew! I need to buy ingredients for OktoberFAST and I have my cart already full for this weekend's sale... Now I just need a BW kit and I'm set to roll! :D

I ordered my ingredients today!!!!!:rockin:(finally got my stimulus check)

Bought two batches worth.....gonna brew my dry-hopped version of Edwort's Haus PA, then brew the 999 and rack on top of the cake.

So it looks like my 999 will be a little early. It will most likely be in primary about a month from now.

Did I headbang already?:rockin:

EDIT: FYI, Northern Brewer has Centennials in stock in pellets. They are the only online storefront I have been able to find that has them. They have Magnums too. Those are hard to find as well.

I've pulled a name or two off this list due to being MIA the last month or more. I've also scrubbed for names that I know have not delivered on the last RIS-888 swap.

If you feel you've been overlooked or you wish to pull out...let me know.

9/9
98EXL
Air Pirate
Alamo_Beer
BakerStreetBeers
Beerrific
Beerthoven
BierMuncher
Bike N Brew
blacklab
Brewpastor
Brewsmith
BuffaloSabresBrewer
CBBaron
chadley (Possible MIA)
chriso
conpewter
Couevas
DeathBrewer
deathweed
Displaced MassHole
EdWort
Evan!
EvilTOJ
FSR402
hagbardceline
Hagen
HarvInSTL
IrregularPulse
jds
jmulligan
justbrewit (Possible MIA)
Kai
Kilted Brewer
Liquidicem
MikeFlynn74
mrkristofo
Mutilated1
nealf
niquejim
olllllo
Ooompa Loompa
Pirate Ale
RICLARK
Ridemywideglide
TexLaw
the_bird
uglygoat
Warrior
wildwest450

I have individually sealed Magnum 1oz in the freezer if anyone needs. Send a PM if you likey. :)
AFA Centennial is concerned, I use http://www.brew365.com/hop_availability_chart.php whenever I need hops. Good link to bookmark.

SO EXCITED. Been tweaking my recipe over the past couple of days. I am debating making it 100% simcoe. Is that weird of me?

Man, took my first run at this yesterday and all was going well till I was chilling the wort. Used a pump for the first time and I had hoses flying left and right. Lost a good gallon or so and had issues keeping a good flow with the pump. Second batch of the day went much better (partigyle). I'll totally have to do this again.

Question. How long to most folks leave in primary? Do you secondary or just bottle and let age?

Back