I'm Thinking... 09/09/09 Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, I hadn't checked this thread in about a week, so I just got caught up. But I didn't see an extract version posted yet. Did I miss it, or has anybody made one yet?

I will take a crack at it assuming we will be steeping grains. What about mini mashing? It would be better with a mini mash IMEACO

I could handle a mini mash, I suppose. I would just steep the grains a lil longer, and watch the temp a bit more carefully, then rinse the grain bag with 170 degree sparge water. Probably won't get quite the effiency as a "real" mini mash, but it would get the job done.

Pale Chocolate though, means ordering from morebeer. Not that I don't like them, but just an FYI, they're the only ones that carry it I think. Recipe looks great otherwise, I might sub that one for something else( like half the amount of reg. choclate malt). I realize its not the same though.

Looks like Austin Homebrew just recently started carrying this too.

9/9
98EXL
Air Pirate
BakerStreetBeers
Beerrific
blacklab
Brewpastor
Brewsmith
BuffaloSabresBrewer
CBBaron
chadley
Cheeto1977
conpewter
Couevas
DeathBrewer
deathweed
EdWort
Evan!
EvilTOJ
FSR402
Hagen
HarvInSTL
Ize
jds
justbrewit
Kilted Brewer
landhoney
Liquidicem
MikeFlynn74
Mutilated1
olllllo
Ooompa Loompa
RICLARK
TexLaw
the_bird
uglygoat
wildwest450

Well, it looks like what I thought was a 48 quart cooler is actually a 30 quart cooler. I can fit exactly 18.5 lbs of grain plus 5.75 gallons of mash water into it. So it looks like it's about time to buy a larger cooler!

9/9
98EXL
Air Pirate
BakerStreetBeers
Beerrific
blacklab
Brewpastor
Brewsmith
BuffaloSabresBrewer
CBBaron
chadley
Cheeto1977
conpewter
Couevas
DeathBrewer
deathweed
EdWort
Evan!
EvilTOJ
FSR402
Hagen
HarvInSTL
Ize
jds
justbrewit
Kilted Brewer
landhoney
Liquidicem
MikeFlynn74
Mutilated1
olllllo
Ooompa Loompa
RICLARK
TexLaw
the_bird
uglygoat
wildwest450
Add me to that list, just brewed an english style sunday. This gives me a reason to make an american version in Sept.

rad. i'll be doing an English BW with a friend in a couple of weeks and practicing the reiterative mash.

i'll get pictures and let everyone know what went wrong/right.

Was thinking 3.5 gallons. Now thinking going the full 5.75 into primary by reiterating my mash reiterating my mash.

Mash #1:
13 lbs pale malt
1.25 qt / lb = 16.25 mash water
Mash out w/6.25 qt, no sparge for 999BW wort
Capture 4.5 gallons of runnings -- these should be about 1.065 - 1.075. Heat these to strike temp for mash #2.
Grains should be dry (or close) except for about 6.5 qt retained by mash.
Before moving to second mash, sparge and collect separate runnings for partigyle small beer. Probably about 2 gallons at 1.020 to 1.030 -- stop when gravity drops below 1.010.

Mash #2:
Rest of the grain bill (11 lbs pale, plus the chocolate, munich, special B and crystal) : 13-3/8 lbs total.
1.25 qt / lb = 12.5 qt of runnings from mash #1.
Mash out with the last 5.5 qt and drain tun. First runnings should be about 13 qt.
Sparge with 14 Qt. This should yield 6.75 to the boil. Dropping this to 5.75 over the course of the boil and adding the 1.5 lbs of table sugar should get close to the target OG.

Sparge Mash #2 until it's kicked (or until you have 6+ gallons of small wort).

I calculated this using brewpastors grain bill and target volumes for pre/post boil. I used 65% efficiency.

Feedback and questions are welcome!

I may try this soon on an RIS.

I am a complete AG n00b. Can you explain what is meant by "second runnings"?
Second runnings is where you brew a big beer and follow with a smaller beer afterwards. When making a big all grain beer you leave a some amout of sugars in the grain that is still there after the sparge. I brewed a 1.132 gravity eng style barleywine on Sunday. I added another 5lbs of grain and then brewed a 1.049 gravity 80 shilling scotch ale afterwards. This helps you extract the extra sugars that otherwise would be wasted with the spent grain.

Second runnings is where you brew a big beer and follow with a smaller beer afterwards. When making a big all grain beer you leave a some amout of sugars in the grain that is still there after the sparge. I brewed a 1.132 gravity eng style barleywine on Sunday. I added another 5lbs of grain and then brewed a 1.049 gravity 80 shilling scotch ale afterwards. This helps you extract the extra sugars that otherwise would be wasted with the spent grain.

Hm... sounds interesting. Do you need to be able to do both boils at the same time? Or, can the spent grains sit for an hour plus while you do the boil for the big brew and then do the smaller brew?

Hm... sounds interesting. Do you need to be able to do both boils at the same time? Or, can the spent grains sit for an hour plus while you do the boil for the big brew and then do the smaller brew?
You don't have to do the boil at the same time. I added the extra grains to the keg MLT and raised the temp back to 170. I had already heated the additional water for the cooler HLT for the next sparge. I collected the wort in two bottling buckets and then transfered that back to the cooler HLT to help hold the temp. After the boil was done on the 1st beer, I cleaned out the hops and cold break from the keg. I then transfered the wort from the HLT and did the second boil. Two different beers on the same brew day and you utilize most of the sugars from the grain this way.

I'm in (PM sent). This will be my first barleywine, and my first beer that has an OG greater than 1.085. Can't wait for late August to brew this!

I think this is going to be the brew that makes me get off my butt and buy that 40 gal kettle I have been wanting. Maybe I'll make this a 10 or even 15 gal batch. :rockin:

I think this is going to be the brew that makes me get off my butt and buy that 40 gal kettle I have been wanting. Maybe I'll make this a 10 or even 15 gal batch. :rockin:
40 gal kettle, that's huge do you mean a 40 qt?

All right. I was against this idea initially. I've never liked Barleywine much. But what the ****, right?

I'm in. PMing now. But I can guarantee I'm taking some "liberties" with the recipe. Pacific Gem Smoked Barleywine anyone?

After all. I'd look like a tool if I organized the 08 and didn't even participate in the 09.

5 bucks says Instawares, it's where most ppl get their kettles when they need one big enough to boil a human in.

WHAT? Don't give me that look! ;)

Are we going to try to get Forrest from Austin Hombrew to carry this recipe as a kit again? Just curious...

PM Sent. Forrest just finished up a huge sale so he's probably catching up on orders.

We'll see if he can/wants to, put something together. I also mentioned that there may be a fair number of 3-gallon batches brewed.

and as a side note to Forrest...if I ordered this kit from you I would defiantly be ordering alot more and I know I'm not the only one.

If it's a complete kit (the right hops and all) I would be up for it. If not, I have most of the hops needed so I would just drive the 8 miles and get the grains from the LHBS.

Back