I have an idea for controlling the temp, do you think it will work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beginnier927

Reaction score
I have all the tools needed to try this lying around, I just dont know if its worth trying cause you usually get only one chance at a healthy fermentation, a bad start and all you've done is lost
for me, using a fridge is not an option
I wanted to try the ice bath method, but theres no active temperature control feature to it, so i thought id try my own method
im gonna ferment in a clear plastic fermenter, im attaching a sloppy made design of what im gonna do, i can also wrap a piece of clothing around the fermenter for better insulation, the waterpump will be connected to a digital thermostat,the sensor of which is connected to the outside of the fermenter and insulated with some foam cuts, 0.5c up and it will turn on, causing the water to flow through the tubing and come out of the small holes in the ring tube, thus rinsing the fermener, i will also cover the top of the sensor with something so that theres no contact with the flowing ice cold water
i want to brew some oatmeal stout and the closest yeast to the style i can find is s04, i dont like esters in my dark beers, i also dont want it to get as dry as something brewed with us05
based on what ive read, s04 is pretty clean at 17-18c
my room temp is about 24-26c
do you think i can use this method to get it down to 18c? or should i just dip the whole thing in ice water? my fear is that ice water will get it too cold since theres no active temp control

Attachments

• 11.png
    11.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 0
This could work, though the sensor location is not ideal.

You could test by measuring the temperature (with a long probe thermometer) in the fermenter to see if your plan is working, and to determine the difference between the internal temperature and the set-point of your thermostat.

During active fermentation this difference will likely be considerably greater, but you could test with water before fermenting actual beer this way.

I love tinkering with this kind of stuff

I also recommend a thermowell for your temp sensor inside the fermenter. The temp sensor on the outside is just asking for trouble with icewater flowing over it, IMHO.

You could also do a submerged fermenter connected to another bucket of icewater, circulate the cold water as needed to maintain a thermal mass. A return line to the cold reservoir would keep from overflowing when the pump is ON. I think you will find that the ice will be consumed fairly quick making it a maintenance intensive process, extra attention to insulation would help.

Or for $80 you can get a coolzone water jacket but that cost is nearly two more batches of homebrew.

The only thing I'd worry about with this method is infection of your batch via mold growth in like a spigot or something stupid.

However, technically, this will work, if you can place the probe in the wort itself it would be best practice. There was some company manufacturing TNT that used to cool their reactors this way. If it is good enough to keep TNT from running away, it'll be good enough to make beer.

Honestly, I'd pick up the following cooling coil and stopper from anvil, along with a cheap AC pond pump and inkbird controller from amazon. And recirculate out of a cooler filled with icewater if I were you. (FYI anvil does have a full kit for like $150)

https://www.anvilbrewing.com/anvil-cooling-coil
https://www.anvilbrewing.com/anvil-7-4-hole-stopper

i have a thermometer with a metal probe, is it ok to put it directly in the fermenting wort through the blowoff tube? metal and beer, ive heard stories

Before I went to higher tech, I just fastened the probe on the outside of the FV with a 3 x 4 x ¼ inch thick piece of foam between it and the tape to insulate it from the ambient air. When I got a raptPill and could monitor the internal temps, I left the probe on the outside to compare the readings. Surprisingly they were within a degree of each other most of the time. The external probe had just a little bit of lag when internal temps started rising and falling. But not enough that I ever felt it'd truly matter for keeping the beer close enough to the temperature I wanted.

So you might not bother.

Back