Fermentation temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bswan0508

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to turn a closet into a temp controlled fermentation chamber. But im thinking of going another way now and wondering if anyone else has done it. What i want to do is use temptwister cooling coils for obviously the cooling but it occured to me i may be able to do heating as well with the same coil. A couple electronic valve and 2 seperate pumps one in a cooler of ice water for cooling. And the other in another cooler with just water but pump the watrer through a mini tankless water heater all controlled by an inkbird itc 308. Any thoughts? Or experince with this?

How often are you willing to add ice? I've done an ice bath a few times, but I was never able to keep it constantly fed 24 hrs a day.

How often are you willing to add ice? I've done an ice bath a few times, but I was never able to keep it constantly fed 24 hrs a day.
As much as required but a good yeti cooler should keep it quite a while. Its only maintaining temperature i cant imagine once i get it to fermentation temps that it would even be on a whole lot. I live in michigan so at the moment im more interested in the heating side rather then the cooling.

first question...

what is your fermentation vessel? that will determine what fits what and what possibilities are out there...

As much as required but a good yeti cooler should keep it quite a while. Its only maintaining temperature i cant imagine once i get it to fermentation temps that it would even be on a whole lot. I live in michigan so at the moment im more interested in the heating side rather then the cooling.
Maybe. I have see an active fermentation push my beer temps to 10F above ambient.

Heating is much easier and cheaper than cooling. I have been pretty happy using some seedling heat mats to keep fermentations warm. I picked up a heat mat plus heat controller off Amazon for maybe $30. A water heater seems a bit overkill. Other options might be a small space heater or a ceramic heating bulb + a temp controller.

Maybe. I have see an active fermentation push my beer temps to 10F above ambient.

Heating is much easier and cheaper than cooling. I have been pretty happy using some seedling heat mats to keep fermentations warm. I picked up a heat mat plus heat controller off Amazon for maybe $30. A water heater seems a bit overkill. Other options might be a small space heater or a ceramic heating bulb + a temp controller.
You are correct that is the current setup i have for heating now. And cooling i have it in my keezer but i want to use my keezer for finished kegs. So im trying to set it up with the temp twister to heat and cool outside of a fermentation chamber. That way i can have multiple batches fermenting and still have use of my keezer.

Back