Cooler for temp control?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sig

Reaction score
Hi all. I have heard of some using a cooler filled with ice water in conjunction to with a pump to help regulate temperature during fermentation process. Does anyone here do something similar? If so, could you be willing to explain your set-up and/or post some pictures? Looking for some ideas.

I will be running a SS Brewtech Chronical 2.0 with FTS temp control system. My basic plan is to get a basic, run of the mill cooler, drill a couple holes in the lid for my water in/out tubing, fill the thing with water and ice, set my temp on the FTS and let it do it's thing.

Thanks!

That is what I used to do. no pics, but it worked well but was a pita because ice had to be added 2 or 3 times a day. I used frozen jugs of water or packed snow in the winter. Now I use the same pump and FTS controller, but have a DIY glycol chiller, Much easier.

That is what I used to do. no pics, but it worked well but was a pita because ice had to be added 2 or 3 times a day. I used frozen jugs of water or packed snow in the winter. Now I use the same pump and FTS controller, but have a DIY glycol chiller, Much easier.

Same here. Did a cooler, but ice melted too quickly. I did it twice and said to heck with it; bought a Glycol Chiller.

warning. very long post ahead with lots of pics.

there are many many options for temp control. the absolute best would be to attach a glycol chiller to your in and out tube. as others have said. but funds may not allow this, and maybe you are not handy to diy it with an ac unit. thats me. im too cheap and i cant build the ac thing. i wish i could.

1704461270132.png

is this what you got? omg that thing is bad a$$!!!. my swimbo would think i absolutely went crazy. when she saw my aio, she said it looked like a small test rocket for a spacetourism start-up. is it the 7,14, or 17 gallon. smaller volumes in the fermenter cool much quicker but are more subject to temp changes. water based solutions have a high heat coefficient and the larger the volume the longer it takes to change temperature. however it will take longer to cool down and obviously require more ice/ chilling up front. if you have good insulation once you get it chilled, the larger volume should stay cooler longer. this has been my experience. small batch brewers know very well how easy it is to chill wort in an ice bath.

anyway i think you can do this without a glycol chiller. and you can do it with just a cooler and changing jugs like you intend. i think the main problem would be cold escape throught the top which doesnt look as well insulated. i would make a "hat" for it .

1704462354242.png

use a styro foam cooler . the omaha steaks one is much better than the flimsey drugstore/ beverage store beach ones. trust me its much easier to make holes in or alter. the live pet/ auarium fish shipping coolers might also work. i lined mine with a HD construction bag cause it had a leak but it might be a good idea to do this anyway. for leak insurance and i think it may add insulation by trappiing air between bag and cooler. dont drill holes you just need two notches right at the top of the cooler. the lid will create the top of the "holes". one notch needs to be just slightly bigger than the tube OD to accomodate the pump wire alongside it. just like you want a decent volume in the FV to hold temp once its cold, i find that the less water in the cooler the better because you are trying to get that cold with ice exchange . so you want it to change quick not stay warm once it "sucks" the heat out of the FV.

1704463011868.png

i fully double wrap up my fermzilla in a wool blanket.

1704463125254.png

cooler ambient temps definately require less cooling of the FV. so still if you can do this in a colder area it will be easier . i can crash mine down to 42 degrees in a 68 degree room with 5 lbs of ice in less than an hour. dont use ice to keep it cool use frozen jugs as stated above. i can keep this at 50 degrees by changing one frozen 1 gallon water jugs evrynight before i go to sleep. they are right it can be a pita to change water jugs, and if you forget it will warm up. but this works with the little extra effort. i just brewed a pilsner in here fermented at 52 degrees for two weeks then tranfered to kegs for lagering in the kegerator. i have heard of others lagering in this system at 34 degrees but it would take 5 to 10 lbs of ice daily with drainage. which is not economical for most.

1704463694236.png

the insulated tubing is a good idea also. but that bucket wouldnt keep cold at all.

1704463777471.png

this looks much better / effective for you purposes.

aparently alot of people do this sort of thing, heres more pics. :
1704464335913.png

i think this is what you want to do:

1704466287934.png

that looks like its working . 😜

glycol chiller not needed. you can always start saving now for next black friday. lol

sorry for the long post good luck.

Attachments

• 1704464230714.png
    1704464230714.png
    8.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 1704466242606.png
    1704466242606.png
    215.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1704466254546.png
    1704466254546.png
    215.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Here's my setup w/ ss brewtech brew buckets fitted w/ their basic coils in the lid and fts controls. I brew @ ale temps that are easy in winter but more challenging in summer so keeping temperatures low requires more attention. Basically 3 ice packs (1 large, 2 small) changed out x2 daily allows me to maintain avg 64 degrees fermentation. I don't have the space for a larger chiller so it's a limitation.
20231226_080933.jpg

Here's my setup w/ ss brewtech brew buckets fitted w/ their basic coils in the lid and fts controls. I brew @ ale temps that are easy in winter but more challenging in summer so keeping temperatures low requires more attention. Basically 3 ice packs (1 large, 2 small) changed out x2 daily allows me to maintain avg 64 degrees fermentation. I don't have the space for a larger chiller so it's a limitation. View attachment 838347
your microbrewery is beautiful. 👏

Hi all. I have heard of some using a cooler filled with ice water in conjunction to with a pump to help regulate temperature during fermentation process. Does anyone here do something similar? If so, could you be willing to explain your set-up and/or post some pictures? Looking for some ideas.

I will be running a SS Brewtech Chronical 2.0 with FTS temp control system. My basic plan is to get a basic, run of the mill cooler, drill a couple holes in the lid for my water in/out tubing, fill the thing with water and ice, set my temp on the FTS and let it do it's thing.

Thanks!
I use a 5 gallon bucket of water in a small chest freezer as my “glycol” chiller.

I use a 5 gallon bucket of water in a small chest freezer as my “glycol” chiller.
can you post a pic of this . or describe it better. i have an extra small fridge and was thinking this could somehow be rigged up without a lot of wiring drilling etc. would this work in a fridge. like if i put a small amoutn of water in a small fridge and keep it really cold like 42, could i pump it out of there as my chiller instead of the styro cooler.

I have been controlling fermentation temps for years (10+) using a 10 gallon igloo cooler filled with 4 gallons of water and 5 x 2L pop bottles filled with water and frozen. I have ten bottles altogether, and while 5 are in the cooler, 5 are getting refrozen in my beer fridge. I can ferment at 50F in my 65F basement changing the frozen bottles out every 24 hrs.

I've used this with multiple different kinds of fermentors and fermentor cooling setups. Changing the ice can get old, but I can't bite the bullet for a glycol chiller, or dedicate the space to one. Definitely requires good insulation on your fermentor.

I think you'll struggle with a small fridge being able to cold crash- or bring down from post wort chilling to yeast pitch temperature. Might be ok to hold temperature once you get there, as long as you insulate your fermentor well.

I'll look for some pictures, but one of the pictures posted by @fluketamer is actually mine from a review I did online (the one with Anvil fermentor).

Last edited:
can you post a pic of this . or describe it better. i have an extra small fridge and was thinking this could somehow be rigged up without a lot of wiring drilling etc. would this work in a fridge. like if i put a small amoutn of water in a small fridge and keep it really cold like 42, could i pump it out of there as my chiller instead of the styro cooler.
I don't have a good picture. I put a 5-gallon bucket in a freezer and set the temp to 34F and use a pond pump to circulate to cold water to my fermenter. There is a temp controller on my fermenter that controls the pump. Now hold your accolades for the fine artistery here:

1704560467370.png
I only use this when I open ferment my Hefeweizen, but with the right fittings it should hook up to a cooling a cooling jacket or whatever.

My open fermenter. I use a refleticx "house" to insulate it.
1704560869044.png

I don't have a good picture. I put a 5-gallon bucket in a freezer and set the temp to 34F and use a pond pump to circulate to cold water to my fermenter. There is a temp controller on my fermenter that controls the pump. Now hold your accolades for the fine artistery here:

View attachment 838352I only use this when I open ferment my Hefeweizen, but with the right fittings it should hook up to a cooling a cooling jacket or whatever.

My open fermenter. I use a refleticx "house" to insulate it.
View attachment 838354
hey thanks a lot for this . i have already fashioned my chiller from a spare 1.5 cu ft fridge with a 1 gallon bucket of water in there with my pump. it cools great and this has been another game changer for me. no more changeing frozen jugs everynight.

do you have any problem with the water evaporating in the bucket? i think i will make a lid with holes in it for the tubing to decrease evaporation.

thanks again

hey thanks a lot for this . i have already fashioned my chiller from a spare 1.5 cu ft fridge with a 1 gallon bucket of water in there with my pump. it cools great and this has been another game changer for me. no more changeing frozen jugs everynight.

do you have any problem with the water evaporating in the bucket? i think i will make a lid with holes in it for the tubing to decrease evaporation.

thanks again
Not really, I only use it for two weeks at a time. Only issue, I'm using a freezer, is condensation because the lid is propped open. Lat time i draped a blanket over it and that helped.

So 1 gallon of water in a fridge probably set to max cold. What temperature are you able to maintain in fermentor at what ambient temperature?

Amy info on cooling from post wort chilling to yeast pitch temperature? That's where I was assuming a setup like this wouldn't cut it, but am very interested in being proven wrong...

i tested it in a 5 gallon bucket of water. it chills fine . i havent tried with wort yet. ill likely brew tomorow and find out if it works as good as the cooler full of water and an ice jug. i suspect it will because it chilled the water in hte bucket much lower than the previous set up with the cooler. i suspect the water in the fridge is around 34-36 degrees i havent checked it. the water in the cooler was usually around 40 degrees. i havent tried to cool chilled wort to pitching temps with it yet but if it doesnt work i can always just use a bucket of ice at first to cool it way down or when i neeed to cold crash it prior to bottling if the fridge cant hack it.

the ambient is 66 degrees im going to try to get 6 gal of wort down to 52 degrees and keep it there for 2-3 weeks . with my cooler before i was able to get it down to 52 in a 72 degree room so the fridge should have no problem now when the room is 66.
ill post results as soon as i brew / hopefully tmorow

Latest posts

Back