Hops won't drop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primetime

Reaction score
I dry hopped in my secondary with 2 oz of a few hops. After 3 weeks the hops will not drop off the top, every time I agiate the carboy they start to drop and float around, then when I come back an hour later they are right back on the top. I did put the carboy in a mini fridge to drop the temp, this did work. But I did not have time to bottle right away, so they raised back on the top again. The temp in my basement is about 65. Is this weird or normal? I've never had it happen this way before. All the hops usually drop down after a week or so.

Well when you rack to the beers next destination the hops will simply ride down the surface of the beer as the beer gets siphoned from the bottom. So there's really nothing to worry about. Sometimes they just don't sink.

What I do to insure they dont float is put them in a muslin bag with a few sanitized marbles. It always works.

I had that exact same problem when i was 12..oh wait we are talking hops. Yeah santaized marbles that what I used works great.

Back