not really new but I sort of am

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divechief

Reaction score
I was on this forum 10 years ago. 10 years ago, I was brewing 2 gallon all grain from my 700 sq ft apartment. I just started brewing again with all new equipment (Anvil 10.5 and blichmann cornical. First brew day was for a competition (crazy right), local brew store, everyone has to brew EXACTLY the exact same recipe. Mistakes were made, lessons were learned, next brew day (Probably Sunday) will be better. I didn't hit the numbers for this beer so I will not be completive, no surprise.

One of my biggest issues and my plan to rectify it, how does this sound? I am looking for zero oxygen after pitching yeast so I am using a hose from fermenter to serving keg and an airlock on the serving keg to fill with co2, then pressure transfer. I Magnet dropped the dry hops but when I tried to rack it to the serving keg the hop bag plugged up the racking arm. I ended up having to use the conical bottom dump valve into a pitcher and pour it into the serving keg. My plan for the next dry hopped beer is to tie a string through a credit card or something, size the string so it will hang down into the middle of the wort then tie the other end of the string to a hop bag held up by a magnet. When it is time to dry hop, pull the magnet holding up the hop bag and let the string suspend the bag in the middle of the wort. Does this make sense? any other suggestions, Thanks.

any other suggestions, Thanks.

Magnets, shmagnets. I'm not familiar with the available ports on your conical, but have you considered something like this?

757014-HKFO2oE.jpg

Mine is built from various parts, but I believe there are a few commercially available versions around now. I'd recommend avoiding the transparent sight glasses. They are nice for visibility, but a PITA to make air tight, with their fiddly threaded rods and cap nuts.

ETA: I'm aware that this is the beginners subforum, but the question is (IMO) more advanced.

ETAM: Regarding hops clogging the racking arm, the solution is patience. Let the hops settle, then rack from above the trub. MY IPAs don't clog the racking arm.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back