DDH Under Pressure In Fermzilla

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haze Crazed

Reaction score
One of my favorite NEIPA recipes calls for a double dry hop. Once fermentation is complete you soft crash to 55 then add your first charge of dry hops. At this time you’re supposed to apply 7-10psi. I have a Fermzilla so I’m able to do that. After 2 days your supposed to drop out what you can and add a second charge which includes the same amount as the first plus some lupomax.

Question is, when I have to drop my first charge am I letting out all the aroma I just put in with that first charge?

Reason being I have to depressurize my Fermzilla to take off the dreaded collection jar so I don’t paint my basement with hops and imperial juice. I understand the reasoning behind dry-hopping under pressure but is a double dry hop pointless if I’m just blowing all of it out of my PRV to add another charge?? Should I just double up my hops and add everything in one charge?

I simple method people use to address your concern is during the first charge position the hops of your second charge in a steeping bag held in place in the headspace of your fermenter by two magnets (one on inside and one on outside). Then when you want to add your second charge you simply remove the outside magnet and you don’t have to open up your fermenter.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/dry-hop-questions-using-magnets.727698/

Back