hop help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rico6115

Reaction score
i have a barleywine that calls for 3 oz. nugget(bittering) 2 oz Cascade(flavor) and 1oz contennial(dry). do i add the dry to the very end of the boil, to the primary fermenter, or secondary? thanks

I would not reccomend adding them to the primary while fermentation is happening. You are going to clog your air lock or blow off tube. Add them to the secondary. You can also let them sit in the seconday for a longer time since there is not a need to rack your beer off the yeast cake, as with the primary.

thanks, any of you get the magazine? it seems like a good read. would it be over the head for a beginner?

Dry hopping is adding hops to the wort after it is boiled and cooled. Some people dry hop in the primary but I wouldn't recommend it. Instead, add them to the beer in secondary. It's mostly a trial and error thing. Do it for three days in this batch. If you think it could stand a little more next time, do it for four an so on until you find the amount of time that works best for you. I wouldn't dry hop for more than five days though. Instead I would add 1/4 ounce more hops and hop for three days then four then five. Of course, this is your beer so you may find that a longer hop suits your tastes. It's all about making it your own.:mug:

Rico6115 said:
thanks, any of you get the magazine? it seems like a good read. would it be over the head for a beginner?

It's a great magazine and they have stuff that appeals to all skill levels. It's well worth it. You can probably find it at your LHBS.

Latest posts

Back