HELP with metabisulphite.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thexyboi21

Reaction score
I need help with adding metabisulphite to my must, I've been using campden tablets for a while now, but they are SOdium meta. and i wanted to start using the powdered potassium meta.,does anyone know how much i should be putting into the must? I only make ONE gal. batches.

I think mine is from Crosby & Baker, and it calls for 1/8 tsp per gallon to get you to 100 ppm SO2, so figure on 1/3 of that to get to 30ppm times whatever size you are doing

You need a good electronic scale to add such tiny amounts. Theres nothing wrong with using the camden tablets, the effect is the same.

You need a good electronic scale to add such tiny amounts. Theres nothing wrong with using the camden tablets, the effect is the same.

You could make a solution. If you need 1/24th of a tsp for some reason, you could dissolve 1/8 tsp in 3 oz of water and then add 1 oz of the solution to your must.

I need help with adding metabisulphite to my must, I've been using campden tablets for a while now, but they are SOdium meta. and i wanted to start using the powdered potassium meta.,does anyone know how much i should be putting into the must? I only make ONE gal. batches.

If you're making 1 gallon batches, I'd stick with the campden tablets. Campden is available in both soduim metabisulfite and postassium metabisulfite (read the ingredient list). It is much easier than trying to measure such small amounts and risking failure.

Back