Wine tastes salty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yair2782002g

Reaction score
I have a batch of mullberry wine got a rotten egg odor while fermenting, I splashed and racked the wine and added meta bisulfite, and my wine has much less rotten egg odor, but he has some kind of salty taste? It tastes like something very similar to salt has been added, I don't think its because of the meta bisulfite because I have another batch of the same thing but without rotten egg odor and it isnt salty at all

Someone has a clue? Also a few days ago I tasted a fairly cheap commercial wine ot had the same 'salt' taste

Any idea will be appreciated 😉

I had a huckleberry mead that tasted "salty" when young, I thought it was because of my use of DAP.

Two years in the bottle later, the salty taste is gone.

I don't know why.

meta bisulfite, and my wine has much less rotten egg odor, but he has some kind of salty taste? It tastes like something very similar to salt has been added,
Did you use potassium or sodium bisulfite? It shouldn't matter, but you might be sensitive to the amount of sodium in the wine. Barring that, do you get a similar salty flavor from wines that have "high minerality" like pinot grigio?

Edit: This link might be helpful What causes a salty taste in wine - homebrewing.org

How much K-meta and k-sulfate did you use? A lot of potassium can make it taste salty. It could also be due tothe pH and acidity levels.

Back