Help me finish my Kegerator!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eugenio

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all, sorry if this has been asked a zillion times, but I'm a tad overwhelmed with all the information.

So my wife agreed to let me start building my standup fridge kegerator IF I keep it cheap and I have some sparkling water. Finally! So my plan is to buy the stuff that I can use to expand later, so basically id rather buy quality rather than having to rebuy. This is what I have so far:

Co2-
Micromatic Regulator - http://www.micromatic.com/great-products-15-off/double-gauge-co2-primary-premium-series-642

5lb Tank - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085282UK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Kegs-
1 5G sanke for beer. Eventually want to have 3 sankes for beer
1 10G Ball keg - for Sparkling water

Now for the rest...just not sure what to get, anything you recommend for the following? Anything else I'm missing?

Gas lines - which ones? any type?

Beer lines - 10'? What brand would you recommend?

CO2 distributor - what kind of metal/ brand?

Picnic Faucet (Until I can setup the in door perlicks)?

Thank you in advance! First time kegging so not sure what I should get or am missing.

Last edited by a moderator:
- Fizzy water may require higher CO2 pressure than beer, I often read of folks using up to 30 psi to carb up water. You may be best served with a dual primary regulator. I recommend the Taprite T752HP.

- Don't buy a shiny new gas cylinder unless you have lined up a refill station at a reasonable price. Many if not most gas retailers have gone to an exchange model, which would leave you waving a sad good bye to your new tank as you lug home a steel beater.

- gas line is non critical, anything rated for gas will work. I prefer braided clear Tygon 3/16" ID as it's easy to work with even when chilled in my keezer.

- beer line can range from solid PVC through PET lined barrier tubing to anti-bacterial "silver" lined tubing. I use plain Bevlex 200 solid PVC, probably the most widely used and least expensive beer line sold. Some folks can detect a vinyl note if beer is left standing in PVC line over time and prefer barrier tubing. If you go with a PET lined tube like Bev Seal Ultra 235 you'll want to add an extra 50% to the length.

- I have a few gas distributors in use, all with shut-off valves with integrated checks. They all use the same aluminum beam design. Never have any problem with them. Widely available, shop by price.

- picnic faucets seem generic - I don't think there's a stand-out "brand" to favor, go with whatever you can find...

Cheers!

Great, thanks for the info! Do you have a place where you'd recommend looking for the lines and the aluminum manifold?

Aluminum beam gas manifolds are fairly generic, so shop on price, and make sure the shut-off valves have integrated check valves.
I bought a couple of 4-way and a 6-way manifold from chicompany.net and ritebrew.com.

For the tubing, I bought a roll of Bevlex 200 from my lhbs, but you can find that stuff everywhere.
More exotic tubing you'll need to hunt for...

Cheers!

Thank you for the help. This is how my setup is looking. Now I'm missing the sanke components for the beer, and to organize the gas lines and build a shelf for the kegs.

li9cA

Back