1/4" beer line with oxebar keg in regular fridge - Length/foam issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we're at a point where the gauge is reading the keg pressure, you could consider pulling the PRV to completely vent off the pressure in the headspace. Gauge should of course drop to 0. Then give it the time while you're gone for a few days to build it back up (as it comes out of the beer) and see what you end up with. If it's like... 9.5psi or something slightly less then current, I think it's safe at that point to say it's truly where you are at. Time to hook it back up to gas (keeping about 10 or whatever) and see if it "works". If not then at least for troubleshooting, overcarbed can finally be ruled out.

Hopefully it works!!!

So I recently got myself a 4L oxebar keg as it is the only keg size I can fit in my apartment fridge. With it I got 12m of 1/4" (6.3mm) ID gas/beer line with duotight fittings for that size.

I just tried pouring my first half glass and it is pretty much all foam, of course logically, as I have not really considered the beer line length..

Looking at calculators online they tell me with my ID and the fact that I pretty much have no vertical height difference keg -> tap (picnik tap) I would be looking at almost 8-10m for my beers served at 10psi... That is quite a lot of tubing to fit into a small fridge. Any suggestions on how to solve this without swapping the beer line for a smaller ID? I can get some height difference I guess by keeping the tap higher up while serving, but having bought the line and the connects on aliexpress, I would rather use of the 12m I have than buy new connnects and lines...
As others have said here a smaller beer line. 6 ft of 3/16 line should take care of the problem. The line needs the resistance for the flow to keep from foaming too much.

he picnic tap 2.1 QD is not compatible with anything besides a picnic tap AFAIK
I don't follow here, what do you mean? picnik tap only compatible with picnik tap?

You also didn't say if you were holding the PRV open until no more gas escaped or just pulling it for a second or two.
It dropped all the way to zero when pulling the PRV until nothing more came out (PRV on keg). It really did not require a lengthy pull.

If we're at a point where the gauge is reading the keg pressure, you could consider pulling the PRV to completely vent off the pressure in the headspace. Gauge should of course drop to 0. Then give it the time while you're gone for a few days to build it back up (as it comes out of the beer) and see what you end up with. If it's like... 9.5psi or something slightly less then current, I think it's safe at that point to say it's truly where you are at. Time to hook it back up to gas (keeping about 10 or whatever) and see if it "works". If not then at least for troubleshooting, overcarbed can finally be ruled out.

Hopefully it works!!!
Yes I will do this! I will pull the PRV on the keg and make sure the gauge drops to zero. I will then leave it and see if it goes up while I am away. If it stays at zero I guess that indicates that there is a check valve in place?

I run very similar PET kegs to the systme you are using.

i have been sodastream kegging for a few years now.

you definately dont need all that line.
as others have said you cant partially open a picnic tap or most taps and expect to improve your pour . most taps are made to be fully opened when pouring. restriction at the tap by partially opening it will definately force the co2 out of your carbed beer. and increase foam much like a stout taps restriction plate.

some dont like the picnic tap 2.1 but it immediatley solved a lot fo foaming problems for me. also serve at lower pressures i serve beer low like 4-5 after its properly carbed. its slow but leads to great pours imo. i also drin out of smaller glasses which is fine if the pour is slow. the nice thing about the 2.1 is i have got good pours at pressures like 12- 15 psi and still no foam. i havent had leak issues like some. my perlick works fine with 9 feet of coild 4mm id eva i hate that it stiff whene very cold but it def gives good pours,

i alos have used a picnic tap on short wide cheap beer line. you can get that to work but its super sensitive. i find 2.5 vol lagers at 34 degrees can pour out of cheap short line without foam but any change in pressure or temp will start to mess with it. my other lines are much more forgiving.

my two cents

1711288040304.png

1711288488766.png

1711288058318.png

I don't follow here, what do you mean? picnik tap only compatible with picnik tap?
Yes. You can take the QD off of a picnic tap but that QD is modified to accept the picnic tap flow control device and faucet and won't seal properly if you try to attach it to anything else (at least not without modifying it to undo the modifications made by the picnic tap manufacturer).
1711292145078.jpeg
Standard QD on top, disassembled picnic tap on bottom. The standard QD has an integrated flare washer that seals when attached to a swivel nut. The red washer in the picnic tap won't do that, and a swivel nut won't fit onto that QD unless you remove the spiral flow control device. I suppose you could do that and replace the red washer with a flare washer, but why? It still might not work due to thread length.

some dont like the picnic tap 2.1 but it immediatley solved a lot fo foaming problems for me. also serve at lower pressures i serve beer low like 4-5 after its properly carbed. its slow but leads to great pours imo. i also drin out of smaller glasses which is fine if the pour is slow. the nice thing about the 2.1 is i have got good pours at pressures like 12- 15 psi and still no foam. i havent had leak issues like some. my perlick works fine with 9 feet of coild 4mm id eva i hate that it stiff whene very cold but it def gives good pours,
Thanks a ton for the tip! Your setup does look quite similar too mine, though mine is obviously not in a dedicated fridge and I am more limited to space. But the tips about IDs and picnik taps are golden, thanks!

Yes. You can take the QD off of a picnic tap but that QD is modified to accept the picnic tap flow control device and faucet and won't seal properly if you try to attach it to anything else (at least not without modifying it to undo the modifications made by the picnic tap manufacturer).
Ah I see, I did not realise that there was a specific QD for the picnik tap itself. My biggest concern was the bottom most part, the actual QD connector, would that fit on a Duotight QD? I suppose it would, QD as QD? The ball lock I mean...

On a general note, sorry about being a bit offline from the discussion. I was away on holiday. When I came back home I saw my regulator gauge was sitting at 0 psi meaning that either no additional pressure had been released from the beer in 4-5 days OR the gauge does have a check valve and won't actually show the current pressure in the keg at all, but it will show "what was last output from the tank"? I am again away for a few days atm, though I will be back home tomorrow evening. I did not try the PRV to check if there was actual gas in the keg at all, but at least it seems like the regulator does not indicate the keg pressure.

You order the picnic tap 2.1 with either a 90 degree duotight QD (I believe it's the 9.5mm) or a 45 degree modified flare QD. (The modification removes the flare business end, so only good for the picnic tap 2.1.)

Last edited:
My biggest concern was the bottom most part, the actual QD connector, would that fit on a Duotight QD?
The thing that you are calling a "Duotight QD" here is actually the liquid out post on your Oxebar keg tapping head. Those plastic posts that thread onto the tapping head are also known as carbonation caps.

1711931204010.png
The QD is the part that is attached to the tubing or directly to the tap and snaps onto that post, which will accept either a 90 degree Duotight QD or the 45 degree flare QD.

Okay another small overdue update.

I think my biggest issue is probably that it was overcarbonated. As mentioned, the gauge was at 0 when closing the gas and everything for a week, and did not move. A few days ago I pulled the PRV on the keg and a lot of gas came out, so it was definately not actually at 0. I then put it back to 10psi and instantly tried serving some. This time with the same tubing and the shortest patch I had. Sure it foamed some but not too bad, I mean worse than I want it to but better than before. The beer was quite flat though but could be due to overfoaming and also beeing of gas for a week. I left it at 10 now and will let it sit.

I think I will get myself either a picnic 2.1 and mount it right on the keg itself OR 1m 8x4mm eva + duotight ball lock flow control + appropriate connector for my existing tap.

Which one would you guys pick? "
The mother of all taps" or the combo of Kegland connectors and flow control with the "original" picnic tap?

fwiw i like my picnic 2.1 better than my duotight ball lock flow control. that thing is a PIA.

fwiw i like my picnic 2.1 better than my duotight ball lock flow control. that thing is a PIA.
Thanks for the input! Could you ellaborate on why the duotight is a PIA? Also, did you get the one after the other (as replacement) or do you have different setups, for example if you need a beer line from one keg, I guess the duotight would be the only option almost?

the flow control sticks sometimes when its open all the way sometimes when its closed. the tolerances are too tight and it gets hard to take on and off. even the tubing has trouble goingin and out of the duotight connection. i dont really feel its giving me flow control. i do find however that once its set right tis ok as long as you dont mess with it. i feel if i switched it out for a regular one without flow control it wouldnt make much differnece.

i got the picnic tap 2.1 after i got the other cause i found it was not giving me the pours i wanted. i know others have had issures. with pinic 2.1 but i have not.. if money is no object it soundlike the nukatap mini would also be good. but that again relies on a duotight flow control ball lock.

btw i just got my 4 liter oxebars and love them

I'd go more beer line than less.
Not a big fan of my flow control ball lock don't think it does the job.
Slow foamy beer in the end is the same as fast foamy beer.

I'd go more beer line than less.
Not a big fan of my flow control ball lock don't think it does the job.
Slow foamy beer in the end is the same as fast foamy beer.
Hmm okay. I am not against beer line, it is just I can't really fit too much of it in our household apt fridge. It is cramped as it is just getting the keg and sodastream gas in there :/
the flow control sticks sometimes when its open all the way sometimes when its closed. the tolerances are too tight and it gets hard to take on and off. even the tubing has trouble goingin and out of the duotight connection. i dont really feel its giving me flow control. i do find however that once its set right tis ok as long as you dont mess with it. i feel if i switched it out for a regular one without flow control it wouldnt make much differnece.

i got the picnic tap 2.1 after i got the other cause i found it was not giving me the pours i wanted. i know others have had issures. with pinic 2.1 but i have not.. if money is no object it soundlike the nukatap mini would also be good. but that again relies on a duotight flow control ball lock.

btw i just got my 4 liter oxebars and love them
Thanks! Yea I am planning to ge another as soon as they drop in local stores :) And ofc got this flow control issue sorted... Might go for a picnic tap 2.1 then it seems... Only downside is the missing beerline which would be nice as I really am crampped for space in our household apartment fridge.. :p

Hmm. If the gauge still read 0 then for some reason it probably wasn't reading. It should have gone up since there was pressure in the keg. You might still look into this and see what it takes to actually read the keg's pressure. At this point in time it's probably still useful information.

I did not like the Picnic Tap 2.1. I sold my first one, kept reading about them, and bought another. Also conversed with the founder a few times. Great guy and company but the product didn't do it. I tried various sizes of the spiral gizmo inside, lengths and if it was more the longer or short spirals, what direction they were in, and so on. Always refrigerated and all the other things cited for success. I came to the conclusion that it just didn't work for all beer but it did indeed work for some. Imperial stout (heavy body) - worked great. Mexican lager or ESB (fermented drier, and light body) = foamy.

I got a Nukatap flow control from Williams, and liked it enough to get 2 more. It can be a slow pour when dialed back, but it can be dialed back to prevent the foam. I like the instant adjustability. That it's all metal and can be fitted with a spring to ensure the tap kicks itself back to prevent leaks is nice too. I mounted them straight to the keg posts which is nice, I now have a ton of EVA Barrier line I'll probably never use. I won't knock the Picnic Tap 2.1 but I no longer use it.

Here's a Brut IPA I just finished. Poured with the Picnic Tap 2.1 that @tracer bullet sold me.

1712272749549.jpeg

OK, so maybe that's a little too foamy for some, but this is basically the worst case scenario for the 2.1 - FG 0.997, carbed to 2.8 volumes and served at 15 PSI (which is the top of the recommended range).

So I'm pretty happy with them (I'm also pretty happy with my Nukatap mini with flow control QD), but like I said way upthread, different people have had different experiences so there's no guarantee that it will work for the OP. Anyway, I'll probably be using these less going forward, because I finally broke down and ordered a real kegerator today. And I'm almost finished rehabilitating the old jockey box that I picked up for cheap on Craigslist a while back. So I won't really need them anymore, either at home or on the road.

Sorry for the hijack.

get the picnic tap 2.1 then you dont need any beer lines. you can put it anywhere . kitchen fridge kegging is a game changer i dont know why more people dont do it.

its the easiest cheapest smallest footprint entry into kegging.

get the picnic tap 2.1 then you dont need any beer lines. you can put it anywhere . kitchen fridge kegging is a game changer i dont know why more people dont do it.

its the easiest cheapest smallest footprint entry into kegging.
Link to example setup? I'm curious what the ideal CO2 situation is. 5lbs tank seems big for kitchen fridge.

edit: forum suggested this
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/possible-pet-oxebar-setup.731792/
So soda stream? I'm not familiar.
Is it 1lb or something?

Last edited:

this can be put in a 3 cu ft dorm fridge that you can hide under any cabinet, table, or sink ( dont ask me how i know) . then once its in the house its more likely to stay . 😜

1712280328220.png

You might still look into this and see what it takes to actually read the keg's pressure
Yea it does seem like the mini core 360 may have a check valve built in... Either that or it is massively undershooting for me.. Should I get a manometer to put on, for example, the beer out post in order to get another reading? Looking into them rn but of course either the ball lock fitting or the adapter (needed for the threaded ball locks) are out of stock...

The video and pictures are quite close to my setup tbh. And yea tell me about a close fit... Had to move some shelves around and with the regulator sitting on top of the soda stream bottle, the damn thing wont fit any other way than diagonally....
1712329366430.png

I should probably reduce the gas line quite a lot as it is unnecessarily long. But from here you can see why I would prefer having just a bit of beer line at least... But I think the picnic 2.1 would fit in there yet... With some balancing of the top shelf :D

At this point in time it's probably still useful information.
A money saver idea: Could I get a spunding valve with e built in manometer? Then I could use it for spunding in the future. Would that do the trick if I set the pressure to max when connected to the keg, should it not then read the pressure without letting any pressure out? This way I don't need to buy a separate spunding valve in the future.

A money saver idea: Could I get a spunding valve with e built in manometer? Then I could use it for spunding in the future. Would that do the trick if I set the pressure to max when connected to the keg, should it not then read the pressure without letting any pressure out? This way I don't need to buy a separate spunding valve in the future.
It should work, yes. You'd be connected to the keg's gas post, the poppets would be depressed to give a path to the gauge, and it should read the keg pressure. Just past that is where you'd set the max pressure.

For your frig I wonder about letting the keg take the left side and food take the right side. Maybe you could find or create some small shelves that were narrow but tall? Yet still small enough to fit of course. Or give up and get a 2nd frig :)

It should work, yes. You'd be connected to the keg's gas post, the poppets would be depressed to give a path to the gauge, and it should read the keg pressure. Just past that is where you'd set the max pressure.

For your frig I wonder about letting the keg take the left side and food take the right side. Maybe you could find or create some small shelves that were narrow but tall? Yet still small enough to fit of course. Or give up and get a 2nd frig :)
Thanks for the info, I may just get a spunding valve then for the "second reading". Though a bit sad that I could not have it connected at the same time as the regulator, but I guess for a quick check every now and then it is not too bad.

Regarding the fridge: We live in a 64 square meter apartment (690 square feet) and we already feel crowded. Don't think a second fridge would be possible in any way in the current apartment but definately in the future when we get out of here :)
It would be cool to figure out some modifications to the shelving system yes, but getting it through with "the boss" is another thing :p As we don't own the place, any permanent modifications are not possible either of course.

Earlier I had the keg laying on its side in the "vegetable drawer" at the bottom which probably was spacewise a bit better but I started getting beer into the gasline as beer was all the way to the top and getting in with the gas...

Yea it does seem like the mini core 360 may have a check valve built in... Either that or it is massively undershooting for me.. Should I get a manometer to put on, for example, the beer out post in order to get another reading? Looking into them rn but of course either the ball lock fitting or the adapter (needed for the threaded ball locks) are out of stock...

The video and pictures are quite close to my setup tbh. And yea tell me about a close fit... Had to move some shelves around and with the regulator sitting on top of the soda stream bottle, the damn thing wont fit any other way than diagonally....
View attachment 845760
I should probably reduce the gas line quite a lot as it is unnecessarily long. But from here you can see why I would prefer having just a bit of beer line at least... But I think the picnic 2.1 would fit in there yet... With some balancing of the top shelf :D
love it !

the soda stream on its side wont matter and hey who cares , you got kegged beer - nice!

heres your valve i use it to check my kegs all the time:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/b...pIKXjLS3J1cEOIe_D9Ol3w3PFhIEEX2hoCDXkQAvD_BwE

you can also put one together yourself for a little cheaper there are a lot of configurations.

dont side keg. i know kelgand morebeer and cankeg say you can but i have never had good luck with lying any kegs on there side.
even with weighted flexible dip tube i have had serving problems.

I've got a couple of those. Even put one of the digital gauges on one of them (be careful about that though - there are two types and I think the one that's linked to on that page is wrong). The only thing I can say about accuracy/precision is that when I prime in a keg and wait a couple of weeks the pressure stabilizes at a value pretty close to what the online calculators say it should be.

Last edited:
That is actually exactly the one that I have been looking into!

So I am leaning a bit towards one of those + picnic 2.1... That could be my next step

Back