Kegerator advice? Each one seems to have negatives.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marx2k

Reaction score
Howdy. I'm pretty new to brewing. However, id like to get two SS ball lock corny kegs. With that, I've been researching kegerators. I'm in the market for a two tap unit. I've been doing some research on decent offerings. The two I'm looking at are the kegco k309 and the Komos.

The Kegco k309 seems to be highly recommended but then I read the reviews and there's tons of negative reviews talking about cheap parts, faulty parts, poor design, single co2 line inlet, etc. So big turn off.

The komos looks promising but they're also currently out of the ball lock connection kit so I'm waiting on their customer service to let me know when that will be back in stock.

I need something standalone, indoors. Space is limited so the dimensions on those seem right though I also read the komos needs 4" of clearance on each side due to heat dissipation.

But komos seems to be in the lead here.

Does anyone have experience or alt suggestions/brands/models? Both offerings are about 1000 shipped.

I would first ask as a homebrewer, do you need the polished, indoor nice look? In the end, these things are just small fridges with some kegging parts. i.e. they are expensive. Fine if you do want it to look nice but if budget is in the mix, there are many ways to go about keeping your beer cold and serving it.

Last edited:
I have a Kegland Series X with four taps, which I think is very similar to the Komos. It's worked perfectly and trouble-free for 2.5 years. But that's just my experience.

If you are new to brewing/kegging, I would also consider just monitoring craigslist and Fb marketplace. I routinely see used kegerators and keezers on there. It may be good to go with a cheaper "starter" option for now, and you may realize in 6-12 months you actuallg want something different than a two tap kegerator.

I have a KegCo 3-tapper that has been going strong for almost 10 years. The Komos would have probably done the same if I went that route. No matter what brand/model you look at or get, there will be points of contention.

If I had to do it again, I would have no reservations about getting a KegCo.

I would first ask as a homebrewer, do you need to polished, indoor nice look? In the end, these things are just small fridges with some kegging parts. i.e. they are expensive. Fine if you do want it to look nice but if budget is in the mix, there are many ways to go about keeping your beer cold and serving it.

While I'm not trying to win contest or score dates with it, I would ideally want it to look like it belongs among other things either in the basement or near the kitchen/dining room. I was considering putting together a unit from a minifridge but with the amount of other hobbies going on and my job, I'm not sure I'd have the time to get into it ;)

I have a KegCo 3-tapper that has been going strong for almost 10 years. The Komos would have probably done the same if I went that route. No matter what brand/model you look at or get, there will be points of contention.

If I had to do it again, I would have no reservations about getting a KegCo.
The KegCo unit I was originally looking at, the K309, seems to be sort of meh. Based on reviews around iffy parts it comes with, the single airline in for multiple kegs and the thermostat not working that great. I wonder if Kegco was doing some cost cutting measures over time and brought out the K309.

I was able to find KegCo's HBK163B-2 ( 24" Wide Homebrew Dual Tap Black Commercial/Residential Kegerator ) which seems to be a step up from the K309 for about the same price. I haven't seen many reviews for it, but the reviews that are available seem to be pleased with it.

I'd like to hear others' take on it.

What I like is that it does come with the forced tower cooler, a dual input air line and a multi-port regulator.

What I'm unsure of is whether the taps can later be switched out to nukka or intertaps. I'd probably want to also change the regulator to allow individual pressures per keg instead of the same pressure for both kegs.

I have a Kegland Series X with four taps, which I think is very similar to the Komos. It's worked perfectly and trouble-free for 2.5 years. But that's just my experience.

If you are new to brewing/kegging, I would also consider just monitoring craigslist and Fb marketplace. I routinely see used kegerators and keezers on there. It may be good to go with a cheaper "starter" option for now, and you may realize in 6-12 months you actuallg want something different than a two tap kegerator.
I have been monitoring Craigslist (don't have a FB acct) as well as ebay and nextdoor. I haven't really seen much I'd jump at. Someone is selling a True TDD 3 tap ( https://www.amazon.com/True-TDD-1-Single-Direct-Dispensers/dp/B00M8YASYE ) for $450 but the dimensions are a bit off for me and the spec sheet ( https://www.truemfg.com/wp-content/uploads/true-media/spec-sheets/TDD-1-HC.pdf ) shows it at 210lbs which... not sure how I'd get it in my house

Also, seems to be quite rusted on the inside

:)

The KegCo unit I was originally looking at, the K309, seems to be sort of meh. Based on reviews around iffy parts it comes with, the single airline in for multiple kegs and the thermostat not working that great. I wonder if Kegco was doing some cost cutting measures over time and brought out the K309.

I was able to find KegCo's HBK163B-2 ( 24" Wide Homebrew Dual Tap Black Commercial/Residential Kegerator ) which seems to be a step up from the K309 for about the same price. I haven't seen many reviews for it, but the reviews that are available seem to be pleased with it.

I'd like to hear others' take on it.

What I like is that it does come with the forced tower cooler, a dual input air line and a multi-port regulator.

What I'm unsure of is whether the taps can later be switched out to nukka or intertaps. I'd probably want to also change the regulator to allow individual pressures per keg instead of the same pressure for both kegs.
Not sure where you're finding all the 'meh' reviews, but the reviews on HomeDepot, BeverageFactory, & FoodandWine are all stellar. Not sure what you mean by 'iffy' parts either. In a previous life I was an appliance repair tech and this fridge is on par with what is expected from from this line-up. Nothing cheap about it. If you favor the 163 over the 309 for its features, that's fine. Just know that they are basically the same fridge that use the same "cheap" and "faulty" parts.

I think he means the beer dispensing parts.
Oh, yeah. Mighta misread that part. Those are gonna be trash. A lot any commercially available kegerators are going to come with rear-sealing faucets, short liquid lines, crimp clamps, and poorly insulated towers. Don't throw these away yet. You need something to pour beer until your Perlick and Intertap faucets and new lines get shipped to you.

I think he means the beer dispensing parts.
I do
Not sure where you're finding all the 'meh' reviews, but the reviews on HomeDepot, BeverageFactory, & FoodandWine are all stellar. Not sure what you mean by 'iffy' parts either. In a previous life I was an appliance repair tech and this fridge is on par with what is expected from from this line-up. Nothing cheap about it. If you favor the 163 over the 309 for its features, that's fine. Just know that they are basically the same fridge that use the same "cheap" and "faulty" parts.

When taking a look at the lower rated amazon reviews, a pattern emerges regarding the dispenser tower/tower cylinder. It seems to be a cheaply made aluminum structure which seems to have a habit of leaking. A leak issue also comes up with the pressure regulator and coupler.

The thermostat also seems to give people issues. People seem to set it to a temperature and when checking actual temperature later on, it's warmer than what the unit is set to (32F vs 40F)

Admittedly, the majority of reviews are positive, but for those that are not, it seems people have to end up buying replacement parts for the unit to make it workable.

btw, took a look at the Series X and I gotta say it's kinda hitting all the right spots. Still waiting on a response from Komos...

edit: Regarding the series x @ Williams Brewing I specced out:

KegLand Series X Kegerator $749.99
Double faucet Nukkatap flow control: $99.99
KegLand Duotight 8mm Gas Ball Lock: (x2): $6.99
KegLand Duotight 8mm BeerBall Lock: (x2): $6.99
Ball Lock Beer Line Cleaning Kit: $29.99

$1007 w/ free shipping @ Williams Brewing. Not bad!

Last edited:
single airline
This probably should not be high on the list; I don't know if any kegerators include multiple holes for gas lines. You may want to plan to add either a manifold/splitter or a two-body secondary regulator inside the fridge.

Regarding the stock faucets and shanks being basic or lower quality: you may also consider upgrading these at some point.

No matter what brand/model you look at or get, there will be points of contention.
Yeah, gonna comment similarly. With such widespread exposure on the Internet, one can find digs or an example of a dud on darn near everything. Just have wade through it all as best possible.

This probably should not be high on the list; I don't know if any kegerators include multiple holes for gas lines. You may want to plan to add either a manifold/splitter or a two-body secondary regulator inside the fridge.

Regarding the stock faucets and shanks being basic or lower quality: you may also consider upgrading these at some point.
Some of the kegerators I've been looking at do have multiple air lines going in. For example, the Kegland Series X, the Komos as well as the KegCo HBK163B-2. To be fair, I also don't know how often you would want two kegs at different pressures. I was thinking having one pressurizing post-ferment and one at serving pressure?

As far as the faucets/shanks, I'm just trying to compare models at a given price point. So for example, the Series X and Komos do seem to come with a more premium selection of taps. Not a ding against KegCo, but just something I noticed.

Yeah, gonna comment similarly. With such widespread exposure on the Internet, one can find digs or an example of a dud on darn near everything. Just have wade through it all as best possible.
Yeah no doubt. My main interest here is finding a pattern of complaints from people on a given model. For sure with enough reviews you're gonna get a bunch of randos giving 1 star because their delivery was late or they had a one-off dud.

Though I have a technical design issue with it (condenser coils in the side walls instead of a brick alongside the compressor), I love it and have no regrets. My dealer included the stainless steel shanks and taps as standard, rather than the low-end plated chrome... The Williams site doesn't seem to state which ones you're getting here. I'm annoyed that the Mark IV regulator doesn't have a shutoff valve, but I've got a Taprite to replace it and eventually will install a set of secondary regulators when I can afford it. It should include enough EVABarrier and Doutight fittings for you to set it up without having to buy extras, and with the length of line I got with mine, there is no need for Flow Control.... I just have the standard SS Nukataps (and my Perlick) and have never had a foaming problem. As long as the fittings included are SS, the series-x is likely the best one-click option.
I would suggest though, that you consider going with the 4-tap tower from the start...you may decide later you'd like to tap one of those other 2 kegs sitting in there and the upgrade cost would be higher by then.
If you do buy a series-x, here's a couple suggestions:
A few years back some owners had issues with the compressor cycling too often leading to early failure. It turned out that they had set the display (and temp control) to °Fahrenheit which has more incremental steps than °Celcius, and simply leaving it set to °C solved it...So I've left mine in °C.
The tower can use just a bit more insulation... I cut out some and fit it around the shanks and the lid and it made a noticable difference to run times in the summer.
Best of luck in your choices!
:mug:

Though I have a technical design issue with it (condenser coils in the side walls instead of a brick alongside the compressor), I love it and have no regrets. My dealer included the stainless steel shanks and taps as standard, rather than the low-end plated chrome... The Williams site doesn't seem to state which ones you're getting here. I'm annoyed that the Mark IV regulator doesn't have a shutoff valve, but I've got a Taprite to replace it and eventually will install a set of secondary regulators when I can afford it. It should include enough EVABarrier and Doutight fittings for you to set it up without having to buy extras, and with the length of line I got with mine, there is no need for Flow Control.... I just have the standard SS Nukataps (and my Perlick) and have never had a foaming problem. As long as the fittings included are SS, the series-x is likely the best one-click option.
I would suggest though, that you consider going with the 4-tap tower from the start...you may decide later you'd like to tap one of those other 2 kegs sitting in there and the upgrade cost would be higher by then.
If you do buy a series-x, here's a couple suggestions:
A few years back some owners had issues with the compressor cycling too often leading to early failure. It turned out that they had set the display (and temp control) to °Fahrenheit which has more incremental steps than °Celcius, and simply leaving it set to °C solved it...So I've left mine in °C.
The tower can use just a bit more insulation... I cut out some and fit it around the shanks and the lid and it made a noticable difference to run times in the summer.
Best of luck in your choices!
:mug:
Looking through the Q&A, it sounds like the shanks/taps are stainless. I actually didn't notice that the shutoff valve wasn't there. I guess this is available: Shut Off Valve W/Check And Flare - but yeah, at $10 ea. it would have been nice if that were included.

That's interesting about the F vs C. Whatever works and if I do get this thing, I'll def try that out ;)

I did also read about the sweaty tower. The Q&A did mention putting some after-market insulation in there as you did. An easy fix. I was thinking pool noodle

Alright. Ended up going with Williams Brewing, getting the Kegland Series X w/ Dual tap tower.I got the Mark IV regulator and added the separate shut off valves.

Thanks for the help and opinions, everyone! So excited to get kegging!

Last edited:
I got mine from Williams with free shipping as well, and, again just my experience, it arrived in great shape.

Kegland has a full youtube video for the setup guide. ( ).

I would suggest ordering a line cutter tool to make things go faster and get clean cuts for the duotight connectors. (They are a few bucks - https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Hom...em/DuoTight-8mm-System/Duotight-Tubing-Cutter ).

And lastly, I took the tower cap and pressed it onto some the packing foam and twisted to cut out a fitted insulation insert for the top of the tower.

I have to admit I did not read all the posts, but will chime in with my two cents worth, and believe me, that is about all it is worth. I second the idea of checking Craiglist. I got a used mini fridge with the lines, tap a makeshift tower made from steel pipe for less than 50 bucks from a guy who was leaving the state and did not want to take it with him. Is it shiny and pretty? No, but I put a bunch of stickers and stuff on it so it looks kinda cool. It is in the kitchen on the other side of the half wall, so not many see it. Do I care? Nope. It works great. Now, with that said, my wife has been super supportive of this and is happy I have a hobby. I am sure she wishes it was not alcohol involved, but a hobby none the less LOL. I don't know much about either of the units you are talking about, but if you look used you might see that somebody is getting out of the hobby or has a wife that is not quite as understanding as the ones we have, LOL. I am going to move into the keezer realm I think, but lifting 5 gallon filled kegs might get a bit rough, and have looked at Craigslist to find that used chest freezers can be had for less than 150 bucks. You can get taps for 25 to 30 bucks I think online and most of the other stuff included will still keep you well under the 1K plus that you are looking at for by buying the fancy new stuff. And, in my opinion, the used stuff works just as well. At least for a while until you figure out if you still want to stay with it. As a new brewer, my mindset was to start out small and build up if I really enjoyed it. So far that has worked out for me.

Again, just my two cents worth, and that is about all it is worth. Good luck.

Oh, yeah. Mighta misread that part. Those are gonna be trash. A lot any commercially available kegerators are going to come with rear-sealing faucets, short liquid lines, crimp clamps, and poorly insulated towers. Don't throw these away yet. You need something to pour beer until your Perlick and Intertap faucets and new lines get shipped to you.
When I ordered mine they gave me the option to upgrade the taps to Perlick and also to drop the sankey coupler which I didn’t need. I got mine from Kegerator.com.

One of the things to look at is how many corny kegs the model you are considering will hold. I thought it was nice that my 2 tap kegerator held 3 kegs so I could use the extra space to lager something.

Then I wound up buying a tapless kegerator from Lowes to use as a fermentation chamber. I later realized that will hold 2 cornies. So I switched the 2 tap tower from the first kegerator to that one and bought a 3 tap perlick tower to put back on the first one. Now I can have 3 on tap while fermenting a lager in the chamber or I have the capacity to put 5 cornies on tap.

Next you’ll want custom tap handles.

Many of us started out with a converted refigerator. You get an old refrigerator that somebody is getting rid of. Drill a couple holes in the side and put taps in it. Add your quick disconnects and tubing.

The other thing that always comes up is co2 tank inside or outside

Alright. Ended up going with Williams Brewing, getting the Kegland Series X w/ Dual tap tower.I got the Mark IV regulator and added the separate shut off valves.

Thanks for the help and opinions, everyone! So excited to get kegging!

I have the Komos which is essentially More Beer's version of the Series X. They're the same fridge, just different name. I had three converted chest freezers (keezers) before, but I love the smaller footprint of the Komos.

............And lastly, I took the tower cap and pressed it onto some the packing foam and twisted to cut out a fitted insulation insert for the top of the tower.

I did this also with mine. Seems to help. I'm debating on switching the tower out with a spare 4 tap T tower. I think I prefer the taps being on a straight line vs on an arc.

Latest posts

Back