grain storage containers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JosephN

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions for grain storage containers. I'm looking for a few that hold 20-30# for base grain, some that hold up to 5# for commonly used specialty grain, and up to 2# for extra special grains. I'm sure I'll be able to find some for the smallest grains. I also "prefer" translucent or clear containers, unless there is an issue with a little sun light hitting the grain.

Please bring on the suggestions and web links are always helpful. Thanks in advance.

Vittle vaults and 5 gallon buckets with gamma libs are what I use. I have two vittle vaults that hold my base grain , a bag each. My specialty malts are in bags in 5 gallon buckets. They hold around 25#.

The Homer buckets may be OK, but aren't food grade. Lowe's carries white food grade 5 gal buckets for a few dollars more. Use these with the Gamma lids from HD. If you want translucent, which I wouldn't really recommend for bulk grains, search for 'Iris' bins like these, which often go on sale and are regularly available from Amazon. Vittles vaults are excellent and also use the Gamma seal lids, but also aren't transparent.

I use these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EOUUETY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
holds a 50 pound sack of grain. It was on sale for $13.88 when I got mine, so you might want to watch for another sale.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017JE6B2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
holds 10 pounds plus

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017JC2WC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
holds 5 pounds plus. I see they are an add-on item now, but it wasn't one when I bought mine so you might want to watch that one as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure storage buckets are helpful, but I store my bulk grain in the sacks they some in, stacked in a dry part of my basement. My basement is bone dry and cool.

I store specially grain in zip lock bags in a large tote.

Been doing this for years, storing grain up to a year with no bugs and no ill effect.

I keep planning on getting separate totes or bins, but the simple use of the original bags has worked this far and I see no sense spending the money on bins.

No doubt they won't hurt, but if you have a dry cool place you may not need them.

I bought a plastic 55 gallon drum with a removable lid and seal off craigslist for $20. It holds 300 pounds of grain stored in their original sacks. Pulling all the sacks out to find the proper one is a bit of a pain, but not terrible.

Much cheaper than almost any other solution.

Chris

Walmart translucent plastic bins 6$ they hold a 55# bag of grain. Just bought 6.

The Wal Mart food grade 5 gallon buckets were on sale last week for about $2.58 a piece. Not sure if they still are. They were the ones that say food grade on the label. The homer buckets aren't actually food grade and can leach chemicals into what's stored inside. It isn't something you're going to "notice" they're just not food grade.

I use the gamma lids with the Wal Mart and Lowes food grade buckets.

I just got about 20 food grade buckets from Dunkin Donuts for free with lids, their icing come in them. I called and asked them to save them and they told me they'd call when the had a bunch and did. They ranged from 2 gallon to 5 gallon and are free!

The Wal Mart food grade 5 gallon buckets were on sale last week for about $2.58 a piece. Not sure if they still are. They were the ones that say food grade on the label. The homer buckets aren't actually food grade and can leach chemicals into what's stored inside. It isn't something you're going to "notice" they're just not food grade.

I use the gamma lids with the Wal Mart and Lowes food grade buckets.

I just got about 20 food grade buckets from Dunkin Donuts for free with lids, their icing come in them. I called and asked them to save them and they told me they'd call when the had a bunch and did. They ranged from 2 gallon to 5 gallon and are free!

HOLY **** YOU'RE BRILLIANT! I never would have thought of DD, and I go there all the time! Plus, there's about 5,000 DD's in my immediate area!

You're my new favorite poster... for today. Have a "like".

HOLY **** YOU'RE BRILLIANT! I never would have thought of DD, and I go there all the time! Plus, there's about 5,000 DD's in my immediate area!

You're my new favorite poster... for today. Have a "like".

Haha thanks. At first they seemed confused because nobody had asked them before but they just throw them away....some places recycle them. I called Krispy Kreme and they re-use theirs for other things.

If you catch a nice employee they'll gladly set them aside with a note on them for you. It took them just over a week to collect the almost 20 buckets at the one location I got them from. They were even nice enough to run them through their dishwasher.

Similar to the DD tip, you can also try contacting a local bakery or grocery store bakery and ask them for their icing bins.

I am sure storage buckets are helpful, but I store my bulk grain in the sacks they some in, stacked in a dry part of my basement. My basement is bone dry and cool.
I'm glad you haven't had any problems with rodents, but you may want to at least use a large trash can to store your bags. Jamil Z has said that he just stores the bags in a rolled up black plastic bag (contractor bag) in a trash can. However, for those of us in more humid locations and the threat of rodents or insects, we need air-tight storage.
I bought a plastic 55 gallon drum with a removable lid and seal off craigslist for $20. It holds 300 pounds of grain stored in their original sacks. Pulling all the sacks out to find the proper one is a bit of a pain, but not terrible.
I have some similar drums that I think are 12 gallon, just the right size for a full 55lb bag. These type drums are used for the storage of many food products such as syrups, jellies, feed, etc. I just searched for 'food grade' in Craigslist. I agree with Chris that this is the most economical method of storage (other than free).

barrel1.jpg

barrel2.jpg

These are not airtight, but I like them nonetheless. I get them from target- Sterilite brand. They hold 6#, 15#, and about 60#. See the various sizes below. I must have hundreds of these things around my house. All labeled :)

grain_closet-43911.jpg

Man, that is super anal....but in a good way! Please take that as a compliment!

Yep those rectangular/stackable containers with labels, from the last two posts, are along the lines of what I had in mind. I looked at some at a local restaurant supply store and none of them really fit my needs. Here is what I found at those stores.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452770812.747510.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452770845.013981.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452770862.681276.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452770878.999348.jpg

I do have a couple from picture 2 & 3 that i specifically use to measure out my water, and another as a grain bucket. I can get all my grain measured out in one bucket and then grind it all.

I use vittle vaults now, but for a long time I lined homer buckets with extra large glad zip locks! It was cheap and kept the critters out!

I also make wine from 23l pails of fresh juice. Rinsed and dried they do a great job and have a snap on lid with a rubber gasket. I consider them free.

5 gal buckets with Gamma Seal lids. I can get around 25# in one. I put specialty grains in ziploc bags, then put those inside one of the buckets. Don't want mice chewing through bags.

Been doing this for years, storing grain up to a year with no bugs and no ill effect.

I keep planning on getting separate totes or bins, but the simple use of the original bags has worked this far and I see no sense spending the money on bins.

No doubt they won't hurt, but if you have a dry cool place you may not need them.

I just tossed a 55 lb. sack of 2-row I had stored this way for ~6 months. I don't think it got wet, but when I opened it, there was mold everywhere. It was in a paper sack as opposed to the nice plastic ones they use in Europe. I trust those a lot more.

I use pet food containers for my bulk grain. I use 5 gallon buckets with gamma lids and zip lock bags for my loose grain.

I vacuum seal all my grains after they are open. Then just put them in a storage/recycle bin to keep out critters. The base just goes in a bucket, it's used too fast to worry about.

Im using the dog food containers, not the vault type with the screw on lid. Brand is grreat choice pet food dispenser, from pet smart.

You guys and your fully stocked malt pantries are making me super jealous. I think you've got a better selection than my LHBS! How long does your malt last?

You guys and your fully stocked malt pantries are making me super jealous. I think you've got a better selection than my LHBS! How long does your malt last?

For those that are vacuum sealing and gamma locking I would think almost forever. I'm a roll the sack closed type and don't have issues lol.

Mine aren't vacuum-tight, but I've got malts that have been in there for years without any perceptable change (I bought 5# of black patent malt once - derp - that will last a while :)).

Even people that use airtight containers can have a problem. Grain weevil eggs come with the grain - a trojan horse present for you. So, it's possible to open a sealed container to find these guys. Ironically, while slightly disturbing, had no effect on the malt (wife was a different story).

For those that are vacuum sealing and gamma locking I would think almost forever. I'm a roll the sack closed type and don't have issues lol.

Good point pp, many years ago in a shared bachelor house we had an unexpected persistent onslaught of small moths in the house in January. A few weeks later we found a small bag of grain hidden in the pantry loaded with bugs riddled with small holes they chewed to free themselves. Bad experience, knock on wood haven't had any grain bugs since.

Maybe cold storage would keep bugs at bay.

Mine aren't vacuum-tight, but I've got malts that have been in there for years without any perceptable change (I bought 5# of black patent malt once - derp - that will last a while :)).

Even people that use airtight containers can have a problem. Grain weevil eggs come with the grain - a trojan horse present for you. So, it's possible to open a sealed container to find these guys. Ironically, while slightly disturbing, had no effect on the malt (wife was a different story).

Pretty sure if I ever found weevils in my malt I would probably forego brewing altogether.

Incidentally, it looks like the storage containers you use are some of the cheapest available. Have you ever noticed any off flavors or aromas from the malt?

Where do you all store the grains? I brew outside, so was thinking garage. This would result in some extreme temperature swings through the year, so curious if anyone does this.

The storing in the "basement" may work for you, but not every basement is that dry. I would at least wrap them in large plastic bags to prevent potential dampness from ruining them or adding mildew aromatics. I store them in a cool dry area on the first floor, in the original sacks.

I do the same as you with all malts under 25#. It works great and is efficient with space. The Glad gallon freezer bags (those with the Zippers) hold 5# of malt. All those are stored inside plastic rectangular totes. I like to squeeze all the air out of the bags when zipping them, at least as much as possible, as I am convinced O2 causes staling over time. I have grain that's 3 years old and is still as fresh as the day I bought it. I even found some grain that's 7 years old. I tasted it lately and is still fine too. I'll make it a point to use that up soon though.

I just tossed a 55 lb. sack of 2-row I had stored this way for ~6 months. I don't think it got wet, but when I opened it, there was mold everywhere. It was in a paper sack as opposed to the nice plastic ones they use in Europe. I trust those a lot more.

I use pet food containers for my bulk grain. I use 5 gallon buckets with gamma lids and zip lock bags for my loose grain.

Damn! Sorry to hear that. A Briess (paper) sack?

Agreed, the woven poly sacks are the best, and Weyermann even goes the extra mile by providing an impervious inner plastic bag as well.

Go to your local grocery store and ask the bakery dept for icing buckets. They are free. Buy some Gamma Seal Lips from either Home Depot or Lowes and you are set.

Pretty sure if I ever found weevils in my malt I would probably forego brewing altogether.

Incidentally, it looks like the storage containers you use are some of the cheapest available. Have you ever noticed any off flavors or aromas from the malt?

I think a lot of grain, especially wheat, contains weevil eggs. They hatch when the temperatures are high, and will become a nuisance if not handled immediately. MaxStout is correct, freezing will kill the bugs and eggs.

Nope, no off flavors.

Pretty sure if I ever found weevils in my malt I would probably forego brewing altogether....

I think a lot of grain, especially wheat, contains weevil eggs. They hatch when the temperatures are high, and will become a nuisance if not handled immediately. MaxStout is correct, freezing will kill the bugs and eggs.

A few years ago I bought a couple pounds of bulk Buckwheat and Triticale from Wholefoods, but didn't get to brew with them right away and sort of forgot about them. One brew day I open one of the specialty malt totes and I see weevils crawling all inside it. Hundreds of them! Some were starting to venture out looking for another food source... The good thing is they are very slow, lethargic movers, not like ants or most other bugs.

Obviously, brew day needed to be delayed by the few hours it took me to clean them out. When I lifted the 2 brown paper bags that grain had come in, you could hear the rustling, pretty loud. It suddenly made sense why the dog had been showing heightened interest in those totes lately... Looking inside the paper bags, the grain was literally moving, crawling. Every grain had a little perfect round hole in them.

Fortunately only the 2 small paper bags were affected, none of the other grain, most stored in Ziplock and Glad zipper bags, was invaded. Some smaller bags had a twisty and they hadn't been able to get into those either. Systematically I eradicated all of them, double checking every grain and flour bag in the house. Nope they hadn't spread beyond that one tote yet. I later informed the wife about my little adventure with the weevil colony. She never saw one of them. Definitely a lucky day, and very timely!

Phew!

Back