GRAIN STORAGE CONCERN (VITTLES VAULTS)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoundboundCo

Reaction score
What’s up yall. I just got 3 vittles vault containers to store some base malts because I’ve used vittle vaults for years with my animals. After filling them up yesterday with grain, I noticed the adapter ring for the lid comes easily off the containers when I pull on them. I’ve always noticed the lids to be more secured. The gasket is inside and it seems to seal fine, but just comes off way to easy. Should this be a concern for shelf life of my grain and exposure to bugs and what not?

Short answer is yes. The VV with a gamma lid is the better choice. I have a couple 60 pound capacity vaults that have a “female“ lid with the gasket not really sturdy and the rim cracked. Doesn’t fit tightly and I’ll be repairing it with gorilla tape. Fear not dear brewers, it is filled with ten pound unopened bags of grain.

Short answer is yes. The VV with a gamma lid is the better choice. I have a couple 60 pound capacity vaults that have a “female“ lid with the gasket not really sturdy and the rim cracked. Doesn’t fit tightly and I’ll be repairing it with gorilla tape. Fear not dear brewers, it is filled with ten pound unopened bags of grain.
So with my current situation how long before grains go bad?

I would mostly be concerned about weevils and pantry moths. To repel weevils a mesh bag of dry bay leaf on top of the grain will work. I might even consider double sided tape for holding the gasket in place as humidity is going to be the thing to shorten the freshness of the grain.
Those pantry moths if you ever have them can squeeze into small spaces.
Some people keep grains for a year even longer when kept cool and dry. So depending on your climate and where you are storing them can impact the answer.
I hope that helps.

so this is a three piece set up? container, ring, then lid? is there any reason the ring needs to come of ever again? i would silicon the ring on.

Back