Gabf 2015

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

microbusbrewery

Reaction score
Unless the search is broken, it didn't look like there was a GABF 2015 thread yet, so here goes.

Tickets aren't on sale yet for GABF, but who's planning on going? I just bought my tickets for the Pints for Prostates Denver Rare Beer Tasting on Friday. Never been to that event, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Also planning on What the Funk (assuming they're still doing it...I haven't found much info yet). If WTF is Thursday night, I'll be doing the Saturday member session. Can't freaking wait!

Anybody in Denver know if The Rackhouse Pub will be opening back up? We went to their All Colorado Rare Beer Tasting two years ago and it was a blast, but it looks like they closed to relocate. It was supposed to be temporary, but according to yelp, they've closed permanently.

The owner of the Rackhouse Pub is relocating to 2875 Blake St. in the super hip RiNo district. He will be acting as the tasting room for Bierstadt Lagerhaus (the latest venture for Prost founder Bill Eye) and C Squared (a cidery run by former Wynkoop Head Brewer Andy Brown)

Rackhouse will have a guest tap of two but will mostly feature the lagers and ciders made on site. They are supposed to also have a large bottle selection.

They are thinking maybe September for an opening.

Thanks Wayne1, that's good to hear! Hopefully they'll be open in time for GABF and maybe they'll resurrect the CO rare beer tasting.

I'll be there! Just got my acceptance into the GABF beer geek program and I'm stoked!

See you there!

:mug:

Nice! So that means you're pouring?

Not to brag, but I bought tix to What The Funk today. Looks like the VIP tickets sold out but there are still GA tickets, just an FYI in case anyone didn't know they went on sale (http://wtfinvitational.com/tickets/).

Wtf is on Wed night this year.

The big complex might be open, I drive by it a few times a week. Breweries almost never open on time though. Open or not, spend some time in the RiNo neighborhood! River North, Epic, Beryl's, Black Shirt, Stem (cider), Our Mutual Friend, Zephyr, Ratio, Infinite Monkey Theorum (wine) are all within a few blocks of each other. On the other side of the tracks (longish walk or very quick cab) but still in RiNo you add Crooked Stave, Mockery, and Great Divide's new taproom are all right next to each other. If Bierstadt and C Squared open on time then that is 2 more to add. Again these are almost all within 4-5 blocks of each other!

I'm coming over again (2010) for GABF, and staying in the RiNo neighbourhood. I'll probably only go to the members session and hit up some of the other events and breweries during my 6 days in Denver. Can't wait.

Got my Thurs night tix. WTF Wednesday night, GABF Thursday night, Pints for Prostates on Friday. Plus special tappings throughout the week...it's going to be epic!

I'm in for Thursday night and the Saturday member's session. Looking forward to it again this year, and luckily I can walk home afterwards!

So I was in an all-day meeting. Had the ticketmaster app loaded up and ready to go. Right before 10am, my signal drops from LTE to 3G. There are certain spots in the building where I get no service, so I was almost crapping my pants when I saw it drop to 3G.

I was able to get Friday night and Saturday members session. 4th year going to the Sat afternoon session, learned after the 1st year that Saturday night isn't as fun. We plan on hitting the town that night instead.

So I was sitting at the bar tonight having a burger and a few beers with a friend of mine, when conversation drifted to my trip out to GABF last year. Got to thinking, "That's only like two months away...tickets should be going on sale here pretty soon"

Yeah...... Looks like 2016 for my return...

Will be celebrating my third year attending the members session on Sat. Cheers everyone! :mug:

This will be my first time. Heading to the Saturday afternoon session. Only took three years living in Denver to get to the festival. Can't wait.

So has anyone started looking at the list of breweries to put together a must visit list? Just curious who everyone is excited about?
I'm for sure hitting Wicked Weed, Rare Barrel, Faction, and Societe to name a few.

So has anyone started looking at the list of breweries to put together a must visit list? Just curious who everyone is excited about?
I'm for sure hitting Wicked Weed, Rare Barrel, Faction, and Societe to name a few.

My friends and I were just talking about the same thing. The ones you listed are top ones for me too. Others I plan on visiting are Jester King, Prairie Artisan, The Bruery. Noble Ale Works, Jolly Pumpkin, New Glarus, Anchorage Brewing. I always hit some of the bigger boys like Dogfish Head too.

I don't think Jester King is going to be there. They're not listed on the app anyway.

Prairie Artisan? Where are they from? I'm not familiar with them. I'm skipping the Colorado breweries since I live here and can visit them anytime.

Dang it, just downloaded the app and you're right, no Jester King. Also no Anchorage. I'm also hitting What the Funk and the Denver Rare Beer Tasting, so hopefully some will show up there.

Prairie is out of Oklahoma. I've only had a chance to try a couple of their beers, but I've really enjoyed them.

So went to What The Funk last night and I gotta say, WTF!?!? it was probably the worst beer fest I've ever been to and I'm from Utah. Tickets were supposed to be limited to 1000 (combination of early entry VIP and 45 minute later GA tickets). I bought GA tix and was in the first third that made it in and breweries had already run out of beer (e.g. Side Project). How the hell can you run out of beer 45 minutes into a beer festival?!?!? I'll tell you...it's because they way oversold the tickets.

I'd estimate there was somewhere between 3 and 4 thousand at this event. Way more than the breweries had planned for and way more than the venue could support. Not only was there not enough beer to go around, both the event center inside and the tent outside were packed shoulder to shoulder. It was a pain to even try to move around. You couldn't even tell where the 20 minute long lines for beer started. Long story short, it was a complete disappointment and I doubt I'd ever do it again. This event was a complete fail. I'd rather do the Utah Beer Festival and I hate the Utah Beer Festival. Thankfully we have the GABF session tonight so I'm looking forward to some festival redemption.

That sucks about WTF. How was opening night of GABF? What beers impressed you?

I'm going to the member session on Saturday. Can't wait!

Heading for the members' session tomorrow as well. Anyone who was there Thursday or tonight have tips on lesser-known breweries that are worth a visit? And what's the new "Meet the Brewer Hall" like? Can't wait!

Thursday night session was awesome. The additional space made navigation a bit different than in the past. We found ourselves often crisscrossing the festival to get to various breweries. If you have some bucket list breweries, I'd hit them first. Shorts was one we wanted to try but by the time we got there (late in the evening) they only had one beer left.

BTW, we went to the Denver Rare Beer Tasting put on by Pints for Prostates. It was awesome and everything I'd hoped What The Funk would have been. Very well organized, awesome beers and plenty to go around. I think there was only a couple that I didn't get to try. Only one of them was because they'd ran out before I made it to the booth. Definitely planning on attending this event again.

Back