Which Beer Snob are you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm "The Professor" most likely. I haven't taken the classes, but I must know as much as I can about everything I've involved in.

Many times in stores I will have a question and the worker will have no idea what the elf I'm taking about. Best Buy, Home Depot, Target, Gas Stations . . .

I'm not trying to be a prick, I am just genuinely interested :D

The closest to me would have to be The Sampler. I just like tasting new stuff, but I do tend to stick to stuff I know I like when it comes time to plunk down my own money.

But not always. Trying a sample of Sweet Baby Jesus got me to buy a pint, and to find out that Liquid Bliss isn't as good as SBJ, in my humble opinion.

I can certainly understand the Evangelist angle - but I rarely bring my brews to parties unless I am asked to. When I do I find myself hoping to convert just one a party. =;>

In my humble opinion I am not a beer snob but a Beer Geek. If a person asks a basic question, they get a basic answer in one sentence. If a person seems genuinely inquisitive then they get more sentences and even a dialogue or two. Now if a person is a head brewer of a local brewery - then I become the idiot and ask them questions for as long as they will talk with me... j/k

Have to say that people who drink and make their own beer are a really good crowd to hang with - that is for sure. I come from the ex-wall street side of the world - HOLY SHNIKES there are some real a-hole's out there. Have yet to meet a real a$$hole in the beer world...:mug:

I'm closest to "self-important homebrewer" but after nearly 10 years of brewing, I'm a little beyond the "one batch of mediocre pale ale" level.

I'm also a bit "professor", but that applies to things WAY beyond beer as well.

is there a #20? Laid back RDWHAHBer?

He has an enormous amount of knowledge in his head, but won't unload it on you unless you are genuinely interested and you ask. If you start brewing, he'll help and teach, but not be overbearing and he won't take over the process. He has a cabinet in his house full of cool, shiny stainless steel and Pyrex gadgets and lots of books. He's happy to pour you a glass of whatever's in his kegerator. He's capable of talking about things other than beer while sharing a beer.

This would be closest to me, and I’m sure quite a lot of us homebrewers. Honestly, I think “homebrewer” and “beer snob/geek” are typically two very different things. At least the ones I’ve come across. When I first started homebrewing I wanted to tell everyone I knew about it but quickly realized many people really don’t care about anything but drinking something that tastes good, so I stopped preaching. But if someone is generally interested in the process I can shoot the sh*t with them all day long.

I am extremely critical of my own homebrew but ask any of my friends who’s the first person to drink a PBR, Yuengling, or Genessee Cream and they will all say me. Maybe that just makes me an alcy….

The Cave Man / Garage Guy: Lurks around the mouth of his garage at almost any time, looking busy, typically w/vessel in hand. Breaks morning peace on weekends with grinding noises, followed by propane burner noises and the scent of cooking sugar. Generally friendly to passersby but not too solicitous so as to protect his precious inventory for only the worthiest.

Yea this is me too. Nothing like the sounds and smell of stainless grinding in the morning!

Back