Which Beer Snob are you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
I found this article to be amusing.
I may be "The Evangelist",

http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/19-types-of-beer-snobs-beer-enthusiasts

THE 19 TYPES OF BEER SNOBS
PUBLISHED ON 1/31/2015 BY BEN ROBINSON AND MATT LYNCH

Being a beer snob is kind of like being a serial killer (stay with us...) in that people rarely just come right out and say "Hello, I am a beer snob." It's all about the ACTIONS, whether they be stockpiling a bunch of bodies in the basement, or stockpiling a bunch of rare beers in the one corner of the basement not occupied by all those bulky bodies. With that said, here are the different types of beer snobs you might encounter, which, just to be clear, does not in any way make them more likely to be a serial killer. Probably.

The Self-Important Homebrewer
Will second-guess the beer he’s consuming with talk of hop varieties and bottle conditioning. Has made one decidedly mediocre pale ale from a kit he received for Christmas.

Mr. Groupthink
Incapable of telling you what he thinks of a beer until he’s scanned a representative sampling of BeerAdvocate reviews.

Just an A**hole
Was already an insufferable snob about his car, wardrobe, and frequent trips to Europe. Beer was just the next logical step in the progression. Why yes, he did just correct your pronunciation of “Cantillon.”

The Condescender
Treats anyone drinking a light beer like a toddler who just pooped himself, audible groans of disapproval included. Also the kind of person who intentionally provokes political arguments at family gatherings.

The Master Debater
You: “I tried this beer, it was pretty good.” Him: “Get ready to spend the next five minutes finding a polite exit while I harangue you about your beer preferences, even though, in reality, I think that beer is good, too.”

The Evangelist
Brings a few choice selections and a hefty supply of tasting glasses to any social gathering, just hoping to win a couple of converts. What, you weren’t planning on drinking a 15% ABV Russian imperial stout at your nephew’s Christening?

Captain Ahab
Almost got his hands on a Pappy Van Winkle 23 Dark Lord back in 2011, and has been hunting that white whale ever since. Probably doesn't have a peg leg, but might!

The Professor
Won’t even listen to you unless you’re AT LEAST taking Cicerone classes. But she will talk. OH, will she talk.

The Trader
Parlayed a Surly Darkness and an Abyss into a Chocolate Rain, which he combined with a CBS to land a barrel-aged Hunahphu’s that’s almost impossible to find. Has yet to try any of these beers. Ask him if he’s gonna open that Hunah and he will look at you like you’re crazy. Will entertain trade offers, though.

The Sampler
Always asks for a sample at the bar, you know, so he can make an informed decision -- aka find some minute defect with it and then ask for something he already knows he likes.

The Fresh-Head
Ummmm... DID YOU JUST DRINK THAT IPA?? IT’S NINE DAYS OLD AND WAS SHIPPED ACROSS SEVEN STATES!!!! HAVE SOME GODDAMN RESPECT FOR YOURSELF!!!

The Sour Prince
Beers that cost less than $17.99 retail scare him deeply. He once put 35 Warheads in his mouth at once, and finished them all without so much as a sip of water. People unfamiliar with yeast strains universally assume his best friend is named "Brett."

The IBU Freak
He once drank an entire bottle of bitters thinking it was a small flavored soda because he had his glasses off, and didn’t notice. Tim Allen is not-so-secretly his favorite television personality.

Release Party Guy
He’s got his tickets, he’s got a sleeping bag, and he’s got the respect of three people, who are the three people directly behind him in line. Couldn’t tell you what any of the beers he’s tried in the last year taste like, because he only had one of each, because you gotta do the rounds, man. Nobody is certain how he gets home.

The Barrel-Aged Devotee
In honor of the woodworking craftsmen, she named her child Cooper, even though that’s the name of the silly Manning brother nobody likes. Also she’s pretty broke.

The Glassware Obsessive
Wait, did you seriously just pour a Vienna-style lager into a domestic barrel-aged breakfast stout glass? YOU KNOW HE CAN SEE YOU!!!!

The Complete 180
Three months ago, she exclusively drank 16oz cans of domestic light beer, shotgunning two-thirds of them. Last week, she booked a two-week trip to Vermont, by herself.

The Brewery Fanboy
He wears a Three Floyds hoodie when he buys his Heady Topper, wears a Heady Topper ballcap when he drinks his Pliny, and wears a Pliny T-shirt when he goes to Dark Lord Day. He owns a matching Arrogant Bastard biking jersey and socks, but not a bike.

The One-Upper
Oh, you’ve got a good beer? That’s great, his is better. God, it’s so much better. The nice part though? He will refuse to drink yours because it’s not good enough, and will give you half of his just to prove that he’s just the best at beer. So basically, keep this guy around

The first time I saw this, my comment was "Oh, get f%#*ed, Buzzfeed" or whatever I was reading at the time. Then I went to a growler filling place at a local liquor store and saw a bunch of guys fitting many of these descriptions perfectly. Of course, the other 90% of the people in the place seemed pretty cool.

Thankfully I don't think I can put myself into any of these groups. Although I do have a son named Cooper.

The Barrel-Aged Devotee
In honor of the woodworking craftsmen, she named her child Cooper, even though that’s the name of the silly Manning brother nobody likes. Also she’s pretty broke.

I do joke around with close friends in a way that could put me into this one. But they all know I mean nothing by it and just having fun.

The Condescender
Treats anyone drinking a light beer like a toddler who just pooped himself, audible groans of disapproval included. Also the kind of person who intentionally provokes political arguments at family gatherings.

None of the above.

But I have met every one of them described.

I am none of them as well.
The closest I would come would be
"The Evangelist"
Brings a few choice selections and a hefty supply of tasting glasses to any social gathering, just hoping to win a couple of converts. What, you weren’t planning on drinking a 15% ABV Russian imperial stout at your nephew’s Christening?

However I dont bring glasses, usually solo cups, usually clear so you can see the brew.
I am surrounded by BMC drinkers, except for my 1 neighbor. But most the BMC drinkers I know drink BMC because they simply dont try anything.
So I tend to bring stuff where ever I go.
However everyone I know always travels with a cooler of atleast 6 beers and a jar of whiskey!

So Ultra beer cool matt and ben are all of them?? because it takes one to know one.......If i was any it would be Fresh head...sorry not going to by a year old IPA that states on the bottle "Drink Fresh". And if that is somehow some underground secret beer society myth than so be it.

+1.

I'll drink anything that tastes good to me and I'll dump anything that I don't like.

and on a hot summer day I'll gladly pound down some bud lights if that's all that is available to me.

This. Not much else better after a long hot hike than a Coors Lite.

None of the above.

But I have met every one of them described.

The best is the Brewery Fanboy. Obviously I have some brewery swag, stone t-shirt, etc. But my favorite is going to a brewery seeing someone in a Ballast Point hat, wearing a green flash t-shirt, and a stone sweatshirt draped around his chair.

+1.

I'll drink anything that tastes good to me and I'll dump anything that I don't like.

and on a hot summer day I'll gladly pound down some bud lights if that's all that is available to me.

Same here, I haven't met many beers I don't like. I might not prefer them or purchase them, but if offered one I never turn down a free beer.

This. Not much else better after a long hot hike than a Coors Lite.

The best is the Brewery Fanboy. Obviously I have some brewery swag, stone t-shirt, etc. But my favorite is going to a brewery seeing someone in a Ballast Point hat, wearing a green flash t-shirt, and a stone sweatshirt draped around his chair.

The closest I would come to is "Glassware Obsessive". I do have a large collection of beer related glassware. Ironically, I rarely use them for beer. I don't care about matching the beer to the glass, sure there is "some" perceived difference but not enough, IMO, to go all nazi about it.

I usually just drink out of a large 1 liter dimpled tankard or a large goblet. But, I also won't hesitate to drink straight from the bottle or can.

The closest I would come to is "Glassware Obsessive". I do have a large collection of beer related glassware. Ironically, I rarely use them for beer. I don't care about matching the beer to the glass, sure there is "some" perceived difference but not enough, IMO, to go all nazi about it.

I usually just drink out of a large 1 liter dimpled tankard or a large goblet. But, I also won't hesitate to drink straight from the bottle or can.

Is that the same thing as a large Farva? :cross::D

(I really hope someone gets the reference)

is there a #20? Laid back RDWHAHBer?

He has an enormous amount of knowledge in his head, but won't unload it on you unless you are genuinely interested and you ask. If you start brewing, he'll help and teach, but not be overbearing and he won't take over the process. He has a cabinet in his house full of cool, shiny stainless steel and Pyrex gadgets and lots of books. He's happy to pour you a glass of whatever's in his kegerator. He's capable of talking about things other than beer while sharing a beer.

The Glassware Obsessive

maybe not so much with beer glasses when I pour a home brew, even though I do have an assortment of beer type glasses, but I am that way with cocktail glasses. I have drink glasses for just about every kind of alcoholic beverage out there. It drives my wife crazy when I start looking at new glasses in the store.

I only have specialized Glassware, because SWMBO bought it for me.
I always drank beer out of the same pint glass, with NY Yankee emblem and Budweiser on the other side.
knowing she was going to Peer 1 or some box store, I mentioned I could use 1 pint glass. Just 1, in case we had company, because really who wants to drink beer out of plastic kids cups with adorned with Lego characters, Batman or Princesses?

She went and used a Peer 1 gift card and got me a 1/2 dozen specialized glassware kit. Has glassware for stouts, porters, ales and some other beers I tend not to drink.

Now if I dont use the Specialized glassware, she shames me!

I guess I'd be closest to the self-important homebrewer.

I do find myself questioning commercial brews, and liking my own better on many occasions. I've been brewing for a few years though, so more than just one mediocre kit pale ale!

Way to funny of an article. Actually laughed out loud. Thanks for that.

hells yeah!

Right there with ya.

is there a #20? Laid back RDWHAHBer?

I believe I'm in this group.

Now if I dont use the Specialized glassware, she shames me!

NICE! as she should. hehehehe... just kidding, I have a bunch of glasses and normally use my AHA pint glass or a Boston Lager glass.

Great post.

I'm the complete 180, although the other side. Have always spent stupid amounts of money on good craft beers but recently cheap refreshing lagers have been calling my name. Love me some Rainier.

There should be another category called "BJCP Dropout". I have several friends like this, and are also hardcore one uppers. They will try my home brew and nitpick everything they find wrong with it and barely have anything good to say. By the way none of them brew their own. Just irks the hell out of me

I'm a lot of these, and none of these. I love beer, everyone I know knows I love beer. I'll talk to you about it if you want to talk about it. It's just like basketball, or old Kay archtop guitars, or lawns, or auto repair.

I'd be none of the above, but I barely squeak into Fan-boy by bringing a Jack's abbey Growler cooler bag as my lunch box to work every day.

It should have been a quiz.

This list is right on point. Every single one of these has walked into my shop at some time or other. I suppose I'm an Evangelist, but not to the extreme stated above

The Cave Man / Garage Guy: Lurks around the mouth of his garage at almost any time, looking busy, typically w/vessel in hand. Breaks morning peace on weekends with grinding noises, followed by propane burner noises and the scent of cooking sugar. Generally friendly to passersby but not too solicitous so as to protect his precious inventory for only the worthiest.

I know a lot of "Condescenders", and Release people. I could probably put a name with every title. I dont think I fit into any. I smashed 3-4 miller lites today while pouring a friends driveway. Didnt want any of the "craft beer" he had (nor was he trying to force it to me). We dont judge people on the spirits they drink, or what they drink them with. Thats how I prefer it. I like this article as it shows that certain people are on their pedestal, and quite frankly, need knocked off it.

We dont judge people on the spirits they drink, or what they drink them with. Thats how I prefer it. I like this article as it shows that certain people are on their pedestal, and quite frankly, need knocked off it.

Very true. Everything has its share of hipsters and snobs but I think the vast majority of home brewers and beer lovers are great people. Cheers

We dont judge people on the spirits they drink, or what they drink them with. Thats how I prefer it. I like this article as it shows that certain people are on their pedestal, and quite frankly, need knocked off it.

Very true. Everything has its share of hipsters and snobs but I think the vast majority of home brewers and beer lovers are great people. Cheers

A buddy of mine sent this to me a while back. I'll admit, I'm probably guilty of approaching Fresh-Head status, but only in terms of personal preference. What can I say - having a fresh supply of homebrew spoils a man. It's easy to get used to, as everyone here knows. I'm not going to give anyone else a hard time about it though.

I do have one buddy that is constantly hanging on to bottles of extremely hop-forward IPA's for months at a time. Stores them warm and everything. I really have to bite my tongue in those cases. The humanity.

Anyway, Fresh-head or not, I'm all for everyone enjoying what they like, the way they like it. Or at least that's what I tell myself when I get odd looks at the beer store as I Sherlock Holmes bottles and six-packs for date stamps.

Cheers.

I suppose the list was intended to be entertaining, being accurate isn't really important anymore. My first thought was that the authors didn't consult a dictionary and look up what the definition of the word "snob" was.
Being opinionated, an A-hole, wearing certain clothes, preferring to drink certain things while refusing others, collecting beers, being obsessive about what glass they drink from, making condescending remarks are not the same as being a snob.
Isn't it snobbery to look down on someone because of the beer t-shirt or hat they wear? Or to somehow feel you are superior because you are not a snob?
So now my remarks pointing out the author's ignorance of the English language means someone may label me as an obsessive condescending A-hole opinionated word purist snob.

I thought the descriptions were very funny. The author(s) obviously have a lot of knowledge to put it all together. I'm guessing they are probably aligned with one or more of those descriptors.

None of those really. I'm more of a beer geek.

If I was forced to choose the closest, then:

-The Glassware Obsessive... just because I have the glassware and appreciate the aroma and the head
-The One-Upper... just because I've brewed, bought, and drank enough beers to know a thing or two

But I don't force other people to do/think as I do.

Is that the same thing as a large Farva? :cross::D

(I really hope someone gets the reference)

Yeah, gimme a.....literacola.

Yeah I prefer "beer geek" to "beer snob" as well. I may tell you more than you ever wanted to know about beer, brewing, yeast, carbonation, style history...but only because I find it genuinely interesting, not because I want to be condescending or make you feel stupid.

Well, I do own an Arrogant Bastard cycling jersey and matching growlers. You got me... Fanboy it is!

I own exactly one branded glass, and a Guinness baseball cap. I'm generally against being a walking billboard for anything other than punk rock bands, The Texas Rangers, or The Dallas Mavericks.

Latest posts

Back