Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if these count, but I read these on this site and they made me laugh a bit..

"Brewing anything less than 6% ABV is just a waste of my time"
and
"I refuse to buy any beer which doesn't list the hops used"

(Names withheld as I would like to avoid a flame war. )

I totally fall in the over 6% crowd.

I have yet to make a sub-6% beer. I have even tried, but I seem to get better efficiency even when I don't want it.

I guess I should accept my destiny.

:D

I find I make my abv from 3.5 to 13. The abv I can't make is the one I intend to make. Either my efficiency is to high/low or it doesn't attenuate correctly being to high or low. The closest I get is one whole percent.

Never heard of it didn't realize it was a beer. I stand corrected then. Thought it was just a messed up sign.

Yeah, they made it for a short while, about 5-6 years ago. Actually a drinkable Budweiser product.

Yeah, they made it for a short while, about 5-6 years ago. Actually a drinkable Budweiser product.

Funny thing I've heard about Bud American Ale. I may have shared this before, but it's at least topical:

Back when Bud still made the American Ale, we happened to have a 6-pack in the fridge when we threw a surprise 50th b-day party for my MIL. (I'd stashed away the HB and "good stuff.") Her family only drinks the Beast...Bud Light if they're feeling fancy. My wife's uncles cleared out the light beer pretty quick, and found the American Ale on the fridge door. I happened to be walking past and heard one say to the other, "God, that'll make you never want to drink beer again."

Funny thing I've heard about Bud American Ale. I may have shared this before, but it's at least topical:

Back when Bud still made the American Ale, we happened to have a 6-pack in the fridge when we threw a surprise 50th b-day party for my MIL. (I'd stashed away the HB and "good stuff.") Her family only drinks the Beast...Bud Light if they're feeling fancy. My wife's uncles cleared out the light beer pretty quick, and found the American Ale on the fridge door. I happened to be walking past and heard one say to the other, "God, that'll make you never want to drink beer again."

If Anheuser–Busch InBev came out with a great mass market ale, the Bud drinkers wouldn't touch it, beer snobs wouldn't be caught dead drinking it, and it would soon fade away. Unless, of course, there was a very cool Superbowl ad promoting it.

If Anheuser–Busch InBev came out with a great mass market ale, the Bud drinkers wouldn't touch it, beer snobs wouldn't be caught dead drinking it, and it would soon fade away. Unless, of course, there was a very cool Superbowl ad promoting it.

Or they sold it under one of the 200+ other brands they own:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AB_InBev_brands

I'm guessing it would last right around 3 years. I bet they would advertise it as a dry-hopped, top-fermented ale. I could even imagine the beer's slogan to be something like, "Sip. Savor. Repeat."

And I'm assuming that's why it was so short-lived: too flavorful for the light beer drinkers, too BMC for the beer geeks.

Their fatal flaw was releasing it under the Bud brand. If they'd created some crafty side label like Shock Top or Blue Moon, it probably would've done fine.

And I'm assuming that's why it was so short-lived: too flavorful for the light beer drinkers, too BMC for the beer geeks.

Their fatal flaw was releasing it under the Bud brand. If they'd created some crafty side label like Shock Top or Blue Moon, it probably would've done fine.

This is something I do not get. Why/how could they not make a diversity of beers under the Bud label at the start of the mico/"craft" movement? I saw the commercial this weekend with their whole "do it the same way for 1xx years". All I could think was this is how business fail when the market shifts and they fail to adapt. AB-Inbev may continue to live (buying breweries to diversify) however IMO they are indirectly killing the Bud label each year.

Back to funny: on a experimental brewing pod cast Jay Goodwin (sour beer brewer) was asked; "what his favorite hop was?"
Him: (jokingly) what are hops?

This is something I do not get. Why/how could they not make a diversity of beers under the Bud label at the start of the mico/"craft" movement? I saw the commercial this weekend with their whole "do it the same way for 1xx years". All I could think was this is how business fail when the market shifts and they fail to adapt. AB-Inbev may continue to live (buying breweries to diversify) however IMO they are indirectly killing the Bud label each year.

Caught between the demographics, I guess. On one side you have the fiercely loyal "I drink Bud, my dad drank Bud, and so did his dad before him" buyer who think even drinking a Miller or Coors is sacrilege. On the other, you have the "hoppy/sour/local or GTFO" crowd who are not going to touch anything blatantly Bud-branded on general principles. You aren't going to win the latter over with more Bud products, so you buy the breweries they do care about and catch a share of their profits. The former group isn't really looking for anything but consistency, so give it to them.

Back to funny: on a experimental brewing pod cast Jay Goodwin (sour beer brewer) was asked; "what his favorite hop was?"
Him: (jokingly) what are hops?

Now this is funny.

Went to the release of a new beer brand up in Ottawa Ontario about six or seven years ago. One of the offerings was a porter. Went for that first. I figure if a brewery was serious about their new brand and offered a porter as their introduction to the market, it should be pretty decent.

The spokesperson (model) who provided me the sample of this new offering smiled as she watched me swirl, smell and taste this new porter

Her "so - what do you think?" smiling still
Me "It's fizzy"
Her "So was it good?"

I left.

Caught between the demographics, I guess. On one side you have the fiercely loyal "I drink Bud, my dad drank Bud, and so did his dad before him" buyer who think even drinking a Miller or Coors is sacrilege. On the other, you have the "hoppy/sour/local or GTFO" crowd who are not going to touch anything blatantly Bud-branded on general principles. You aren't going to win the latter over with more Bud products, so you buy the breweries they do care about and catch a share of their profits. The former group isn't really looking for anything but consistency, so give it to them.

But consider how many people out there who down gallons of Blue Moon or Shock Top each year who used to strictly drink BMC's main line. A lot of them have absolutely no idea they're owned/made by InBev, MC, etc. Hell, in some states those are the highest selling beers:
http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/business_insider/2013/10/16/131016_bi_beermap.jpg

If they were willing to try something they through was completely new, they probably would have been even more willing if the BMC branding were more obvious. Amber Bock is case in point. It's obviously a Michelob brand, and it sells quite well. To be fair though, lots of BMC drinkers consider Michelob to be fancy-pants, already...

Went to the release of a new beer brand up in Ottawa Ontario about six or seven years ago. One of the offerings was a porter. Went for that first. I figure if a brewery was serious about their new brand and offered a porter as their introduction to the market, it should be pretty decent.

The spokesperson (model) who provided me the sample of this new offering smiled as she watched me swirl, smell and taste this new porter

Her "so - what do you think?" smiling still
Me "It's fizzy"
Her "So was it good?"

I left.

So a model tried to talk to you and you blew her off because the porter was overcarbed?

You're doing it wrong.

Two of my coworkers (BMC drinkers), just now:

"Keg beer is much stronger than bottle beer. That's why I never drink it. Two keg beers, and I'm hammered."

"Yeah, and it gives you much worse hangovers, too. Last time I drank keg beer, it took me 3 days to recover."

:confused:

"Keg beer is much stronger than bottle beer. That's why I never drink it. Two keg beers, and I'm hammered."

"Yeah, and it gives you much worse hangovers, too. Last time I drank keg beer, it took me 3 days to recover."

I wondered what happened when I moved from bottling to kegging. I just assumed it was all the damage done to my liver up to that point. Glad to know it's the kegs to blame. I'll be selling them immediately.

not so much stronger than bottled, but I do remember getting a little more inebriated & faster drinking draft beer. back when I drank Bud

there could be SCIENCE! and stuff behind it

Maybe infection from dirty tap lines?

OT Just on the radio (pandora for me), Rebel Grapefruit IPA by Sam Adams. Does this mean the ideas from their homebrew competition have dried up?

Last edited:
not so much stronger than bottled, but I do remember getting a little more inebriated & faster drinking draft beer. back when I drank Bud

There is science and stuff behind it.

Drinking hole thing is small:

open-beer-can.jpg

Drinking hole thing is large:

images

I wondered what happened when I moved from bottling to kegging. I just assumed it was all the damage done to my liver up to that point. Glad to know it's the kegs to blame. I'll be selling them immediately.

Just the kegs, or the liver too?

Either way, send me a PM.

Not a problem. I've got a one-eyed Cambodian guy who does runs through the triad market of Norway, Utah, and Ghana.

It's a small pipeline, but growing.

A (fairly intelligent) friend of mine was convinced that belgian beers were named after "how many times they are fermented". As in a tripel is fermented 3 times and a quad is fermented 4 times. I tried to explain her how fermentation works and the real difference between the beers, but I don't think she believed me.

A (fairly intelligent) friend of mine was convinced that belgian beers were named after "how many times they are fermented". As in a tripel is fermented 3 times and a quad is fermented 4 times. I tried to explain her how fermentation works and the real difference between the beers, but I don't think she believed me.

If Miller Lite can triple hop their beer then I can triple ferment mine, damnit!

WELL ACTUALLY!!!
I have seen the English terms "double, tripple, etc fermented" used on commercial craft brew descriptions when the Brewer used staggered fermentable additions to avoid a super high gravity initial wort. And even once for bottle conditioning... I could understand the confusion.

But consider how many people out there who down gallons of Blue Moon or Shock Top each year who used to strictly drink BMC's main line. A lot of them have absolutely no idea they're owned/made by InBev, MC, etc. Hell, in some states those are the highest selling beers:
http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/business_insider/2013/10/16/131016_bi_beermap.jpg

If they were willing to try something they through was completely new, they probably would have been even more willing if the BMC branding were more obvious. Amber Bock is case in point. It's obviously a Michelob brand, and it sells quite well. To be fair though, lots of BMC drinkers consider Michelob to be fancy-pants, already...

Whatever else they may not be good at, BMC is very good at moving a lot of product. I think it's strange that they sometimes insult the craft beers owned by their parent companies in Super Bowl ads... but otherwise I think they have a pretty good handle on how to sell lots of beer.

That said, how the f*** is Sam Adams Boston Lager tops in Illinois??

Maybe because a draft beer is often more than 12oz?

Back