Weyermann Barke Pilsner - I made FIRE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Necromancing this thread, after brewing many light lagers with barke pils the last 2-3 years I got a sack of rahr north pils and am very curious to see how it compares

Sorry, shoulda quoted: @moreb33rplz

Is Rahr North Star Pils undermodified? Rahr's site seems to describe as such in the taste description, but falls short of outright saying so? Maybe the Protein Total 12.0, Extract FG Min 79.0 is less info than needed.
Did the bag have a Malt Analysis attached to it perhaps?

Their website says
A base malt to set your compass by! Rahr North Star Pils™ is crafted to meet the requirements of brewers looking for a domestic pilsner malt with low color and low modification. It is malted to a target of 38-40° Kolbach to facilitate smooth lautering with any mash regimen.

To me, the last bit means that it's at least 40L-50L out of the box (sack?), but "low modification" means it's not pushing 100L without a protein rest. I'd guess ~60L by default.

(Although, from what I read 38K is not really low modification? I'm going in circles. Does Kolbach affect lauter? I'm so confused.)

Last edited:
The rahr description says it is 'less modified ' than their other pils malts. However I am just a humble beer drinker and I don't even know what that means or what you guys are talking about with the malt stats so I'm just gonna brew with it the same way I did with barke pils and see what happens

"modified" as applied to malting grain is essentially how long the grain is allowed to sprout (as measured by acrospire length vs grain length) before it is kilned to stop the growing process. Generally the longer the acrospire the greater the "modification". The malting process develops the essential enzymes needed to later convert the remaining starches into sugars in the mash, with some of that starch already converted during the malting process (which is why raw malted grain has some sweetness to it...)

Cheers!

Back