Frigidaire 8.8 LFFC09M5HW build and some useful links.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guittarmaster

Reaction score
I'm currently working on a coffin keezer build with frigidaire 8.8. Since it's a pretty common chest freezer thought I'd start a thread and place all the references that I'm finding very useful for designing process. I'd also like to link to the other keezers other members have build based around this specific chest freezer.

The dimensions of the freezer are L41.0" x W34.25" x D23.25".

Chest Freezer Specs Sheets and Layout Drawings by Thadius856 has been absolutely indispensable for deciding on which freezer to go with. I want my keezer to have atleast 4 beers on tap and have room for cold crashing, lagering, storage, and/or expand-ability. This seems to fit that perfectly.

According to the illustration of the different keg layouts If I build an `8" collar i can use the space on the hump to store kegs and fermenters.

I'm gunning for one like Another Coffin Keezer Build by Markwondi.
It seems modeled after Reeg68birds in the New Keezer/Kegerator Build Completed thread. His illustration of his coffin is one of the last items i needed to find before being able to start and that stage. It would seem the angle of the sides are arctan(13.75/2.08)=~81.5degrees.

Here is a useful link to a fraction-decimal conversion table to use when estimating lengths for backwards engineering some of the dimensions I've found while researching.

Some build notes and questions for comments.

Sadly I haven't found many keezers yet with collars that wide. If you know of some share a link please.

with the wheels, 2x4 frame, collar, and bar top the keezer is about 46" high. Since I can't reach the bottom from over the collar for cleaning and what not so I'm thinking about attaching the collar to the bartop plywood directly (omitting the factory lid and salvaging the hinges. This would be like Jfinke Keezer Build GE 7 CF (FCM7SUWW) build however I think I'll have to have the front panels on a door hinge so after I lift the top I can open the front to lift kegs into it. Otherwise i loose the advantage of opening it at the base of the collar.

I"m also considering using the car harcback door lifts to help open the top and take weight off the factory hinges and those joints.

I also haven't yet found the thread for integrating the temperature controller ... I just know the keezers I like seem to use a PID of what not. Advice here would be greatly appreciated as well.

Does this sound good so far?

Thanks for the input folks.

I got to spend a little more time working on the keezer. Since most of the keezer threads i'm looking at are several years old, whats the "new" best fan for cooling a coffin box and the "new" best way to control temp? Is it still the ebay aquarium controller? I'll keep searching but in the mean while here are some pics of construction thus far to get ya interested.... I apologize upfront or the image quality.

I hope to start on the front and side paneling and attach the bar top to the collar this weekend. Might even get to drill holes for the fans and lines if i'm lucky!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401988990.991863.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401988911.632541.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401988943.314022.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401989108.474147.jpg

GM

Figured it was time for some updates!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404431207.747115.jpg ahh the pocket hole thing-ah-ma-jig. Worth every penny!!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404431273.038382.jpg
Sanding the frame for the front and side panels.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404431380.852229.jpg
And trying to attach the door. I choose to make the right front panel a door so I don't have to lift the full kegs so far up!!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404431572.851835.jpg
This is the progress so far. I's have taken more photos but my camera is the ****ty blurry one.

More photos to come this weekend!

Made some real nice progress.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404877110.879519.jpg
Here is a descent photo of it in it's glory.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404877175.150101.jpg
This is a close up on the coffin. The drip trey is from staples for $22 delivered.

I still have to sand it smoother and stain it. I've also decided upon s red Mahogany stain and eventually mske brass inlays.

Because the panels around the chest freezer are birch plywood and pine, a web search on proper staining suggested the use of a pre-stain conditioner. I was lead to believe it was something I could apply and let dry overnight but the directions on the can said to stain within 2 hours of applying the conditioner. I wish i read that before I started because I didn't and had to change plans to stain what I had vs cutting the the final border trim for the bar top. :(

Here are the results of the Red Mahogany stain over birch plywood, poplar, pine, and oak plywood. (I would have omitted the oak plywood but I couldn't find a half sheet of poplar that matched the paneling and wasn't all knotty)

Again. Apologies for the poor lighting.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405094694.488826.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405094728.515746.jpg

Nice build, I'm thinking about using the same freezer to do mine. Updates? Did you figure out the temp controller yet? I have used an ST-1000 Temperature Controller for my previous mini kegerator and it worked great. Either wire outputs to a plug and plug your freezer into it or can splice inline with unit cord or power to compressor. Has built in compressor restart delay (this will extend life of compressor) and adjustable temperatures. Only negative on that controller is it's in Celsius...

Post updates when you have 'em! Nice keezer!!

Glad I stumbled across this. Just realized a major design flaw in mine... if the collar is attached to the lid but you have a solid side/front panels, there really is no point lol. Gonna have to rethink this. so the front panels open in the center to allow access?

Looks good!

I have the same freezer and am building a Pallet Wall with taps. The wall will be flush but the keezer will be able roll out on wheels and drawer slides so you can change out kegs. I can fit 7 kegs with a 10 inch collar and a slight freezer hump extension. Ill post a topic on it once its finished.

Keep up the good work.

I have jut a few updates worth sharing... First. The finished photos.

A closeup of the coffin box post-stain. Eventually i want to try my hands at inlay work with the brass in the photo. The drip tray is from staples for $25 or so delivered.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409774574.384744.jpg

And more zoomed out.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409774770.374431.jpg

Nice build, I'm thinking about using the same freezer to do mine. Updates? Did you figure out the temp controller yet? I have used an ST-1000 Temperature Controller for my previous mini kegerator and it worked great. Either wire outputs to a plug and plug your freezer into it or can splice inline with unit cord or power to compressor. Has built in compressor restart delay (this will extend life of compressor) and adjustable temperatures. Only negative on that controller is it's in Celsius...

Post updates when you have 'em! Nice keezer!!

I ended up going the route of the STC-1000 external controller. I followed this online tutorial and this youtube video except both outlets on my controller are wired on the cold circuit only because a) it seemed easier b) I didn't need to heat the kegerator. The Celsius scale actually works out better for me. I use ºC all the time at work.

I'll try to remember to take some pics of the inside of the coffin box this weekend too as it seems there are usually a far number of questions concerning that.

Glad I stumbled across this. Just realized a major design flaw in mine... if the collar is attached to the lid but you have a solid side/front panels, there really is no point lol. Gonna have to rethink this. so the front panels open in the center to allow access?

The right front panel is on hinges so it swings open from the middle. This was I don't have to lift the beer over the paneling. The left and sides are attached solid.

Well. It took me forever but I finally got the pictures of the inside of meh coffin box.

I'm just using a window. Latch to keep it shut.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414415184.205017.jpg

Inside the box
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414415246.740085.jpg

And one more.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414415275.822175.jpg

The coffin box cooling system isn't that good. It's a lower (80 maybe)CFM and isn't really powerful enough for all that space. I need to get another one for the other large hole on the right and channel the air flow better.

Mike.

How is the keezer treating you? Anything you'd do different in hindsight?

I'm starting my build with this freezer next weekend. I'm starting out with just a collar, then will expand to a coffin as I collect more kegs, taps and $$$.

Nice build! :rockin:

How is the keezer treating you? Anything you'd do different in hindsight?

I'm starting my build with this freezer next weekend. I'm starting out with just a collar, then will expand to a coffin as I collect more kegs, taps and $$$.

Nice build! :rockin:

Q1) the keeper is doing great!!! I totally have carpentry fever and want to build all sorts of things!

Q2) If I could do it over I'd have done two things different. 1) no soft wood. It's not very scruff resistant and stretches easily. Plus the poplar didn't look as nice after the dark stain hit it. 2) I'd have chalked all of my inside joints to reduce draft.

Back