Thoughts on Whirlpool "Convertible" for Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nagorg

If a frog had wings...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning to replace my current keezer and an shopping options. One of the things I hear a lot is that chest freezers aren't designed to be used the way we use them for keezers. They are designed to freeze, not refrigerate which is really what we need.

Anyway, I have no idea if there is any real merit to those comments. But in any event, I've found that Whirlpool makes a convertible chest freezer that can be switched to refrigerator mode. It would cost me a little more than what I had planned to spend but if this meant a potentially longer lifespan and negated the need for a separate temp controller, I figure it might be worth it.
You can see this thing on the link below. Never mind that price on Whirlpool's site, it can be found cheaper elsewhere.
Any thoughts or comments on this?

https://www.whirlpool.com/kitchen/refrigeration/freezers/chest/p.WZC3209LW.html

Asking a freezer to do less seems to be a recipe for a longer lifespan.

I agree with that in theory. But I've been told the opposite; by several different people. I'd be interested if anyone out there with "knowledge" in the appliance realm had any input for sure.

This thing would basically cost ~$200.00 more than the other chest freezer's I'm eyeing. $200.00 would help with the other stuff I need to complete the build for sure.

the problem with what we do to these freezers is that we essentially short cycle them. but the thing is, its not 100% of the time. if the freezer needs to run 5 cycles to get down to temp, then that means 4 cycles were completed and only the 5th was cut short by the temp controller. so while its not great for the unit as it could potentially lead to problems with the condensor, in reality its not really a big deal. search here for freezer issues- typically the failure is something totally unrelated like a line leak, bad capacitor/relay, bad expansion valve, etc.

you could save a whole lot more if you just went on facebook/craigslist/offerup and found a used freezer locally. i was patient and got mine for free. i'm seeing models all the way up to 15cu ft for no more than 200. you should be able to get a typical 5 or 7 cu ft models for like 100 -150 bucks, maybe less. and at that point you're worrying alot less about cutting holes, running tubing, etc. since its old/used/cheap...

you could save a whole lot more if you just went on facebook/craigslist/offerup and found a used freezer locally.

That's how I got the keezer I have now. And I've bought a couple other things that way too but honestly those paths can be a whipping sometimes.

Since the keezer I have now is on its way out, has been for a few years now but I keep nursing it along, I'm ready to build one myself. For all the effort and other costs I'm going to encounter, I'd like to feel better knowing that the freezer *shouldn't* suddenly start having problems related to age etc..

So I'm willing to buy something new. Don't get me wrong, I do look for bargains and will do so until I finally pull the trigger on something. But I have my sights set on a new chest freezer.

fair enough. are you in a hurry? we got prime day coming up fairly soon, end of summer sales, etc.

if you're fine with spending for new, then this sucker seems nice to have the flexiblity, should you decide to use it for non-beer purposes. have seen the upright convertibles, but this is the first chest convertible i've seen.

should you decide to use it for non-beer purposes

Whatever I wind up with, it will be 100% beer purposes. Its the "refrigerator" option that makes me think it might work "better" as a keezer since it could be set for beer temps and not require a separate temp controller.

are you in a hurry? we got prime day coming up fairly soon, end of summer sales, etc.

Not specifically... But I do feel like I'm on borrowed time.

I first posted this thread in 2019:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/keezer-not-cooling-repair-or-replace.668775/
Then, in March of this year I posted this update, ~3 years and 7 months later..
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...repair-or-replace.668775/page-2#post-10234155
I've now had to re-charge the coolant 3 times this year with the 3rd time being today. So yeah, kinda feel like the sooner I get started the better..

So you got ten years use out of a used freezer ran as a refrigerator? I've had three different chest freezers, two bought new and one from the 70s, and never had issues running them as refrigerators. I sold freezers one and three to free up garage space and kept #2 to use for it intended purpose, no issue with it keeping things frozen.

That convertible looks nice, but I think I'd save my money and just get another (bigger) freezer and continue using your temp controller. I'm sure you'll get another 10 years out of it.

The user manual looks like the dual purpose is just a dual range thermostat. I checked the parts diagram and did not see anything special other than the dual range thermostat.
The user manual says 33.8°F (1°C) and 41°F (5°C) in refrigerator range and 6.8°F (-14°C) and -7.6°F (-22°C) in freezer mode.
The cycling of the compressor would be very similar letting the appliance thermostat control the temperature to what an Inkbird controller would do.
I replaced the temp controller in an upright freezer with a refrigerator temp controller and it runs just fine (no noticeable short cycles). This was cheaper than buying an external controller, but I do not have as fine of control over the temperature as an external controller would give me.
The external controllers already have delays built in to minimize short cycling and allow refrigerant to equalize prior to turning on compressor again.

The Inkbird (or other external controller) would give you a wider temperature range to select from.

I don't think a dual purpose chest freezer is worth paying that much more for, especially with the limited temp control range.

Thanks for the sanity check. Yes, I have gotten about 10 years out of this thing and who knows how long it had been running as a keezer before I got it.

I'll probably save that extra money for taking care of the other things I'll need. I cant really get a bigger freezer though, there's just not enough room in the spot that SWMBO lets me keep this in the house. :p

Another vote chiming in on "don't worry about it." The motor starter may fail a bit earlier, but that's cheap and easy to replace.

My first kreezer was a freezer that was from the 1980's, and as far as I could tell, had been in continuous usage as a freezer up until I got it in 2020. It "failed" a few months later. The starter died.

Background: Most compressors like this have two coils inside. A start coil and a run coil. When the thermostat switches the compressor on, both the start and run coils of the compressor get power. After about a second, perhaps less, the starter disengages the start coil on the compressor and keeps it off until power is shut off (thermostat turns off), at which point it will reset.

This starter would have failed even had I not converted the freezer to a kreezer with an external temp controller. It was just old. The plastic was disintegrating. I couldn't find a drop-in replacement, but universal starter controllers were available for like $10. I verified nothing else was broken by rigging up a light switch to the start coil in place of the starter. I'd turn on the light switch, turn on power to the kreezer, and then almost immediately flip off the light switch. The compressor fired up no problem. In fact I limped by for several weeks this way, cycling the kreezer several times a day manually.

Ultimately I decided to purchase a brand-new freezer as a replacement, as the energy savings should pay for it (eventually). And the new 14 cubic foot kreezer less than 1/2 the power that the old 10 cubic foot model from the 1980's used. Heck, the 14 cubic foot freezer from ~2011 I had that was in-use as a freezer at 0 °F used way less power than the 1980's 10 cubic foot that was set at 38 °F.

Bottom line is barring refrigerant leaks (like you had, and are more or less random unlucky-of-the-draw), don't worry about the freezer having shorter life when used as a kreezer.

Last edited:
just paying a lot extra for a second control range. Just get an Inkbird or similar for a few bucks.

UPDATE:
I just brought home a 10.2 cubic foot Insigia chest freezer from Best Buy. Got it for 349.99+tax. Saved $130.00 due to Labor Day sale price.

Several reviews show people using this model for keezers and they have good feedback.

From what I've seen on Craigslist, Nextdoor, FB Marketplace etc, this is a good deal. Lots of folks wanting near retail pricing for their used chest freezers. Pretty much all but some "beaters" cost too much IMO when you can buy a new one for a price like this.

Back