Free Online Beer Chemistry Course

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^

Yeah, same here, I saw where you could link it to your Facebook account, etc......But I have no clue what to do with it yet........

----
Once the Mozilla Backpack integration is complete you will be able to integrate it into systems that indicate Backpack badges (mostly tech related stuff). I will get more information on the Mozilla Backpack once it is in the system.

For now, we did try and make the e-mail as print friendly as possible. :)

----
Once the Mozilla Backpack integration is complete you will be able to integrate it into systems that indicate Backpack badges (mostly tech related stuff). I will get more information on the Mozilla Backpack once it is in the system.

For now, we did try and make the e-mail as print friendly as possible. :)

Whenever is fine with me Dr. Morvant, I would just like to thank you for offering the course, It was not easy ! ........:mug:

Well, I failed the course. I guess being a full-time grad student didn't help me find time to work through the tougher chemistry portions. Maybe I'll retake it sometime after I finish my degree.

Check out the new Avatar. I'm so glad I stuck with it. It's been a long time but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to more challenges.

Well, I failed the course. I guess being a full-time grad student didn't help me find time to work through the tougher chemistry portions. Maybe I'll retake it sometime after I finish my degree.

A fellow grad student, eh? What's your focus?

I managed to get a passing grade, but I bet having a chem minor as an undergrad helps.

I may have to look into this course sometime... I'm actually going to be attending OU starting this August to pursue a PhD in chemistry

Are you going to let us in on how you did that?

Sure, I just copied it from the email I received from Janux and pasted in to paint. Played with the text box a little and was actually able to delete my name and put in Brews. I was surprised it was that easy. Give it a try.

Thanks for the idea.

I did something a little different, but it seemed to work.
One more thing:

Mine's bigger than yours. :p

Ok, so what is the next step for cheapskates like myself? Besides brewing and entering competitions?

I don't have USD 3600 for this course!

Neither do I have the EUR 15k + expenses for this one!

I expect Dr Morvant to add the chemistry of water to the next course, I hope past graduates will be allowed to do that module as a standalone ;)

Badges for the course have been released. You can go to your profile on Janux or check your e-mail.

This was a great course to teach and I really appreciated the dialog on the forum. We will be putting your feedback to good use as we develop the course offering in the Fall.

Thank you, Dr. Morvant

Dr. Morvant, I look forward to taking this class in the fall!

Hi all - you can now enroll in the Fall class starting August 18. Dr Morvant also teaches a 'general chemistry' class online - I have also enrolled in this as I will need all the help I can get given I have nil chemistry background. Should be fun!!

Hi all - you can now enroll in the Fall class starting August 18. Dr Morvant also teaches a 'general chemistry' class online - I have also enrolled in this as I will need all the help I can get given I have nil chemistry background. Should be fun!!

I signed up for General Chemistry too, the chemistry alone was the part that almost killed me in the Beer course.... But I made it through.......:)

I signed up for the fall as well! Really excited and I'll be doing another course for my undergrad online through my university, along with this one for "fun". We shall see how it goes, been a few years since I've done any chemistry

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I wish I didn't work during the day! I'd take this in a heartbeat!

I think most of us who took the class worked during the day. You just have to dedicate some time after work to study. The weekend always helped me as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

The course work is open access. The lectures are recorded and available at any time. I work during the week, and on weekends. Did most of my work during days off and managed to stay up with the course. There were about two weeks between each lesson, which gives plenty of time to go through the material a few times when needed.

The course work is open access. The lectures are recorded and available at any time. I work during the week, and on weekends. Did most of my work during days off and managed to stay up with the course. There were about two weeks between each lesson, which gives plenty of time to go through the material a few times when needed.

Well in that case, I'll be signing up! I don't remember much from high school chemistry but I'm sure I'll still learn something.

I expect Dr Morvant to add the chemistry of water to the next course, I hope past graduates will be allowed to do that module as a standalone ;)

I took the last course, but I'd really like to take the water chemistry part the next time around. Does anybody know if we'll be able to do this?

I just signed up for this as well. I'm both excited and nervous, but for free I can't pass it up! I wasn't so great at chemistry in high school, but I also had little interest in it or motivation at the time.

I was just telling my wife how I wish I had gone less towards electrical engineering and more towards a biology/chem related major so I could work at a brewery. I guess this is a perfect chance for me to see if I want to go back to school for it.

To those who have done the course - roughly how many hours did you dedicate each week to reading and any homework. What is the average commitment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405171867.786487.jpg.

It's not easy, it will take time to go thru each area of the course....

Thanks. I get that it won't be easy and "will take time" but more interested in "how" long people put aside each week to achieve a pass result as this will help us all plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks. I get that it won't be easy and "will take time" but more interested in "how" long people put aside each week to achieve a pass result as this will help us all plan.

It's hard to figure a time per week, as it is more of a 'time per lesson' with each lesson being either two or three weeks in length. For each lesson, I figured that it took me about 3-4 hours to go through the material, about an hour on the pretest, a couple of hours going back and correcting the missed answers, a couple of hours recapping the salient points of the lesson before taking the test and about an hour or two on the test, depending upon the section. Some sections were very demanding and others gave me a breather. I ended up with an 85.2 for a final grade.

So basically, figure on 10 to 14 hours per lesson.

It's hard to figure a time per week, as it is more of a 'time per lesson' with each lesson being either two or three weeks in length. For each lesson, I figured that it took me about 3-4 hours to go through the material, about an hour on the pretest, a couple of hours going back and correcting the missed answers, a couple of hours recapping the salient points of the lesson before taking the test and about an hour or two on the test, depending upon the section. Some sections were very demanding and others gave me a breather. I ended up with an 85.2 for a final grade.

Thanks. That is helpful to assist plan out how much time may be needed to put aside to achieve good results in this course. Many thanks.

Thank you! That was extremely helpful to me!

The amount of time spent will be proportional to your chemistry and biochemistry knowledge. If you have little organic or biochem, you'll probably spend a lot of time learning the principles of chemistry before applying it to brewing. I spent maybe 4 to 5 hours per lesson section, but I also have a chemistry degree.

The amount of time spent will be proportional to your chemistry and biochemistry knowledge. If you have little organic or biochem, you'll probably spend a lot of time learning the principles of chemistry before applying it to brewing. I spent maybe 4 to 5 hours per lesson section, but I also have a chemistry degree.

I agree with this. I also think you either 'get' the organic chemistry or you don't. If you don't then you will remember the same amount if you spend 3 hours a week as you do if you study for 10 hours, if you do get it then spending a bit more time 'gets' you more understanding....

either way - if you don't get organic chem, still do the course.

Latest posts

Back